Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to wire Garmin Zumo 660

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:54 AM
markspiteri
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How to wire Garmin Zumo 660

Hi dear all,

I will be renting a Ultra Classic 2010 model from Las Vegas Harley Davidson dealership next Month, and need to know the best way to wire the Garmin Zumo 660.

With the GPS, I have the cigarette lighter wiring (for car). Can I use this ? If I am not mistaken, this bike has a cig lighter right?

If not , I need to use the cable supplied with the cradle. How do i connect this? Appreciate your help....

Mark
(Malta)

Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this....

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12-volt...g-adapter.html

I dont know if the 660 is the same as the 550. My 550 car mount is a suction cup and would not trust that on the bike. Besides the also is through the auto mount.

If you use this cord in the cig lighter you can use the motorcycle mount and use the aux port on the radio. Just bring some ty-wraps to secure the extra wire. I took the time shorten the wires and use some heat shrink.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:19 PM
markspiteri
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mtbottles
Try this....

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12-volt...g-adapter.html

I dont know if the 660 is the same as the 550. My 550 car mount is a suction cup and would not trust that on the bike. Besides the also is through the auto mount.

If you use this cord in the cig lighter you can use the motorcycle mount and use the aux port on the radio. Just bring some ty-wraps to secure the extra wire. I took the time shorten the wires and use some heat shrink.

Had a look at the stuff that came with the 660, and you are right, the cig lighter included with it only fits in the car mount (with suction) hence I cannot use it.
With regards to the cradle that fits in the RAM mount, this has cables welded in it...so not sure what to do.

Can i connect the cable to the battery? Is it complicated?

Old 04-19-2010, 12:23 PM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

http://www.zumoforums.com/

Go to this site there are a lot of talented people who have already do what you are trying to do.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Get a home charger and run it off the internal battery....charge at night in motel.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a male cig lighter plug and wire it up using the motorcycle cradle power wire. Take some tape or tie wraps too.

BTW-Check out the Mt. Charleston ride recommended by LVHD. Thirty degrees temperature difference when you get to the top! Take some gloves and a jacket. I froze my @$$ off. Was 102 degrees at MGM when I left and while 70 degrees is not really cold, it is kinda chilly when yer sweaty. Valley of Fire was a nice ride too...

Old 04-20-2010, 08:11 AM
NYBagger92
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if'n you plug into the cig lighter on the lower left of the fairing.... be very careful, and remember to take out the plug before twisting the bars all the way left to lock the bike.

ask me why i say this.

i'll bet there are 20+ guys that could respond that they did the same thing once or twice.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
Get a home charger and run it off the internal battery....charge at night in motel.
Yep, this is your easiest route

Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go to a place that sells parts for boats, search for marine supply. They will have a universal cig. lighter adaptor you can splice into the power wire from your Zumo and plug into the cig lighter. It will have a water resistant ring on it to help prevent it from shorting out in the rain.

Harley doesn't recommend you power it from the cigarette lighter, but I ran my Zumo 550 this way for over a year before I hard wired it behind the fairing.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:09 AM
llcustom
Intermediate

I also took the hard wired motorcycle wire and put on a sig lighter and plug it in the faring. I wanted to be able to remove the cradle and all the wires when I slop for the night, I do want to take the chance of some A$$hole seeing the cradle and start prying open my bags looking for the GPS or when I do not want to use the GPS. I used a low profile plug and have never had an issue, but after hearing NYBagger warning I have to go look.

Quick Reply: How to wire Garmin Zumo 660