Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS fastest vs shortest ???????

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:10 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default GPS fastest vs shortest ???????

Please tell me what setting you are using..... Fastest or Shortest ???? What is the best while riding. I want to stay on the "main" route with the fewest turns and not getting off the highways to run thru little towns. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Be Safe JIM

Last edited by HDJIM1158; 06-08-2010 at 06:11 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

fastest...also check you "avoidance" settings. If you take shortest it will take you through small towns which sometimes is the fastest.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 AM
UltraDave
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fastest will do what you are asking. However, I have found when I want to take roads other than main highways the shortest route with avoidances enabled takes me down nice, scenic roads. I set the avoidances for toll roads, highway, etc. Try the different settings on your GPS and then see what routes it will take you when you set your destination.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 AM
FLHXterp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fastest for highway riding, shortest for scenic riding.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:28 AM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the Zumo/HD 550 and to be honest, have never looked at the option. Guess I need to check it out

Old 06-08-2010, 06:32 AM
BuzzHD
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use my GPS for work. I travel from the far midwest to the east coast and from main to florida. fastest setting gives me the best routing for the most part. I will however look at both faster and shorter and sometimes pick shorter just for the adventure. Keep in mind I still use an atlas to check weights and measures for the specific route. FYI: I have tried many GPS units and Garmin 1490T is my preferred choice...and I don't use a GPS when riding my Bike...

Old 06-08-2010, 07:17 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

I take the scenic route, sometimes it goes out of the way. I try to avoid main roads and cities especially during rush hour. I use internet maps to get a general idea, but I make up the route on the road. It doesn't usually add much time or miles and I enjoy the ride more.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Garmin Zumo 550. Unit set on "fastest", Mapsource software preferences usually set to "shortest". I create my routes on a computer & load 'em to the GPS unit & "shortest" allows me to choose the route with the fewest waypoints. Once I'm on the road I can follow the route, or not. If the GPS "reroutes" when I deviate it will pick "fastest". If I want to go back to my original route after a deviation I stop the route, then restart it. The GPS will ask if I want to start at the beginning. I answer "no", & the GPS will route me to the nearest point on the original route. If I tire of the original route & want to get to my destination as fast as possible I stop the route & select the end waypoint & allow the GPS to pick the fastest route.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I own 2 different GPS units. One by Garmin and another one by Tom Tom. I have used several different settings on the garmin and it doesnt seem to really make a difference. The only thing that makes a difference is the highway avoidance setting. But man can that setting REALLY take you the long way, sometimes a good thing.

The Tom Tom with the IQ Routes is far superior to Garmin IMO. It applies some logic to the routing and generally will route you in the most logical path. I have taken trips in the cage before and put them both on a side by side test, and prefer the Tom Tom hands down.

Tom Tom claims to make a motorcycle version called the Rider2, but I have not been able to find them in stock anywhere.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Shortest will usually take you through the old highways, which go through (not around) towns and STOP LIGHTS.

The GPS Routes are not always the best route, but it will get you where you want to go.
You still need to look at a hard map. I was going to "Cycle Gear" in Houston one time and my GPS took me through about 5 miles of Houston I did not want (or need) to be in...............with a traffic light on every block.

Quick Reply: GPS fastest vs shortest ???????