Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CELL PHONES - what percent of cagers???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:29 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CELL PHONES - what percent of cagers???

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I think it is high time the Feds pass a national law to abolish the #1 cause of inattentive driving:

cell phone usage

Most of us are alert and super cautious cyclists watching the cagers diligently so we can live to ride another day.

And all of the traffic FU or close calls I have seen or been in, involve someone with the right hand up on the right ear - like an incident with me yesterday:

In Green Bay, a middle-aged dude gets in the left lane to enter the hiway ramp with his blinker on and then at the very last second figures out it he is at the wrong onramp so he swings back to the thru traffic lane at about 35 mph with me in it - a$$wipe didn't see me at all - had his XJ6 logo less than one foot from my front tire. [sm=wtf.gif] [sm=wakeup.gif]

If I was packing, would have pulled it out and put one in the back of his head at close range. Hey, he almost did me in.

My educated guess is that here in Wisconsin, 35% of drivers are on their cell phones at any given time. Your estimates???

Maybe somehow we at HDFORUMS.com can collectively put an end to this DEADLY behavior as a group of very conscientious and safety concerned motorists.

Thanks for listening.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:02 AM
mcman
Cruiser
Default RE: CELL PHONES - what percent of cagers???

Yep, you're right and to be truthful, I'm guilty of it myself when I'm not on a motorcycle. It takes your mind off your driving and there probably should be a law against it. Now, getting one passed would no doubt take that proverbial "act of congress". Sometimes I wish the d--- things had never been invented but they do come in handy in many instances. However, that's the world we live in. I'm glad you didn't buy the farm on this one.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:05 AM
lowleveldriver
Tourer

dc you worry about Green Bay? dude NYC is the capital of a%^ holes on cellphones while driving. I almost got wiped out with a lady on the phone and blasting through the stop sign. She didn't even see me until here kids screamed. I know what you mean, my buddy got knock clean off last week, lady ran a stop sign and lucky for him where she hit the bike was in the saddle bag area. If his wife was there see would have been history. He will need about $9000.00 in dental work and grow new skin on his right arm.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:06 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Get your self a VERY LOUD HORN, they just love it. You can come very close to scare the CRAP out of them with it too.

Bob

Old 08-13-2006, 11:11 AM
lowleveldriver
Tourer

I have the airhorn for that same reason, but their focus is on talking, not driving. NY has a law but like every law these dip Sh&*s do what ever they want until someone gets hurt.

Old 08-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Every friggin person I drive by is gabbing of the phone. Hang up and pay attention!

Old 08-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Grover
Admin "Kicking The Crap Out Of Spammers"

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

Can't do that. Too expensive. We would have to build parking spaces all along the roads for the important people to stop and talk on the cell phone. It would be worse than trying to find a parking spot in front of Wal-Mart on the first of the month.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:12 PM
BluRooster
Tourer

Cell phones and people smoking. They're both killers in more ways than one.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:22 PM
wldhogn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HD Renegade

Get your self a VERY LOUD HORN, they just love it. You can come very close to scare the CRAP out of them with it too.

Bob
Air horns are very cool until you have some jerk cut you off and you're a foot from his bumper and he hears the air horn, panics and hits the brakes .... OOOOOOOOOOOPS. I saw that happen to a rider on Interstate 5 in Los Angeles and he almost ate it. I guess the moral of the story is if you're going to use that awesome horn .. don't be directly behind the dingbat in the car. Los Angeles (along with NYC) is the cell phone capital of the world and there is talk here of baning the use of cell phones in vehicles here except for the "hands free" setups like "Bluetooth". Have a safe day out there folks!!

Old 08-13-2006, 12:26 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

Bob
Advice heeded along time ago.

After one week on the scoot with the wimpy a$$ OEM horn, I got a Rivco air horn (135dB). [IMG]local://upfiles/5166/A85FABAA445D444B9F9205775BF03FAC.jpg[/IMG]

I use it frequently - but you know what, in those split second close calls like I had yesterday, you just don't have the time - I react first, then blast the bejesus out of 'em.

Cagers do HEAR the air horns - the OEM horns were freakin' useless - better off with one of these rubber bulb bicycle horns

[IMG]local://upfiles/5166/7D896D8D6ED94ABE99B5F51030D7E51A.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: CELL PHONES - what percent of cagers???