Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Streetglide tribar from running light to brake light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Streetglide tribar from running light to brake light?

I have a 07 EGC I installed a Streetglide rear fender extension on. My question is can you change the tribar light from a running light to a brake light by simply splicing into the brake light wiring? Can the LED handle the added load of a brake light? Anyone done this? I know you can buy a part from dealer to convert it from a running light to a running/brake light but I would like to simply convert it to a brake light.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:49 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by moondog99
I have a 07 EGC I installed a Streetglide rear fender extension on. My question is can you change the tribar light from a running light to a brake light by simply splicing into the brake light wiring? Can the LED handle the added load of a brake light? Anyone done this? I know you can buy a part from dealer to convert it from a running light to a running/brake light but I would like to simply convert it to a brake light.
Just splice the wire into the red brake light wire and you should be good to go. I installed 92 LED's (3 strips of LED's) into the TriBar Light housing and I'm using the center strip as both a running light & brake light.

If you go this route, think about replacing the 4 HD LED's that are in there now with a few strips. If not, there will not be much light output.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 AM
moondog99
Road Warrior

I just spliced into the brake light and it worked for a minute. Tried it again and now it wont work. I think I blowed the bulb. Any body have a clue why the bulb would blow?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I just spliced into the brake light and it worked for a minute. Tried it again and now it wont work. I think I blowed the bulb. Any body have a clue why the bulb would blow?
Not exactly sure what you spliced, but you could have moved the black wire w/ white stripe from its current location in the three wire AMP connector to the center position for a brake light only function.

Carl

Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Yea, you don't really "Blow" LED's. If they are not working, you either fried them by shorting something, or a wire is just not making good contact. Make sure you have 12v at the wire for the brake light. Make sure you have a good ground. and you could Ohm through the LED I guess, it should have some resistance, not sure how much but if it reads INFINITE, or open, you may have a bad LED set now.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Grizzx2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Upgrade for the bottom running light.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Grizzx2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works as good as it says it does. I was leary about the purchase but am well pleased with it.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JimTJr
Yea, you don't really "Blow" LED's. If they are not working, you either fried them by shorting something, or a wire is just not making good contact. Make sure you have 12v at the wire for the brake light. Make sure you have a good ground. and you could Ohm through the LED I guess, it should have some resistance, not sure how much but if it reads INFINITE, or open, you may have a bad LED set now.
I think you are correct, I think I fried it. I hooked it directly to the battery and nothing. I will buy another LED light and give it another shot this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:22 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Grizzx2
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Upgrade for the bottom running light.
That is my next option if I cant get it to work. I only paid $50 for the whole thing so I have some play money left to try something different, but if all else fails I will have to get the brake kit you are speaking of.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:23 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I think you are correct, I think I fried it. I hooked it directly to the battery and nothing. I will buy another LED light and give it another shot this weekend. Thanks for the heads up!
No problem, I kinda like messing with electronics, I have been wiring my Dads trailers since I was 12 yrs old or so. He would come home with a new truck, or trailer, and have me go out and wire it. (After a couple of "Training" sessions.
I love that he taught me about the flow of electricity basics way back then. It made learning Avionics a bit easier!

Quick Reply: Streetglide tribar from running light to brake light?