Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Add your two cents to the bank to help redefine a great product.

Get caught up with recent posts Here

Get all the info, check out:Previous Threads
Print Wikipost

107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:15 PM
margin5
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Choice with FM. I had mine done last spring and put on 12,000 miles. I did all the head work at the same time. Yeh, its extra $$ but I felt worth it. You will need extra clutch pressure so plan for that too. No regrets. Enjoy the trip to WI.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:10 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by margin5
Good Choice with FM. I had mine done last spring and put on 12,000 miles. I did all the head work at the same time. Yeh, its extra $$ but I felt worth it. You will need extra clutch pressure so plan for that too. No regrets. Enjoy the trip to WI.
Beyond the heavy duty $30 clutch spring that is listed as an option to the package? I'm also getting the variable pressure assembly. Are you referringf to something else.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:56 PM
margin5
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
Beyond the heavy duty $30 clutch spring that is listed as an option to the package? I'm also getting the variable pressure assembly. Are you referring to something else.
Sorry to confuse. All I had done was the AIM variable pressure clutch recommended by Jamie.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by margin5
Sorry to confuse. All I had done was the AIM variable pressure clutch recommended by Jamie.
Yep, I'm getting that. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

3 1/2 months and 2,200 miles on the FM build. Went with the AIM variable pressure plate clutch per Jamie and the team and also the Level B heads for better breathing. I'm at 5300 ft and most riding is above this altitude. Glad I went with the heads while the motor was being worked on. It's only a 98" but the drive-ability and power when needed is there without feeling like it's breathing through a straw.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:20 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll look around for an extra $G as I can see you guys all believe in it, and I can also understand the increased airflow is going to do nothing but improve performance. But the question I have is how much of a bang for the buck is this to me given my fairly sane riding style?

All of the above statements regarding the Level B head porting have been general in nature, but not really helping how much improvement and where that improvment might be in the power band. For instance when I was talking to FuelMoto and we talked about the need for the larger throttle body and injectors, Brian was clear that this was an important improvement and a big bang for my $, an improvement of up to 10%.

But, as we discussed my general riding style and touring I do, (I can ride for weeks and not exceed 4Krpm) I don't do a lot of WOT riding. Spending an additional $900 isn't really chump change for me, and I didn't get from FM that it would be a significant improvement in performance across the power band where I do most of my riding. It really isn't important for me to need to shave acouple 10ths of a second off my quarter mile time.

I wish I could see some dyno before/after charts that showed the difference the porting made.

I may still do it, I'll definitely talk to FM again and lok in the Harley Fund for some extra dinero, but I'm still less than clear about the cost/benefit.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:28 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you doing a 107 for ?
For more HP and torque.
That is what the Level heads are gonna do. more hp and tq.

You are going to a bigger TB and Bigger injectors to deliver more fuel and air.
The fuel and air is gonna be delivered in the heads.
Its all about getting air in and gettin air out. That is what the port chamber is for and larger valves.

It would be much easier to do now than to say later on I wished I had of done it.

But all this is up to you. If you can't do it. Then don't. Live with what you have the money to do.
I was gonna do it without doing the heads. But I just couldn't .

Your cam and heads is where all the power is made for a 107.
The compression will probably be bumped up to 10.5.1 to help wake up the cam.

I think another place you feel this is when you have a passenger. The extra torque it gives you.
on my 103 I used to have to downshift a lot .
With the 107 kit i see myself just twisting the throttle more instead of downshifting.

Good Luck

Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

OP. Wait to do the head work when you do a 113", 117" 124".

Old 01-31-2015, 09:14 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member

In talking with Keith and Jaime at FM it was strongly suggested that if I were to go with the new heads, that I would should also upgrade my exhaust system to realize the headwork benefits. I currently have my stock 2007 FLHTC headers (not true duals) with simple Supertrapp SE mufflers, paired with K&N air fliter.

The suggestion was a 2-into-1 set up. So, more money for exhausts is another consideration when it comes to doing the head work. Not only that, but I don't care for the looks of 2-into-1 setups, not to mention that I really like the sound of my bike now, and am not too keen on changing that.

Are there any dual exhaust systems (not 2-into-1) that you guys are using for the 107 big bore kit with heads? Keith didn't have any suggestions, limiting my choices to 2-into-1 only.

Given this I've pretty much decided to just go for the basic kit, with upgraded TB/injectors, and variable pressure clutch for my first stage, and then do a tad more research into exhausts and also gain the knowledge of how happy I'll be with the basic build, before I do a "stage 2" and go back for the new heads.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:23 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got Fuelmoto 2in1in2 stainless header pipe. And Supertrapp Stout 4" mufflers. Got the mufflers for a 09 model cause I've gotten older and don't want a lot of noise.

It took about a year for it to burn out some so the sound would get better. I didn't want a lot of noise.

You may not like a 2in1 at 1st but they will grow on you. And the performance is awsum. And putting a 2in1 on or taking the back wheel off is much easier.

I'm thinking about going back to a 2in1 Supertrapp Supermeg later on. It just don't come with both size bungs.
I have both a Thunder-Max and a Power Vision.

I really like the Fuelmoto 2in1 exhaust. The mufflers just too loud for me.
If it had both the 12mm and 18mm bungs and a quieter muffler I would buy it later on.

If you go ahead and get the headwork.
You can always do the exhaust in the future.

You will have the main part of your bike done.The motor.

Exhaust is a lot cheaper and easier to do later on as you know.

Hope this helps.

Here is the Supertrapp 4" Stouts.

Last edited by cardboard; 01-31-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: 107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto