Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Astro
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check engine light

I am looking for some suggestions.
I was riding down the road the other day and my engine light and battery light came on. The voltage meter showed around 10 volts also. I stopped and turned the ignition off, restarted the bike and everything is fine. No warning lights on and volt meter is up to 14 again. I rode around the rest of the day and all is fine. Next day on my way home from work here she goes again with the warning lights.
I got home and checked the trouble codes. The only code it shows is P0562 which is low battery voltage. I plan on cleaning the battery connections and ground connections today to see if that helps. Any other suggestions? Is the charging system going bad?

Thanks!
Don

Old 09-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

How old is your battery?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM
JoeFriday77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went through the same thing and same code. The voltage regulator took a dump. Replaced that, and all is good. You'll need to do the troubleshooting on the stator to make sure that is not the culprit. Mine checked out OK.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:26 AM
John7253
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

mine did the same thing was a lose battery cable

Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Astro
Cruiser

Thanks for the leads guys!
I am going to check/clean the battery cables and connections. Hopefully that takes care of it.
The battery is about 2 years old now.
Does anyone know the procedure to check out the voltage regulator and/or stator myself or is this a shop check thing?

Thanks again
Don

Old 09-03-2010, 12:26 PM
JoeFriday77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Astro
Does anyone know the procedure to check out the voltage regulator and/or stator myself or is this a shop check thing?

Thanks again
Don
You can do it. You need a voltmeter and the steps. Unplug the stator input to the voltage regulator. 1) With bike off, set the voltmeter to ohms and put the leads into the wire coming from the stator. Should read 0. If not, the stator could be shorted. 2) Flip the voltmeter to AC Volts and connect to stator wire. Start the bike. You should see 20-28 volts or so per 1K of RPM. Rev it just a little to make sure you see that output goes up with RPM.

If you are unsure of how to do it, grab a Electrical Diagnostic Manual and it walks you through the steps with pics. The troubleshooting flow charts are gold too. They basically walk you step through step to evaluate the problem and identify the fix needed.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:54 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by John7253
mine did the same thing was a lose battery cable
X2, really pissed me off too.
Before I figured it out I was in rush hour traffic and bike stalled
when I was trying to make a left handed turn no less, almost got it from behind and from in front from the morons trying to run the amber then red light .
Anyways, check your connections and grounds as well.
Hopefully that is what it is, cause it may or may not leave a trouble code for you.
Rob

Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

a 2 year old batter i would replace it anyway. but more then likely its your voltage regulator samething happen on my wifes bike 2 weeks ago.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:06 PM
skimark
Intermediate

I am having the same problem with my 06 Ultra Classic. Thanks for the tips guys, hopefully it is something simple like the battery connections or the battery itself.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Astro
Cruiser

OK, here is a new update. I cleaned the battery and ground connections and everything seemed to be working fine. Yesterday, a month after the original problem, it does it again. Engine and battery light on, voltmeter at about 10. I tried to make it home but didn't quite make it before battery went completely dead. I could see the voltmeter dropping as I rode.
I just picked up a new battery because obviously now my battery is dead. The question is if that is all that is wrong? If the battery is bad will the warning lights come on like that? Seems to me that it is not charging properly. I would think that if it was charging then the voltage would not continue to drop like it did. But maybe if the battery is a goner it won't accept the charge.
What do you think??

Don

Quick Reply: Check engine light