Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will V&H fuelpak void warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 PM
dezldk
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will V&H fuelpak void warranty

I want to get a vance and hines fuelpak and a new slip on fpr my 2010 street glide. I called 2 dealerships and 1 told me that it would void my warranty and 1 said that it would not void my warrany. Does anyone know the answer to this? I don't want to order until I find out for sure.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:56 PM
TheRainMan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked into this a couple of weeks back before installing V & H headers, slip ons and a power commander - the consensus was that it would not. It is hard to find a bike out there that has a stock system...

Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the legal position would be that it would only void a warranty if it could be shown to have caused a warranty issue. They can't just void a warranty because you change something that didn't cause a warranty claim

Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 PM
PhilCat th PeaceFrog
Advanced

Everybody always dose what they want anyway.Very nice Black! In my limited experience whenever anything strays from stock raises suspect with regard 2 warranty. Never found a need 4 aftermarket performance with all the Scream in Eagle No bad vibes here V&H know how 2 race! keeping it Genuine #ridesafe

Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 PM
T-Rod45
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you unplug a FuelPack, The ECM goes back to stock, and there is no way for the dealer to ever tell it was there. Same with the Power Commander. Certain tuners like the SERT "hard burn" the ECU and the dealer will always know the bike was tampered with.

At least this is what the interwebz has taught me...

Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Certified Drunk
Tourer

All depends on your dealer....

Old 08-13-2010, 12:57 AM
cjairplane
Cruiser

t-rod45 is right. As soon as you unplug the FuelPak, the bike's original fuel mapping is restored, unless you have done something else to the system (removing cat's, jetting, etc.) I live in the republic of CA, so when they eventually make me smog my scoot, I'll have to take off my Monster Ovals and put the stock pipes back on (a 20 min. job), and remove the FuelPak (a 2 min. job). Should not be a warranty issue...especially since 30 minutes could take your bike's fuel system back to "stock".

Old 08-13-2010, 05:16 AM
ultra big mac
Advanced

Skip the Fuel pak and go with the Power Commander. The Fuel pak does not dial in as good as the PC.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:56 AM
maddog53
Cruiser

T-ROD45 are you going to remove your pipes and air cleaner all so, other wise the dealer is going to look for the fuel pak or power commander or sert, i think when they see your after market parts on your bike, they will for some type of fuel management.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:53 AM
T-Rod45
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maddog53
T-ROD45 are you going to remove your pipes and air cleaner all so, other wise the dealer is going to look for the fuel pak or power commander or sert, i think when they see your after market parts on your bike, they will for some type of fuel management.

First off, let's stick to the original question "Will FuelPak void my warranty?" - my answer was generic, yet highly accurate. Take it off (in 60 seconds or less) and it's like it was never even there.

If we want to get technical, if a dealer wants to "void" warranty work, then technically it is arbitrary and needs to be proven that the modification is responsible for the claim. In other words, if you go in for suspension issues, they can't void warranty because you have pipes, etc. Not to mention that even engine damage can be argued with bolt-on power mods.

I worked in the auto industry for 6 years. They get paid for warranty work. Some dealers just don't like taking in the larger jobs because warranty flat rate is less than their normal rate. They just prey on people that don't know any better.

But to answer your question, yes, if I had a specific powertrain issue that I thought would warrant it, I'd take the 2 minutes to remove and replace the intake filter, as well as the hour to swap back on the stock exhaust. Isn't that better than a "voided" warranty?

Quick Reply: Will V&H fuelpak void warranty