Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have ghost flames?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LADNAR
I'm picking up my new street glide tomorrow, and I'm already thinking about some paint.

I'm wondering about getting some ghost flames, but I have no idea how much they might cost. Anyone have some flames painted? I'm looking for a general idea here.

Also, if anyone knows of a good bike painter in Central IL, let me know!

Thanks!
I payed 2750.00 for mine and was able to have some skull work airbrushed in with the flames. do some shopping around and ask the shops you call if the have the proper equipment for painting bikes. There is some places on line that do a sheet metel swap.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:57 PM
rocknrollsg
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about getting some ghost flames as well, but they are expensive and you should check your insurance converage as well. If you spend that kind of money and then god forbid you put the bike down, and didn't tell the insurance company you had custom paint...they won't cover it. you'll have to tell them about the custom paint and they may increase the premium. My insurance agent told me this.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Had my Wideglide painted with ghost flames. Cost $2,500 for the 3 pieces.

Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have ghost flames?-bike012.jpg   Does anyone have ghost flames?-harley-8-11-01r2.jpg   Does anyone have ghost flames?-harley-8-11-0j19.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 04:03 PM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JackD
WOW!! How many......Geez! That looks COOL would it take to make the 3K paint worth it??????????! Gimme a break!!!

did you buy your harley so people can say...geez he rides a harley WOW. It's not your bike or cash ! why worry about it !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by onaride63; 08-03-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackD
WOW!! How many......Geez! That looks COOL would it take to make the 3K paint worth it??????????! Gimme a break!!!
Let me break it down for you. Every panel,.. every piece has to be taken off the bike. Fairing, side covers, saddle bags, saddlebag lids, front fender, rear fender, tank, lowers if he has them, tour pak if he has one, and tour pak lid. Every piece has to be wet sanded if he is just going to add ghost flames to his existing paint. Wet sanding an entire bike on average takes 8 to 12 hours depending on the clear coats condition. Then, each piece has to be taped off. Now granted there are helpful things like vinyl plotters now that cut out flames for you,.. but if you hand tape a flame job on a bagger, your looking at least 12 hours. Sometimes it can take as much as 20 just in taping flames off and having them perfect, but again thats by eye and hand not using technology now like plotters and computer. So far, we have 24 hours of shop time, and we haven't even sprayed any paint.
Then you spray your pearl or flakes or candy, whatever you using to make the ghost flames and let it dry. That doesnt take much time, but pearls and candies are expensive. Then you pull the tape off,.. and clear coat all the pieces. You generally have to lay down at least 3 to 5 heavy and wet clear coats so you won't have much of a tape line from where you flames are. Clear coat is not cheap.
Once your clear is dry, then you get to wet sand everything,.... again. Usually, you get the pleasure of color sanding with a couple of different grits to totally take out the tape lines and have a show finish. Wait, your not done... then comes the buffing and polishing. Boy this is fun enough on a car with big panels,.. but on a bike with the edges around your saddle bag lids, and the fairing and saddlebags being plastic that move when you apply pressure... its no fun.
Its been about 12 years since I have done an electra glide with ghost flames, and I had about 40 hours in it. Now at an average of $50 an hour shop labor,.. your looking at $2000 for just labor. Thats not including all the sand paper, buffing compound, pearls/candy, clear coat, and tape.

I don't know if I said it before, but most painters HATE ghost flames. Just because there is so much work envolved. If done right, 70% of the passer by's won't even notice the flames unless the sun is just right. Most painters would rather put on some flashy graphics that catch peoples eye. So add the dislike of painting ghost flames, with all that is envolved and your looking at one of the higher paint jobs out there for no more then your getting. Not trying to talk you out of it,.. just letting the uninformed know.

Last edited by Cyphilis; 08-03-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

All 9 pieces for $1100.00 deals are out there My guy lives in plainfield IL if interested in his number PM me. his work is in my sig and photo album.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I dropped $2600 for my nightrain, wasn't worth it after the thrill of a new paint set went Away.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
I dropped $2600 for my nightrain, wasn't worth it after the thrill of a new paint set went Away.
This was kinda what I was looking at! I would think for $3K . somebodys gonna have to stand around and yell, Yippee!!! For a long time!!

Last edited by JackD; 08-03-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:08 PM
CW4_131A
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Sometimes people are willing to pay for something because they like it, not because they will get an ego boost from compliments. Just sayin'.
Exactly what the misses and I were chattin' about just tonight. You add paint and bling for your ride, not what you think someone else wants. Then you're paying for their enjoyment.

This is your ride. Screw it, be selfish.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by onaride63
did you buy your harley so people can say...geez he rides a harley WOW. It's not your bike or cash ! why worry about it !!!!!!!!!
I could give two ***** about what anyone else does or pays to have done to their bike! But when it's my money , my bike .. I'll go ahead and worry!! Ghost flames look great! But the Wow factor wears off way to fast for 3K!! Weather Bob with the paint outfit does it, or the skank your banging paints it with her nipples!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Does anyone have ghost flames?