Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2009 Road King won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:01 PM
halfbreed
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 2009 Road King won't start.

I have just finished adding HD engine guard fog lamps to my 2009 FLHP. I followed the HD instructions and the lights work great. Unfortunately, the bike will not start. Before I insgtalled the lights, I removed the gas tank following the instructions in the HD service manual. I removed the 15 amp fuel pump fuse, started the bike until it quit, cranked it for a few seconds longer, removed the fuel line, removed the 40 amp main fuse, and replaced the 15 amp fuel pump fuse. Removed the dash and gas tank and proceded to make all the electrical connections. Put everything back, and checked the lights and they work great. However, when I turn on the ignition the low fuel light comes on and the gas guage does not move. I checked the fuses for continuity and they are fine. I even filled the gas tank, which was probably a mistake if I have to remove it again, and no change. Still the low fuel light and nothing on the gas guage. I feel the fuel pump is not getting power. What have I done wrong? I did check the plug under the fuel tank and I did connect it after I put the tank back on the bike. Any suggestions? Thanks, Halfbreed

Old 04-30-2010, 07:16 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

recheck and make sure you connected all the wires you took apart, use your owners manual to see which cables you unplugged could be the one rear of tank from under console by front of seat. did you put the fuses back in he right places.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:32 AM
halfbreed
Cruiser

ucommbxny:
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, I believe I did connect all wires, plugs, etc., and I did make sure all fuses are in the proper location. I also checked and even replaced the fuel pump fuse "just in case". I think I will drain the gas tank and remove the dash and tank and see if I missed something. At age 74, no telling what I did!! Halfbreed

Old 05-01-2010, 07:41 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Can you be more specific about not starting - Does the engine crank when you hit the button? Does she try to fire or just spin endlessly?

Did you re-connect the fuel line?

Old 05-01-2010, 06:00 PM
halfbreed
Cruiser

King King King:
Sorry bout that! Yes, the motor does crank, but does not start. The low fuel light stays on and the gas guage does not move. Yes, I did re-connect the fuel line (real easy "quick connection" on the 09's). I took it all apart again this afternoon and made shure I did not miss anything. I do have power at the harness end connector on the line which goes to the fuel guage. This enters the tank on the lower left side. I have also lifted the fuel guage and my next step will be to check the continuity on these wires. I may have damaged one when I first removed the tank and set it on my bench. Nothing shows from the outside, but I may be broken on the inside. I really hope this is the problem. That will be an easy fix. I went to an independent Harley mechanic today and he told me I should have not released the pressure in the tank. I said I was just following the instructions in the HD service manual. He claims he never releases the pressure when he removes a tank. Aside from that comment, he has no suggestions other than "bring it in!" I want to exhaust all possibilities at my limited mechanical skill level before I bring it into a shop. It is still under warrantee, but I do not feel I am entitled to ask Harley to correct something I did. Halfbreed

Old 05-01-2010, 10:17 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

I have had my tank off a heap of times and I have never bled off the pressure. When you pull the fuel line off just have a rag in your hand to soak up a little squirt of fuel.

I havent even read that section of the service manual, i didnt know it said to bleed it!!

Can you hear the fuel pump hissing when you turn the bike on?

Can you hear the throttle body click when you first turn the bike on?

Pull the spark plugs out and see if you can smell fuel when you crank the engine.

I seriously doubt you broke a wire when you pulled the tank, everything is pretty tough. I have forgotten to reconnect the little square black connector for the fuel gauge on the lower left side and the bike still runs.

I would double check the big connector onto the fuel tank and check the fuel pump fuse is ok.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM
halfbreed
Cruiser

Kingkingking
You are correct! I double checked the big connector into the gas tank and it was not tight! That was the last thing I checked this afternoon, and that was the problem. Once that was properly connected, the bike started right up. I was at a point where I was going to load the bike on my trailer and take it to the Harley shop. Thanks, I really appreciate it. This is a great forum and there is a wealth of knowledge among the members. I really appreciate all the information and help. Halfbreed

Old 05-04-2010, 12:16 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to hear you got it up and running