Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage III 103 and manual decomp???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 AM
cuzkee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage III 103 and manual decomp???

My 10 SG is in the shop now having the Stage III 103 kit installed. I forgot to mention it to the mechanics last week, but just how important is a manual decompression lever on this bike? Starting while hot, some folks seem to need it frequently, while others don't and have good luck with the auto decomp.

Ya think I should call them today and have manuals put on now while the bike is apart?

FWIW, I live in Colorado.

Thanks.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I would suggest you have compression releases installed while the bike is down. Not much of an expense now, but will be alot more to tear down and do later if needed.

As far as manual or automatic, the manuals are cheaper and very reliable. But I have never known anyone personally who had trouble with the automatic ones.

Dennis

Old 04-09-2010, 09:16 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cuzkee
My 10 SG is in the shop now having the Stage III 103 kit installed. I forgot to mention it to the mechanics last week, but just how important is a manual decompression lever on this bike? Starting while hot, some folks seem to need it frequently, while others don't and have good luck with the auto decomp.

Ya think I should call them today and have manuals put on now while the bike is apart?

FWIW, I live in Colorado.

Thanks.
Cuzkee,
I have a 103" Stage III in my '09 UC and I don't have compression releases at all. So far (21,000 miles in 55 weeks), I have not had a situation where I couldn't get the motor to turn over. I do have 10.5:1 comp ration as well.

If you have the $ to do the manuals, I'd so go for it as an extra sense of comfort...but not an absolute necessity!

You're going to love the 103...Riding up Vail Pass, Floyd Hill, Wilkerson Pass, Monarch Pass, Wolf Creek Pass...all in 6th gear at 65 - 70 mph and just cruising on up is a blast!!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:21 AM
cuzkee
Advanced

Originally Posted by KoalaCowboy
Cuzkee,
I have a 103" Stage III in my '09 UC and I don't have compression releases at all. So far (21,000 miles in 55 weeks), I have not had a situation where I couldn't get the motor to turn over. I do have 10.5:1 comp ration as well.

If you have the $ to do the manuals, I'd so go for it as an extra sense of comfort...but not an absolute necessity!

You're going to love the 103...Riding up Vail Pass, Floyd Hill, Wilkerson Pass, Monarch Pass, Wolf Creek Pass...all in 6th gear at 65 - 70 mph and just cruising on up is a blast!!
Yea Buddy! Those are some great rides. 6th gear???? Wow! Can't wait to see this.

I'll call the guys at Sun and see how much manuals are to install, and at what stage of tear-down the bike is in now.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cuzkee
Yea Buddy! Those are some great rides. 6th gear???? Wow! Can't wait to see this.

I'll call the guys at Sun and see how much manuals are to install, and at what stage of tear-down the bike is in now.

Thanks for the tips guys!
Yeah, if the heads are still off it should be around $100 for the machine work and the releases. I did it on mine and am glad I did.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:35 PM
bagger76
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished a 103" kit and went for the automatic ones, no reason for not using the manual ones,But what they didnt say was the computer has to be turned on at the dealers to run auto releases so while i waited to see the dealer my bike started ok without them but the starter was making alot more noise.now that they are working the bike starts great im glad i did it.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:42 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Running 251 cams you will probably never need the comp releases especially at 5000 elevation, I am running 10.3(10.5 pistons with .040 HG, 251 cams 103" 08 FLHX) in So Cal and have never experienced a problem....yet. I may go to a earlier closing cam , around 42 degrees and if I do I may consider the auto releases as my heads(SE MVA) are already machined for the auto's and I am running the SE Pro Super tuner.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:44 PM
saw*me
Tourer

Didn't get them with the motor build but after I wished that I did. I never had a problem starting the bike but when it's hot it will scare the hell out of the people around you. I'd say go for it if the $ is there it'll probably save some time left on your starter.

Tom

Old 04-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Crusing
Road Captain

I did not and wish I had. If I were doing it again I would definately install CRs or ACRs.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Compression releases on any build is insurance that if done at the time of the build, does not add that much expense. I would never do a build without them.

Quick Reply: Stage III 103 and manual decomp???