Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide or Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:41 AM
cocheese72
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Street Glide or Ultra Classic

Is there much of a difference between the Street Glide and Ultra Classic besides the trunk and lower fairing? Been looking for a Street Glide, but find many more Ultras around here. Thought I could get an Ultra and strip off the trunk if all things being equal and have a trunk to boot. Thanks for the input.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 AM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to do it all over again, I would have just bought the Ultra. I bought a 2009 Road Glide last year, but now I have a woman that loves to ride. Now, don't get me wrong, the RG is comfy and handles great....but the Ultra is like the cream of the crop.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain

Not much difference at all. They are the same frame/engine/running gear. It's all in the details. The Ultra has a lot of extras and it is cheaper to remove what you don't need/like than it is to add them later to a streetglide.

Tim

Old 02-26-2010, 09:55 AM
crash!!!
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Oldman Harley
Not much difference at all. They are the same frame/engine/running gear. It's all in the details. The Ultra has a lot of extras and it is cheaper to remove what you don't need/like than it is to add them later to a streetglide.

Tim
Agreed, I own an 06 streetglide. If I had to do it again I would go with the ultra classic as now my wife has become interested in riding and would like the trunk for a back rest and storage as well as the communication set up. Much cheaper to purchase than to add on later. Plus buy a short windshield and a quick release kit for the tour pack and you virtually have the street glide. Good luck in your decision either way you'll be happy!

Crash!!!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Kevin's_09FXDF
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cocheese72
Is there much of a difference between the Street Glide and Ultra Classic besides the trunk and lower fairing? Been looking for a Street Glide, but find many more Ultras around here. Thought I could get an Ultra and strip off the trunk if all things being equal and have a trunk to boot. Thanks for the input.
I wnet through this delema and decided to purchase an EG. and then slowly and cheaply tranformed it to what i like (still and on going project)

I went form this....

to this...

Old 02-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Bigfat
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard a lot of people say the same thing. If you are going back and forth on which one, the Ultra is the better bang for the buck. You can always take things off the Ultra a lot cheaper than putting thing on the S/G

Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 AM
fladawg01
Tourer

While I agree the street glide look is much sportier, I find that since owning my 06 Ultra, I have no regrets. As others have said the Ultra comes loaded. The Street Glide everyone wants to add on.

The EG Classic has one benefit the Ultra doesn't, it is much less expensive to do a removeable tour pak, due to not having all of the extra wiring a Ultra has on it's tour pak. With the Ultra there are speaker wires, communication wires, lighting wires, and antenna wires to deal with.

You either make a custom plug your self, have the dealer do it $$ or figure out a way to wrap them under your seat. I really don't mind the tour pak and have become accustomed to it, so I never have attempted this. That pak holds plenty of beer, clothing, and anything else you may have need to carry once in awhile. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Baggrmark
Cruiser

I went thru all the same,figured I could take off parts,never did take off anything but sure added to it!! I now couldn't imagine going without the extras on the Ultra.Plus the wife and I do alot of longer rides,many many overnighters,where all the extras come in real handy,you would be surprised how much stuff you can carry on the long trips,that will stay dry.
Mark

Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 AM
lilbruce
Road Master

I like the SG but the EG is nice too the reason I like the SG is bc at our dealership they have a screaming eagle one with apes on it and its badddddd

Old 02-26-2010, 12:07 PM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After my 08 SG got totaled, I bought an 09 SG. Love it. Sure I added driving lights and a detachable tour-pak, but the EG has too many extra chrome doodads on it for my tastes. Besides, the fenders on the SG look way better.

Quick Reply: Street Glide or Ultra Classic