Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered forks--how much oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Lowered forks--how much oil

How much fork oil should I put in my HD lowered forks?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:57 AM
gordon.d.schmidt
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installation instructions say:

- Pour 11.2 ounces (330 ml) of Harley-Davidson Type E Fork Oil into the fork tube. Pump fork tube until some resistance is felt then pump a few more times to remove air from system.

- Adjust the fork oil level, so that it is 4.92 inches (125 mm) from the top of the fork tube with the fork tube compressed, the main spring removed.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:24 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

Thanks for the reply gordon. Do I have to remove the forks to remove the spring? I am really looking for an amount to pour in without removing forks or springs or measuring. I'm not really up to all that. I want to change it and ride.l

Thanks

Old 04-15-2010, 02:51 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

If you don't get the air chamber volume as stated your spring rate will be affected, too low lower spring rate ,too high higher spring rate. The air chamber works in concert with the metal springs to provide the spring rate . You could have saved what came out to put exactly that back in. Measuring fork oil level is just like the dipstick for your motor. You put so much in and then run it a little then add to full.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:49 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

qtracer

Thanks. I'll probably catch whatever oil comes out and replace with that amount. I've seem posts where guys have had different amounts in each fork so I was looking for a specific amount for each one.

If there are different amounts in each fork then I'll just measure 4.92" frome the top like gordon said.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 PM
frydaddy96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The forks need to come out to remove the spring. Easy to do on a rainy morning or afternoon. Did you already have them lowered? If so, why changing oil?
When I put Ricor Intiminators in my forks, I pulled several ounces of oil out with the fork compressed and the spring removed to get the level to what the manual says. If you don't want to remove the forks, see what the difference is between the 11.2 and what you get out. Then experiment to get the ride you like. Just make sure you add/remove the same amount of oil from each side.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:58 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

frydaddy
Thanks for the reply. I had the dealer lower the front(however they do that) and install low profile(StreetGlide) shocks on the rear along with a reach seat so I could get my feet on the ground.

I want to try some heavier oil in the forks.

Thanks for all the input y'all.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:08 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Unless the lowered forks require a different amount of fluid, I'm pretty sure the manual calls for 10.8 ounces.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:18 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior

rthomp

I guess that's the information I'm looking for. Do the lowered shocks require less oil?
I thought they would but I'm not sure.

Thanks

Old 04-15-2010, 09:37 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you have to pull the top plugs on the forks to put the oil in anyway - you might just take a wire and measure where the oil level is from the top of your tree or forks or whatever you want to measure from.

When you fill it back up just be sure to fill it to the same amount after pumping the front end to make sure the oil has "settled" in the lower tubes.

If you overfill don't sweat it. Just take a syringe with rubber tube on it and suck the oil back out until you get the desired level.

If you want to be sure you have it right you might want to check it after a ride of at least 5 miles.

Not having different level fluid in each tube is very bad juju. Screws with your handling big time.

Last edited by BoomerBob; 04-16-2010 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Lowered forks--how much oil