Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft Lowers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 11:59 PM
MickeyB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Lowers?

I am getting ready for a multiple-day ride from CO up north through Wy and the Dakotas. I am guessing I will encounter all the seasons (rain, possibly minimal snow). I am interested in the soft lowers on my EG Classic for warmth and helping to keep my feet dry.

I do have boot covers and wonder if the soft lowers might be overkill. The HD catalog has cautions in regards to using the lowers in temps above 50f due to possible overheating issues.

Any input appreciated,
Mike

Old 09-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Elgin47
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always just carry them in your saddlebags like rain gear, use 'em if you need to. That's what I'm going to do.

FWIW, I just - as in five minutes ago - finished some serious research on soft lowers, and ended up ordering a set of Sage Brush Designs Engine Guard Chaps. Worth a look for you, anyway > http://www.sagebrushdesigns.com/

Old 09-12-2010, 04:09 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the HD soft lowers for my Road King and they are the best money I ever spent at a dealership (they were cheap, maybe $40.) They work astonishingly well for keeping your legs warm and are easy to install and remove. But they aren't kidding about not using them over about 50°F - much above that and you can smell the engine running hot if you sit for a minute.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:26 AM
gunnerglide
Advanced

I agree with Eglin47 about Sagebrush. They cost more than the stock ones but these guys do great work. You can have them in your bags and slap them on easily when needed. For a couple more dollars you can fancy them up with whatever embroidery you want. Good people-good product.

Attached Thumbnails Soft Lowers?-dscf0708.1.jpg  
Old 09-12-2010, 06:21 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cookiemech
I have the HD soft lowers for my Road King and they are the best money I ever spent at a dealership (they were cheap, maybe $40.) They work astonishingly well for keeping your legs warm and are easy to install and remove. But they aren't kidding about not using them over about 50°F - much above that and you can smell the engine running hot if you sit for a minute.
If you sit for a minute, it doesn't matter weather you have soft lowers or not, its going to get hot. Besides, the ultras owners don't ever take there lowers off in the summer time. Just saying

Old 09-12-2010, 07:08 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 'em...use 'em in early spring and fall.
Have never noticed any real 'heat' problems.
Have used them on the last three 'baggers' I've owned.
As someone else posted, I too carry them on trips for rain protection.
EZ on & off.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:19 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

http://www.roadspirit.com/

$45 SHIPPED.....Easy on, easy off...

Not sure about fitment on 09 & Up bikes though.....Vendor is not sure....Are the crash bars different from 08 to 09????????

Last edited by HDV-GLIDE; 09-12-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 AM
Jerm21
Tourer

I was at a swap meet a couple of weeks ago and a guy had a set that were maybe used once or twice... I wasn't really looking for them, but when the guy said they could be mine for 4 bucks I jumped. I'm looking forward to using them, but so far (and I'm not complaining) it hasn't been cool enough to use them.

- Jerm

Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 AM
spizzyman
Road Master

I had them for my VTX from Chilhowee in Grants Pass OR. They were more expensive than some here but very nice quality and good folks to work with. www.chilhowee.net

spiz

Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2005
If you sit for a minute, it doesn't matter weather you have soft lowers or not, its going to get hot. Besides, the ultras owners don't ever take there lowers off in the summer time. Just saying
Oh, but I also have an Ultra, and the Road King with the soft lowers gets hot way faster than the Ultra does, regardless of whether the Ultra's lower vents are open or not. I think that the soft lowers are blocking a lot more cooling flow to the engine than the Ultra lowers do. If I ride both bikes on similarly chilly days (say 40°F) to work, the RK will "smell" hot after idling for a minute and the Ultra will not. Same engine, both 100% stock (2007 RK, 2009 Ultra).

H-D must think so, too, or they wouldn't have a warning with the soft lowers . . .

Quick Reply: Soft Lowers?