Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn LED Headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Kuryakyn LED Headlight?

I just received the new specials catalog and saw these lights. I know LEDs have come a long way but I just can't believe that they'd make your headlight better. I'm sure they'd blind other oncoming drivers but probably won't be better for the rider. Kury's description of the light output falls short of bragging about performance. Anyone have these or seen them?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw the ad, wondered the same thing myself, but I haven't seen anyone that has them on their bike yet.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 AM
txrancher47
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one...extremely bright at night, can't see it during the day. It is a pure white light...not a yellow tint.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM
streetg7
Road Captain

checked out their driving lights! $400.00? WTF

Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 AM
flyer91
Tourer

I haven't seen them in headlight use yet, but I do know that the newer high-end, front projection, HiDef DLP home theater systems use them instead of a projector lamp.
These new systems can put out enough light to not need a darkened room to get high contrast images ........ so I suspect they must be pretty friggen bright!!

Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

That's it? No one else has the courage to try these?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,923 Likes on 8,434 Posts

If ya want bright headlights, go with a HID system. Not that expensive and easy to install.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley also has them.

Only $524.95 for the headlight PN 73390-10
And $384.95 for the Auxiliary Lamps PN 73396-10

Attached Thumbnails Kuryakyn LED Headlight?-ledhead.jpg  

Last edited by vzts4q; 08-05-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:22 AM
flyer91
Tourer

WOW!!! For about the price of 10 sets you could buy a whole low mileage used RK !!

In Russia we keep LED and throw Harley away ..........

Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 PM
chiefparry
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lightguy
Greetings. I think I can help you. LED's have come a LONG way. But it still takes some magic in Engineering to get a headlight to work. Advances with white LED products (especially forward lighting) have been a little slow (as compared to red and yellow LED lights). So, you are right to ask questions before making your decision.

The headlight offered by Kuryakyn is the first legal 7" LED headlamp on the market (my company designed and manufactures this lamp). This headlight was originally developed for the U.S. Military and over 100,000 of these are currently deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan on military vehicles. Also, another 200,000 7" LED special purpose lamps (based on the 7" headlight) are in use on specialized military vehicles that "hunt" for IED's at night.. the special properties of LED lights make distubances in the ground much more obvious and our guys are safer as a result. So the light that Kuryakyn offers has one heck of a pedigree. As for durability, I'll tell you about that in a minute.

LED lamps are really special. The white light is very close to the same color temperature as sunlight. So the visibility and contrast at night is great. To your concern, while staring directly into this or ANY headlight is not a good idea, Kuryakyn's LED headlamp will NOT blind on-coming motorists. Yes, it is bright. But it is CONTROLLED light (it is DOT legal!). LED light is very directional and this light illuminates the road. There isn't much stray light to bother other motorists.

The other advantage is the daytime visibility. I have been riding for over 40 years and my Road King is fully equipped with LED forward lighting. I ride with all 3 lamps on even during the day. LED's have an unmistakable appearance and color that makes your bike VERY noticible.... night AND especially during the day.

Note that I mention THREE lamps. The 4" / PAR 36 lamps are coming soon. I have prototypes on my "test" bike. ) Keep your eyes open for announcements. The addition of the 4" passing lights (typical of the Harley Touring bikes) is a FANTASTIC addition. If you have a Harley with the 3 lamp set up, you will WANT the 4" lamps too! You will REALLY like the set.

As for durabililty... we have beaten the tar out of our lamp to prove it's worthiness to be used by our troops. In addition to the DOT required vibration and shock testing, we have literally beaten the lamps with a baseball bat, dropped it from a 35 foot fire tower on to a concrete pad and SHOT the lamp with rounds from a 7.62 x 39 mm rifle! The lamps STILL work after all of that. We also have stories from the battlefield of how these lamps have survived unbelieveable abuse. What we did is nothing by comparison.

So, I really didn't want this to be a "commercial". I just want to share what I know first hand about LED headlights.

They are absolutely the way of the future. They plug and play directly into your bike without special wiring or other electronic adaptors. They put out light that is better that ANY incandescent or Halogen lamp that you have every used and they will outlast any conventional lamp in the worst physical conditions.

The good news (more good news) is that they are constantly evolving and getting better (brighter, better light patterns, etc.) and they are worth looking at. Speaking of looking.. they look REALLY cool on the bike.. on or off. I have people stopping to ask me about my set up everywhere I go.

If you go to rallys (like Sturgis), look for the Kuryakyn tent and see if you can see the LED headlight in person.
Hummm....first post on here...what are the odds of that, having an expert on lighting....Hummmm...just saying....smells like a vender...hope your authorized and paid you $

Quick Reply: Kuryakyn LED Headlight?