Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 cam Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Mike in Oregon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 88 cam Problems

Having just bought my first HD and it being an 88, a friend told me to be aware of an on going cam problem that the 88 is known for. Something to do with the tensioners going bad at or near 10k??? Any truth to that?

Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 AM
Bobzilla
Road Captain

some I just had my 05 in to get them checked out at 20000 miles and all was good had them do the SE upgrade with the hyd tensioners so i wouldnt have to wory about it My uncle had 30,000 on his2001 road king and they were just about gone alot of threads on here about it if you do a search

Old 08-19-2009, 05:05 AM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

The cam chain tensioners are the weak link in the TC88 motor, but they're not that bad of a problem! Keep an eye on your used motor oil and filters for any orange plastic particles, and if you start seeing it or start hearing unusual noise from the right side of the engine, pull the cam cover to inspect the tensioner shoes ASAP! I pulled the cam cover at 25K on my last bike to check the shoes and all was still good, but they have been known to fail earlier. The MOCO sells a retrofit kit to change to the new style cam chains and hydraulic tensioners if you start having trouble or you can go to gear drive cams. Either will fix the tensioner issue once and for all.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:06 AM
Mike in Oregon
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. Can you give me an idea on cost for that upgrade?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:09 AM
Mike in Oregon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TN Houndog
The cam chain tensioners are the weak link in the TC88 motor, but they're not that bad of a problem! Keep an eye on your used motor oil and filters for any orange plastic particles, and if you start seeing it or start hearing unusual noise from the right side of the engine, pull the cam cover to inspect the tensioner shoes ASAP! I pulled the cam cover at 25K on my last bike to check the shoes and all was still good, but they have been known to fail earlier. The MOCO sells a retrofit kit to change to the new style cam chains and hydraulic tensioners if you start having trouble or you can go to gear drive cams. Either will fix the tensioner issue once and for all.
This meshes with what my friend said now. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-19-2009, 05:31 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

88 TC is a great motor upgrade to a 95" with gear drive cams, head work ---will put a smile on your face. I would take that motor over my TC 96 all day and then some.....

95" run like bears............

Do a search lots of good indy shops.........budget wise anywhere from$3500----5000

Old 08-19-2009, 05:34 AM
Bobzilla
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mike in Oregon
Thanks for the info. Can you give me an idea on cost for that upgrade?
1200 bucks if the dealer does it out the door at black hills harley

Old 08-19-2009, 05:38 AM
Mike in Oregon
Cruiser

Noted!

Thanks...

Old 08-19-2009, 09:04 AM
electra glide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced mine at 22,500 miles, and they were slightly worn. Will do again, and probably switch to gear drive or Hyd, conversion, probably conversion so I can keep my SE 203 cam in it, love that cam.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Scubamike
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I currently have just under 48,000 miles on my 2001 FXST and just recently inspected them and will replace them before selling it. I was told about $250 to $300 for parts and 4 hours labor so my guess would be $600 to $700 for a shop to replace them, you might find and independent a little cheaper. I thing they can inspect with a borescope for about $150 to see if they need replacement. I am going with the originals in there again. A lot of guys are going with the new style hydraulic of the gear driven but that adds to the cost. If you are going to keep you bike for awhile it might be worth the extra cost. I figure if I got almost 50000 miles on the first set that they were not that bad of design. A lot of guys have them fail a lot earlier, trust me you do not want them to fail as it will cost a lot more to fix. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: 88 cam Problems