Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control install

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:31 PM
jstevens1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control install

I have installed the cruise control on my HD Electraglide Classic 07 and followed the instructiion that came with it and also read the manual along with the install that I ordered from HD. I have done the Cable lash initialization by the book and it worked just like it says in the book. when I test road the byke and used the set the orange turned to green but the cruise does not set the speed. I am wondering if I missed something or is there another step that I need to do? Just need a little guiding light.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:48 PM
abate1
Cruiser

did my 07 when I bought it and a if you have a green light I would think the electrical side is ok so the only other thing that would not let it set is the cable that hooks to the throttle plate or the nylon cable in the cruise unit itself. That being said electrical stuff HAPPENS

Old 06-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Were you going at least 45 mph or less than 85 mph? CC won't function outside those perameters.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:13 PM
jstevens1
2nd Gear
Default Thanks for the reply

I will double check where the Trottel cable connects. Yes I was doing 45 to 50 when i tried to set the cruise and have attemted it several time at that speed. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:01 AM
classic53
Tourer

Do what abate1 said and also check to see if you have too much flex in the whole cable assembly. ie, did you use the little cable eyelets to attach your cable to the frame near the rear cylinder and guiude it thru the cylinders to your throttle bod?

Old 07-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You might also be able to diagnose the problem if it's a Diagnostic Trouble Code:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...and-codes.html

Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 PM
jstevens1
2nd Gear

Thanks guys for the tips. this will give me where to see if i can get this fixed. I did not tie warap the cable where it turns at the top and goes down. How do you get your hands in there to do that?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:16 PM
jstevens1
2nd Gear

pulled the gas tank and used the ties on the cable put everthing back together and then did the Cable lash test and the darnest thing it worked just like the book said and the green light went out as soon as the engine started to rev.
took the byke for a test dirve and it works like a charm. Thanks for the tips guys. Yehaaa! I is working. : )

Old 07-07-2010, 10:02 PM
foozin01
Novice

I just added cruise to my FLHTC '07 this past weekend. Not to rub it in, but I love it. Did you get the throttle cable to snap to the carb/induction thing. Also what about the E clamp that holds the cable in place in the same area under the air filter?

One other thing I think I remember reading, that cruise only work on 4-5 gear? I haven't tried on 6th gear. But if you are in 3rd, I'm guessing it won't work.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if 07 is different, but my 09 will work at 30 mph as long as you are in 3rd gear or higher. It will work up to 88 mph

Quick Reply: cruise control install