Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket stereo....... Help me choose one!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket stereo....... Help me choose one!

I'm getting ready to purchase a stereo/speakers for my soon-to-be installed batwing fairing, on my RKC, so I need some help on which head unit to buy. I've read and read, but not a lot of "aftermarket" names come up, mostly just add-ons to the factory HK unit from Biketronics and Hawg wired.

Thanks for the help, Jon

Old 03-08-2010, 12:01 AM
Joe Squid
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a sony in mine that I bought at best buy $88 dollars I believe, replaced my fairing speakers with a 6.5 adapter and a pair of kicker speakers.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

I just picked up a Sony CDX-GT540 which has the USB port in front for my Ipod. Used the HW install kit and install was a breeze and I'm quite happy with the HU. Works like a dream and paid $109 on Amazon.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Heathen
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought same unit as Badbagger and used Biketronics speakers and amp. Very happy with performance of this unit.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Kenwood head unit, typical AM/FM, CD & USB for ipod or memory stick. Don't remember how much $ but, was a bit spendy at the time ('07). A few things to keep in mind: 1. These are automotive units, don't think there very rain friendly. 2. I almost exclusively use the USB port, no skipping in digital files like a CD. 3. Automotive radio displays are not ment for viewing in direct sun light. Mine has a small screen, several display options, just what my stereo guy suggested & can't see chit! I've just gotten used to it.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Rocker69
Intermediate

I am in the same boat your in. After talking to a bunch of the fairing makers, it seems like the Sony CDX-*** models seem to be the radio of choice for a few reasons. First, they have a pretty nice size volume **** on the front that is easy to use with gloves on compaired to a volune button or smaller ****. Second the USB port in the front, 99% of the CD's wont work on the bike so the USB memory stick thing seems to be the way to go. Although, remember that with the memory stic in, you can't close the "rain door" that most come with. Third, most of the Sony's are at least 45 watts times four, some are as hight as 70 watts times four. Hope this helps! BTW...what fairing did you decide to go with? I have done abunch of reading on here, I have it down to two but can't decide. Good luck!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I changed my radio out and went with the Sony CDX-M60UI, the Hawg-Wired install kit ,amp and speakers and couldn't be happier, I bought the double shot 150w amp and speaker package, I bought mine through dumbassbiker.com as he gave me the best price, if you just want to do the radio all you need is the radio and install kit, my radio listed for $199, I bought it through amazon.com for $142 to the door, this radio being marine has uv and moisture protection, it has the usb port as well, visibility in sun light is no problem either, the face can illuminate in red or blue, which I needed as I have Dakota Digital Gauges in blue, being marine it will say in the literature the usb port is in the rear of the radio, in our case making it useless, but it isn't really it comes out of the rear on about a 4' cord with a waterproof cover over it, I just ran the cord out my hanlebar hole zip tied it to the base, you can't really see it and I just pull the cap off plug in there and it works fine

Old 03-08-2010, 10:04 AM
jorswift
Road Captain

I too, am looking for an after market radio for my future purchase of a Woodys! I am thinking more along the lines of a marine setup, as it will be subject to rain and hose water. I will probably play most songs through radio or Ipod. So I am looking for something to pump some quality sound!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I use to run a Dragonfly fairing on a previous bike with the Sony M50ip marine unit and it was resonably price and had no issues. Also had the ipod docking cable which was nice. It's now replaced with the Sony CDX-M60UI.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Big Twi$t
Stellar HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

If you are mainly going to connect an ipod/iphone...I would go with an Alpine. They have the best ipod/iphone interface. And now with Hawg Wired's universal radio adapter, an Alpine head unit will work with your hand controls. It is literally plug and play (I should know, I'm using one). I installed an Alpine ida-x305...it is a dedicated digital media head unit, meaning it does not have a CD player. Who needs a cd player anymore anyway? It has a nice big **** (if needed) and big screen to see as well. I have no issues seeing it during the day.

I've been in the mobile audio scene since I was 15...almost 30 years. Alpine has always given performance value in their products. With that being said, I'm not saying they are the best, nor am I saying that all their products are as good...I'm just telling it like it is.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo....... Help me choose one!