Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 05-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Road Master
Default Bull Whip on a Touring Bike? What's up with that?

I saw one on a Touring bike today for the 1st time but I've seen them on other bikes for years.

Why do guys put bull whips on their handle bars? My friend said they whip cars or other bikers with them but that doesnt make any sense. I always see them on the throttle side so the bike would be slowing down and they would be swinging it against the wind.

I would imagine other people would grab it and cause more problems for them then they could do harm with it?

So whats the deal? Is it just another thing to try to look like a tough guy or is there some history behind it Im not aware of?

Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Club Member
Mike Marler

It's called a get back. It's decorative.

2007 FLHP with some mods. 100% home built

Dress like men. Wrench like monkeys.
And ride like mf-ers.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

I have been riding for 32 years and still have no idea why the hell anyone would want something like that hanging off their bike.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Road Master

I assume its obvious that its not my thing but Im really not trying to talk crap I really want to know what its all about.

If its meant to be used as a weapon I honestly think it would hurt them more than it would help. If someone grabbed that and pulled they would have a hell of a time keeping that bike on 2 wheels.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Prospect

They normally have a quick release clip to keep someone from pulling you over or to grab it quickly. Some of my buddy's have them and they use them more for decoration to display their club colors. Trust me though you could get someones attention in a heart beat whipping it at their window.

Old-School "Getback Whip"
The History Lesson
There's a history behind these "Getback Whips". Back in the day, you'd see bikers hanging whips from their clutch or brake levers as they rode. The leather whips were usually made from the biker's club colors. But the whips were used for a whole lot more than just showing off the club colors. The whip could be quickly released and used "in case of emergency" to swing at anything that was causing a threat to the biker, hence the name "Get Back Whip". Whips attract attention and help catch the eye of other drivers. Today the whips are used for asthetic reasons, colors are choosen to match the bikes.

You can find more by doing an internet search. I found this one at ironbraid.com.

2004 HD FLHT Black
2004 Suzuki Volusia White/Silver

Its not worth doing unless your having fun while doing it...
Old 05-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Prospect

You could double its use by bringing it into the bedroom at night. Hope that helped.

2004 HD FLHT Black
2004 Suzuki Volusia White/Silver

Its not worth doing unless your having fun while doing it...

Last edited by Antnee 2004 FLHT; 05-10-2010 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: For some reason the site double posted me.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Extreme HDF Member

Yep, it's for various reasons.

Click the image to open in full size.

2006 Silver Road Glide
Marine Corps 1968 - 1993 GySgt (Ret)
JFFJ
IBA 44945 SS1Kx1D
I hate winter.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antnee 2004 FLHT View Post
They normally have a quick release clip to keep someone from pulling you over or to grab it quickly. Some of my buddy's have them and they use them more for decoration to display their club colors. Trust me though you could get someones attention in a heart beat whipping it at their window.

The History Lesson
There's a history behind these "Getback Whips". Back in the day, you'd see bikers hanging whips from their clutch or brake levers as they rode. The leather whips were usually made from the biker's club colors. But the whips were used for a whole lot more than just showing off the club colors. The whip could be quickly released and used "in case of emergency" to swing at anything that was causing a threat to the biker, hence the name "Get Back Whip". Whips attract attention and help catch the eye of other drivers. Today the whips are used for asthetic reasons, colors are choosen to match the bikes.

You can find more by doing an internet search. I found this one at ironbraid.com.
Sounds like a sales pitch to me. I have been around 1% clubs most my life and never started seeing those until the last 10 or 15 years. Even as a kid I was around Mongals and Red & White. I just never saw those back in the day.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Road Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antnee 2004 FLHT View Post

The History Lesson

Interesting history but, man, how things have changed. You whip somebody's car these days and they are either gonna run you over or shoot you in a road rage incident.

Crazy to say, but the days of fisticuffs, knives, chains and whips are more and more a thing of the past. Those days almost sound quaint!

I and maybe most of us could crush a wee little gang banger if the punk kid didn't have a 9mm in his pocket. You just never know now. Unreal.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Hang Around

i have a buddy that use to be in an outlaw gang,he said they were originally used by the headdogs to show who the leaders were.he was probably feeding me some bs tho.
(Cars Suck) "09 Ultra Classic" Flame Blue Pearl, Rhinehart slipons, Stage one Screaming Eagle breather kit, J&M 7.25 and 5.25 front and rear speaker upgrade, Wild 1 14in bagger apes,Color matched inner fairing, Chrome passanger floorboard trim, HD Chrome luggage rack, Chrome fairing trim, Chrome visors, Flame floorboards, Flame grips, Flame shifter pegs, Flame brake pad, Flame highway pegs, Flame mirrors and stems
Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 AM

P