Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint for acrylic windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 01:57 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint for acrylic windshield

Wanted to paint the inside lower part of a windvest shield. The gun smoke one i just got for my Road glide is not painted on the inside down low as a lot of them are to hide the bumpers and rubber mounting area. Saw somewhere that people have painted them but want to make sure i have some stuff that will stick. Any suggestions on what brand flat black? I'm all taped and ready to paint.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:28 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts
Old 04-17-2010, 05:25 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if your painting the inside of a windshield just tape it off where the paint is going to end scuff it with a red scotch bright pad. Wipe it with lacquer thinner or wax and grease remover then paint.. If its in a position where your not going to really see the inside lacquer will work and thru the plastic it will be shinny on the outside.. I used to do bug guards for trucks all the time painting the inside of a clear guard to match the vehicle and it worked great.. You can even use contrasting colors..

Old 04-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Hmmm...I just painted a cop-looking shorty helmet I bought for road trips with the Krylon fusion paint.
I taped off the black part of the helmet, along with the DOT sticker, and painted the top black with the fusion. It is noticeably very dull compared to the original paint, and I didn't sand it- just used solvent to clean, so it had a smooth surface to bond to. (they say you don't need to sand for it)

Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
Hmmm...I just painted a cop-looking shorty helmet I bought for road trips with the Krylon fusion paint.
I taped off the black part of the helmet, along with the DOT sticker, and painted the top black with the fusion. It is noticeably very dull compared to the original paint, and I didn't sand it- just used solvent to clean, so it had a smooth surface to bond to. (they say you don't need to sand for it)
actually the solvent in the paint will make it take a bite but i like to scuff it with the red scotch brite just because.
old school i guess...

Old 04-17-2010, 06:48 PM
up2nogood22
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this a week ago using cheap gloss black after cleaning with lighter fluid. This was per Doug at Windvest's instruction.

BTW: I got the 14" Light Smoke, and he is going to send me a new one because the ones on the website show them painted. He said he has newer stock that is.....

Old 04-19-2010, 02:03 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Before you invest a dime, let alone a dollar, in that acrylic windshield, watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsls5ZPCUnE

Old 04-19-2010, 06:35 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Acrylic vs. polycarbonate

I just watched the above video. I read just lately that Cee Baileys which makes aircraft windshields Uses aircraft grade acrylic for their motorcycles. If acrylics are so bad why would a company like Cee Baileys use them? Now i wonder what the windshield that i bought from Windvest is made from. HD uses the Lexan i think. After what i read on the Cee Baileys site i thought that the acrylics where better than i see a video like the one above. Could some one explain these two plastics a little more? Really don't want to ride around with something that shatters in the video like that in front of me. Could that have been some cheap brand acrylic windshield is there any standards these have to meet?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Acrylic windshields

They all shatter like in this video???

Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

No doubt that polycarb is better. My new riding glasses will be made of this stuff. But I dare you to sit behind your shield and let me fire a GUN at it! I call BS on the bulletproof angle! Or maybe the bullets went through it - it looked like it just dented, and THAT did not happen, save maybe on the rocksalt.

Quick Reply: Paint for acrylic windshield