Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RF PBR300 heat issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Default RF PBR300 heat issue?

Well after riding in this heat,my amp is clipping. I thought it might be the gain a little high,or after I put my tour pak back on with the rear speakers. So this evening I came home and pulled the outer fairing off,turned down both front and back gains. I took it out for another ride,and sure enough it's still doing it.

When I was running only the fairing speakers I had the gain set on 6,and I never had any problems. Now after I added the rear and the clipping problem,the front is set at 4,and the rear is a little less. I thought that would cure the problem,but I guess I was wrong.

Anyone have any advice?

Old 06-29-2012, 12:42 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

can not help you with your question but like to add to it.......the white light on the RF pbr300 is this going to flash or should it get to a solid light when I am tuning in the gain?

Old 06-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

What's the ohm rating of the speakers you're using? If it's under 4 ohms that may cause the amp to over heat.

Also, the amp will shutdown when overheated, rather than clip.

I'm no audio professional, but a useful website for info on clipping is "Basic Car Audio Electronics"--just google the name and you'll find it.

I have the PBR 300x4 and have not had any heat related issues in the Atlanta area; and, a buddy did a long ride (1000+) in really hot weather and had no heat related issues running two of the amps inside his CVO SG fairing--frequent long days in 100+, including stop and go in Dallas.

Carl

Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 AM
barkingspud
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What speakers did you go with for the rears?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Sorry I should have stated that. The RF power speakers front and rear.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:19 AM
barkingspud
Cruiser

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
Sorry I should have stated that. The RF power speakers front and rear.
What kind of speaker adapters do you have? The reason I'm asking is the Throttleup adapters can actually damage your speakers. I had a pair of Infinity's with them and the surround was damaged due to the design. The surround was actually rubbing on the adapter and it was torn up pretty good. I now have Hybrid Audio speakers in the fairing and they have a reverse surround so, they won't rub on the adapter.

I did buy the Hawgwired adapters and will probably swap out the Throttleup ones just to be safe.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by barkingspud
What kind of speaker adapters do you have? The reason I'm asking is the Throttleup adapters can actually damage your speakers. I had a pair of Infinity's with them and the surround was damaged due to the design. The surround was actually rubbing on the adapter and it was torn up pretty good. I now have Hybrid Audio speakers in the fairing and they have a reverse surround so, they won't rub on the adapter.

I did buy the Hawgwired adapters and will probably swap out the Throttleup ones just to be safe.

I have the adapters from Biketronics.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 AM
barkingspud
Cruiser

Originally Posted by metfancowboy
I have the adapters from Biketronics.
Ah...OK. That eliminates that possibility. Silly question, do you hear clipping when you are moving, when you are parked or doesn't matter?

Old 06-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Moving or stopped,it doesn't matter. It seems like once I get the music going pretty good with about 3/4 volume after a few minutes it starts to shut down. I just went back out into the garage,and sure enough it powers up,and sounds fine. On my ride home today it cut out completely,so I just turned it off.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Bobber Jake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turn gain down and set crossover so nothing under 80khz comes through. My gain is at 1 and the deck is set so nothing under 80 comes through......It rocks and no clipping anymore.

Quick Reply: RF PBR300 heat issue?