Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike dies while riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:52 AM
boogeyman
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike dies while riding

2003 Electra Glide dies while riding.All power shuts off,couple minutes later bike comes back on. Local dealer says can't tell whats wrong until bike shuts down for good. the bike may run one day or one month before shutting down again.Last night lost power just sitting at a red light that was a first.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:02 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

See if you still have the stock circuit breaker. There were issues with the 40 amp circuit breaker overheating and there was a recall where they were being replaced with a 50 amp breaker. Your symptoms sound like maybe the circuit breaker is over-heating.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 AM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the battery connections, CPU connection and all major ground connections.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 AM
BurgundyUltra06
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stro1965
See if you still have the stock circuit breaker. There were issues with the 40 amp circuit breaker overheating and there was a recall where they were being replaced with a 50 amp breaker. Your symptoms sound like maybe the circuit breaker is over-heating.
I'd start with that. Napa Auto parts has them for around $7 so the best place to start.

Another thing recently experienced on a friend's Ultra was loose cells in the battery. It was tough to nail that one down. The battery checked ok under a load test, but if you shook it around, it would drop out. At an idle when the vibration was most was when the events were most frequent. Glad we got it resolved with battery replacement. Just another thought...

Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Buckskincolt
Cruiser

This could also be the electronic ignition shutting down. Its so hard to trouble shoot an random problem. Start with the simple cheap stuff and go from there. The Circuit breaker could be the definite culprit.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Fathead2003
Tourer

MY 03 EG Standard cut out 3 times when at low rpm's...at the end of a stop...or turning a corner. Bike was under warranty less then 2k miles....They increased the idle rpm and I have not had a problem since and now have 30k on the bike.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:38 PM
BAGGERNATE
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Link to a thread of a member with simular symptyms on a 00' Ultra, simular suggestions made. Read it over see what he did, or even PM him to see if he ever figured it out.

Nate

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...0-puzzled.html

Old 07-23-2010, 05:31 PM
ultraclassic03
Intermediate

If it's not leaving any codes, then it's probably the circuit breaker, ignition switch or battery problem.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had similar problem with the '03 FLHTI. Fired the bike up and was in garage grabbing gloves and helmet, when it died. Went out and it fired right up. Did this several times while sitiing on it. Thought, well using up the battery with the lights and spots on, so turned off spots and the bike didn't quit again. Mind you its 105-110 these parts now. Took it to dealer. They replaced circuit breaker and rerouted the amplifier wiring. Everything fine for week and down at the shop and went to leave, nothing doing. No lights, starter, volt gauge dead, but horn loud and clear. Dealer rolls it it shop and 15 minutes later the bike is returned running fine. Explained the circuit breaker is right behind rear cylinder and the problem is with the heat. Told needs to be relocated from rear cylinder location. Will take care of that myself next days off.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Chewy68
Stage I
Default My bike dies as well

I have a 2010 streetglide that shuts off some times.......could i have the same problem with the circuit breacker???.?

Quick Reply: bike dies while riding