Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brass piece in center HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:41 PM
fatboy1017
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Brass piece in center HELP

I wanted to put my stock windshield back on, and am wondering what this is. It's in the center of the windshield, the screw from the chrome trim should screw right in, BUT on mine the brass piece is messed up. Can i buy a new one, or was it supposed to stay in the fairing like the 2 side ones did? It is loose and does not seem to wanna line up or go back in. I did buy this bike used and had the dealer put a 4 windshield on it in the spring,i'm not blaming anyone, I really do need to get this fixed. HELP!!!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 09:55 PM
BigTinVA
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Brass piece in center HELP

You didn't say what kind of bike you are working on. My Road Glide uses "well nuts" to secure the windshield. It's a brass female threaded insert encased in a rubber sleeve that crushes from the rear as it is tightened. Not sure if this is what you are looking at on your bike, but well nuts are available from the dealer. I hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:56 PM
PrplRdKing
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BigTinVA

My Road Glide uses "well nuts" to secure the windshield. It's a brass female threaded insert encased in a rubber sleeve that crushes from the rear as it is tightened. Not sure if this is what you are looking at on your bike, but well nuts are available from the dealer. I hope this helps.
I hate to jump into someone else's post , but I'm going to anyway. You seem to know about "well nuts" . Do you have to take the faring off in order to install these things?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:00 PM
fatboy1017
Cruiser

Does it fit into something on the back/inside of the fairing? My 2 outside well nuts stayed in the fairing, the center one is out. I am also having trouble lining up the nuts now.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:00 PM
BigTinVA
Cruiser

You shouldn't have to take the fairing off to install the well nuts, they push in from the front/outside and when a screw is inserted and tightened up, the rubber will expand in the rear and allow the screw to be fully tightened. Now if you push a well nut all the way through from the front and into the fairing you will have to remove the outer fairing to fetch them back out. Ask me how I know.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 PM
BigTinVA
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: fatboy1017

Does it fit into something on the back/inside of the fairing? My 2 outside well nuts stayed in the fairing, the center one is out. I am also having trouble lining up the nuts now.
No. they are a pressure fit design. Mine expand even in oblong holes in my fairing. I did a search and found a picture of what I am talking about:

The nut is inserted into a hole with the brass insert first. When the screw is tightened the rubber will mushroom up behind the material it is inserted into, the outer fairing in this case. The well nut is simply held in place by the expanded rubber. Kind of like how a toggle bolt works, in a way.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:37 PM
PrplRdKing
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool , and thanks!

Old 08-29-2006, 10:40 PM
BigTinVA
Cruiser

No problem. They are cheap if you have to replace them.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:55 PM
fatboy1017
Cruiser

I think we are talkin about 2 different things anyway. Anyone who has the chrome windshield trim help me out? Does the chrome strip have a rubber on the backside of each screw hole? If it does what do the screws, screw into? I'm assuming a brass fitting of sorts, and where is the brass piece located?

Old 08-29-2006, 10:57 PM
BigTinVA
Cruiser

What model bike are you working on fatboy?

Quick Reply: Brass piece in center HELP