Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change from 5 Speed To 6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:28 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I traded my 02 RKC for an 09 SG. I was trying to be careful breaking in the 09, but I hit the rev-limiter because the 02 didn't have a tach or a rev-limiter. I didn't realize how I RPMs I cruised on my 02 until I got the 09. Even with the six speed of the 09, I get about the same gas mileage as I did with my 02 at the higher cruise RPMs.

Beary

Old 05-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
I've done almost half a million miles on a wide variety of bikes and on every one of them have looked for another gear at some time! It is normal IMHO, but doesn't mean we have to fit an extra gear, or yet another one....
I agree Graham...It was just habit for me...after 45k miles on my 6 spd...i do the same on my wife Suzuki...No big deal...i would get use to it like anything else./...

Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

i think a 103 would pull a taller primary gear just fine and would be less exspensive IF he does A:LOT of highway miles.if u go with a direct 6 speed the 1-1 finall ratio doesnt do a bit of good at higher speeds without taller gearing.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,920 Likes on 8,432 Posts

I have the 103 kit on the 06RG and installed the Baker DD6. Well worth it and the motor handles it well. You can have a choice of first gear ratios. One that is pretty much like the stock tranny and the other is a little taller. I opted for the taller gearing because the 103 will wrap up in first gear pretty fast. Be sure you have the heavy duty pressure plate on your clutch when running a 6 speed. The stock plate has a pink rectangle on it so it makes it easy to tell if the builder did the upgrade.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
i think a 103 would pull a taller primary gear just fine and would be less exspensive IF he does A:LOT of highway miles.if u go with a direct 6 speed the 1-1 finall ratio doesnt do a bit of good at higher speeds without taller gearing.
I run an S&S 107 and have the stock evo 5-speed. My wife and I have just got back from a 2,500 mile tour of Europe and punched along at up to 95mph (on German autobahns!). It really is OK to travel along at around 4k rpm in top gear - nothing stops it!

Old 05-25-2010, 05:55 AM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
I have the 103 kit on the 06RG and installed the Baker DD6. Well worth it and the motor handles it well. You can have a choice of first gear ratios. One that is pretty much like the stock tranny and the other is a little taller. I opted for the taller gearing because the 103 will wrap up in first gear pretty fast. Be sure you have the heavy duty pressure plate on your clutch when running a 6 speed. The stock plate has a pink rectangle on it so it makes it easy to tell if the builder did the upgrade.
So let me understand this. Will the taller gears give me less RPMS at say cruising speeds or more. I know my 08 SG gives me about 2500 at 70mph. From reading their website it appears that the DD6 is their top of the line transmission. How does it compare cost wise to the SE version. I am assuming these are both bolt in in either case. I really apprecite all this info guys. Thanks again!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdoo
So let me understand this. Will the taller gears give me less RPMS at say cruising speeds or more. I know my 08 SG gives me about 2500 at 70mph. From reading their website it appears that the DD6 is their top of the line transmission. How does it compare cost wise to the SE version. I am assuming these are both bolt in in either case. I really apprecite all this info guys. Thanks again!
Yes! If you fit an overdrive gearbox with .86 top gear, you will get .86 x rpm for the same road speed. So at 70mph it would give you 2,500 x .86 = 2,150rpm.

But the Baker DD6 is a direct drive gearbox, so will not change your top gear at all. I live in the UK and cannot comment on US prices, except they are cheaper!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,920 Likes on 8,432 Posts

As far as the performance between the SE and Baker, I have been told by, who I would consider a competant indy that the SE is not a durable as the Baker. The Baker uses back cut gears for better upshifting, while down shifting, ya need to be a bit more forceful than with the stock tranny. In other words, were the stock tranny, you can just kind of tap it down a gear, the Baker needs a little more force or else you will get gear grind. I got used to it pretty quick and it doesn't bother me anymore. The indy claims that he has down quite a few jobs of cleaning the broken SE gears out of the gear box.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Not knocking Baker, but I have been running a S.E. Six Speed for over 5 years behind a pretty healthy twin cam. I have had zero problems. I have a couple of buds who run them too and again no problems. Is the Baker more durable? You can't get more durable than no problems.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:27 AM
flip180
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kicked around the idea of getting a 6 speed on my SG but it gets over 40 mpg's as it is even with a passenger. I also like the fact that at highway speeds, I'm in my power band and don't have to down shift to pass like I've heard some of my friends that ride sixers (6-speeds) having to do.

Flip.

Quick Reply: Change from 5 Speed To 6 Speed