Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

polycarbonate/lexan vs. acrylic windshields

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:17 PM
407Guy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default polycarbonate/lexan vs. acrylic windshields

Is one type of windshield REALLY better?

In the HD catalog they are using Lexan.

*shrug*

Thanks for any info.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Standard
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my ahole opinion, but I had a recurved windshield and it was nice. I bought a Fastaire windshield dark 10" just to try it out, but I loved the damn thing so much I have never taken it off. If I ever do it will be to replace it with another one. His windshield are priced so well, I could buy a few and still be under the price of those other shields out there. I know it is just my opinion, and the material debate is yours to work through, but I, along with others will rave about Fastaire windshields and their effectiveness/appearance and function. Its is a minimal investment to see what you like.....

Ride safe

Old 03-01-2010, 05:35 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 407Guy
Is one type of windshield REALLY better?

In the HD catalog they are using Lexan.

*shrug*

Thanks for any info.

Better depends on a couple of things. Function and safety. Plexi has better clarity, and marks can be buffed out. It will shatter on impact and could slice you up should you go through it.
Lexan is safer on impact and will usually bend out of the way. Clarity usually don't last long due it being easier to put micro swirls in it from normal cleaning.
Not that it matters much in bikes but acrylic can be heat formed to many shapes where as lexan is flat sheet that can only be forced into shape and held with restraints.
Ron

Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Standard
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man It is impossible to not be impressed and learn something here everyday. :O)

Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 PM
pork
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not exactly

Originally Posted by rbabos
Clarity usually don't last long due it being easier to put micro swirls in it from normal cleaning.
Not that it matters much in bikes but acrylic can be heat formed to many shapes where as lexan is flat sheet that can only be forced into shape and held with restraints.
Ron
No, actually, Lexan (GE's trademark) is a type of polycarbonate (generic name), and it is a thermoplastic, just like acrylic (Plexiglas). Both can be heated and shaped into forms; this is the definition of a thermoplastic. I have seen Lexan successfully thermoformed, many years ago. A thermoset cannot be heated and re-shaped.

Lexan was originally developed for, and continues to be used in, applications requiring higher strength than acrylic, as well as higher abrasion resistance. So, Lexan actually is more difficult to scratch thab acrylic. Those are the two main reasons why Lexan is used in windshields.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:41 AM
407Guy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone.

Anyone else have personal experiences between the two?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:53 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Always thought this vid was cool especially the shotgun !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXwcgSYjws

The following users liked this post:
Curlyjoe69 (05-07-2019)
Old 03-02-2010, 01:01 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I work with the stuff.
Lots of good information above.
Polycarbonate is safer as it is flexible and won't easily shatter.
It can be formed though some companies offer flat panels which, since they're flexible, can be curved as they're inslalled if the material is thin enough.
Some companies offer coated poly that is more scratch resistant, though this costs more.
I'd always choose poly for safety. If you're careful you can keep the fine scratches to a minimum and your shield will last years. They're not that expensive that you can't replace one every five years if it gets scratched.
I'd avoid putting acrylic on your bike. There are already enough sharp objects to snag your ***** on should you fall.
Edit: I think the video says it better than anything.

Last edited by jberg; 03-02-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:07 PM
FastFreddie1
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 407Guy
Thanks everyone.

Anyone else have personal experiences between the two?
Personally I have stayed with the Lexan from Harley and its been a great product from the get go if you know what I mean. Never have had a problem with it. Always cleans up real good and I never use anything on it othere than a Micro Soft Rag along with a spray plastic polish cleaner. Can't stand a dirty windshield so I am cleaning off buggs and crap all the time. You never see me riding my RK's wiithout the windshields in place!

Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pork
No, actually, Lexan (GE's trademark) is a type of polycarbonate (generic name), and it is a thermoplastic, just like acrylic (Plexiglas). Both can be heated and shaped into forms; this is the definition of a thermoplastic. I have seen Lexan successfully thermoformed, many years ago. A thermoset cannot be heated and re-shaped.

Lexan was originally developed for, and continues to be used in, applications requiring higher strength than acrylic, as well as higher abrasion resistance. So, Lexan actually is more difficult to scratch thab acrylic. Those are the two main reasons why Lexan is used in windshields.
Originally Posted by jberg
I work with the stuff.
Lots of good information above.
Polycarbonate is safer as it is flexible and won't easily shatter.
It can be formed though some companies offer flat panels which, since they're flexible, can be curved as they're inslalled if the material is thin enough.
Some companies offer coated poly that is more scratch resistant, though this costs more.
I'd always choose poly for safety. If you're careful you can keep the fine scratches to a minimum and your shield will last years. They're not that expensive that you can't replace one every five years if it gets scratched.
I'd avoid putting acrylic on your bike. There are already enough sharp objects to snag your ***** on should you fall.
Edit: I think the video says it better than anything.
Thank you! I was about to explain the supiorority of Lexan over Acrylic but you guys did a fine job...I've been working in thermoplastics for over 20 years working with both thermoplastics and thermoset materials.

Quick Reply: polycarbonate/lexan vs. acrylic windshields