Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to adapt stock 09 exhaust to an 08 Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:19 PM
cliffgi
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How to adapt stock 09 exhaust to an 08 Electra Glide

I have just adapted a complete factory set of 2009 pipes (headers and all) to my 2008 Electra Glide. As all pre 09 owners should know, the passenger's ankles cook because of closeness proximity of the exhaust pipes. I can say with complete certainty that with respects to the touring models, 2008 pipes will fit a 2009 and vice versa, but there are three relatively minor mounting issues that need to be addressed. Adapting 08 pipes to a 09 should be a cake-walk, as they say. Below I describe how I put 09 pipes on a 08 Electra Glide.

1.> As others have said, the frame (and swing-arm) changed in 2009. The end result - approximately 1/2" was added to the length between the front cylinder exhaust port and the rear muffler mounts, the mounts located under the bags. Fortunately, the design on these mounts has some slider-based tolerance. 09 pipes mated to a 08 still fit, but the mufflers extend rearward an extra 1/2". This puts the muffler mounting flanges in very close contact with the metal of the underside mount brackets. I wanted the rubber to ride and cushion properly, so I cut 1/4" off the header pipes, where they mate with each muffler. This allowed the mufflers to slide forward a skosh. I did it with a dremmel, quick-easy-perfect.

2.> The second issue deals with the two remaining exhaust mount points and brackets:

a.> Below the driver's right heal on both the 08 and 09, you will find a simple angled header mounting bracket. The brackets look the same on both models, but they are not. The single bolt hole on the 09 is approximately 1/4" further forward to accommodate a change in position of the bracket on the header pipe. Why Harley moved the bracket on the header is beyond me, but they did. If not for this, the headers would be bolt-on identical. You can either carefully elongate the hole on the 08 bracket (very thick steel and lots-o-filing), or buy the 09 bracket for about $3. I was not careful, so I got to do both.

b.> 09 models have a cross-under pipe that routes to the left-side muffler. To hold the pipe in place, Harley tapped two 1/4" 20TPI holes in the back of the transmission oil pan flange, and designed a special bracket. That's right, not in the oil pan, in the transmission casing itself. Get down on your hands and knees and look, you fou! You are going to need a little hair for this next step. Like me, you will have to drain engine and transmission oil, remove the oil pan, and drill/tap the flange. I bought the brackets ahead of time. The rear transmission bracket comes in four separate p/n pieces. Harley will gladly order them one per visit, if you do not do their job for them. To spare you my pain, all the part numbers for this project are listed below. Once parts were on-hand, I mounted the header using the 09 side bracket (mentioned above), and hung the cross-under pipe. With the rear tire removed and oil pan removed, I got up under the rear finder, positioned, marked, drill, and tapped the two holes. This took the guess work out of positioning the underside bracket. The 08's original rear pipe mount is located behind the rear cylinder on top of the trany. It is no longer needed and can be completely removed. Put the bolts back in though, daaa!

3.> The last issue is the oil pan. The 09 oil pan was modified and a divot was added to the rear of the pan to accommodate the cross-under pipe just discussed. Without this new oil pan, you are going to need a licensed (and very good) welder. Even so, when done your new 09 pipe is going to look like something right out of McHale's Navy. Save the money, and laughs, and buy the new oil pan and a gasket. They bolt right on, and in-fact, the old 07-08 pan has been discontinued. Beware, they share the same part number other than a single revision digit at the end. Be sure to tell the parts department that you want the 09 pan, not the 08. Not the 08. Not the 08, Not the 08... Then check their manual drawing your self. Again with the pain!

Some final notes: Force nothing, be thoughtful, and go slow. Lay down cardboard below your jack. Don' try this without a good stable locking frame jack. Your back and neck will not support 800+ pounds. You may need to reposition the jack a couple of times during the project in order to get to ALL the oil pan bolts. Drain engine and transmission oil. Remember to remove the engine oil dipstick, or the pan will not slide rearward toward the tire and free of the frame. The trany dipstick can stay in. Be sure to clean out all metal shavings. Get a manual and torque all bolts to mid tolerance. If you snap a bolt off, bring your bike to Harley by way of the bank. If you have not worked under a car hood or are uncomfortable there, call a trusted someone who is. Body parts cost more than bike parts. Proceed at your own risk, and if your tire falls off, all lawyers can KMA!

This all sounds like a pain, but keeping things in perspective, it took two and a half years less than building my house and a year less than putting in my own in-ground pool. One day in the garage and the suffering was over. I have had the 09 pipes on for about 2k mikes now and they are perfect. At first I was concerned that the cross-under pipe passed to close to the plastic belt deflection shield (1/8"), and about 1/4" closer to the belt than it does on the 09 stock model. However, I have been checking closely and there is absolutely no problem. As a bonus, the pipes sound deeper, the bike seems to run smoother, and the wife has been aaaa MORE than grateful! See my icon.

Parts:
Oil Pan Assembly - - 62489-99A
Gasket, Oil Pan - - 26077-99A
Bracket, rear exhaust mount - 65678-09
Clamp, exhaust pipe hinged - 66861-09A
Bracket, exhaust pipe hanger - 66881-09
Screw, (1 each) - - 3576
Screw, (2 each) - - 4705

Last edited by cliffgi; 10-20-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool...always wondered if it was doable..
Sounds like a winter project..

Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the excellent writeup.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:26 PM
PowerFactor
Road Master

Great info! This is the kind of stuff that makes this forum great.

I suspected that this project was possible, even though the dealer almost laughed me out of the shop.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 PM
cliffgi
4th Gear
Cool Nothing new!

By the way, some if not all of the 2010 factory headers now have a catalytic converter built inside. Also, the O2 sensors have change size and location. This will no doubt negatively impact your 07-09 bike's computer load. Since it's non standard, my guess is that Harley will whine about all kinds of issues relating to a new program load, even if it is possible. If you or anyone is thinking on this conversion, be sure to get a 2009 exhaust. I lucked out, because I did not know this at the time.

For what dealers charge hourly, they should know their bikes better. It takes just a bit of interest, but if you not there to buy a bike, forget it. In about 10 minutes of online research you can disprove 50% of what they say. If it isn't in the manual, and you probably already know that their manuals really suck too, they are pretty clueless.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 PM
cliffgi
4th Gear
Cool Nothing new!

Here is a picture of my 08 Cop. It is has the bigger 103ci engine. Diamensions are the same as the 96ci. The stock 09 exhaust will fit either.

Attached Thumbnails How to adapt stock 09 exhaust to an 08 Electra Glide-mysteed.jpg  

Last edited by cliffgi; 10-21-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Included Picture of the finished project
Old 03-14-2011, 06:48 PM
07custom
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Will this work on an '07??

Old 03-15-2011, 06:15 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

I think I will just use the new Krome Werks duals....

Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

subscribed, thanks for sharing

Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I put the 09 V&H Power Duals on my 05.

I didn't much care for the Khromewerks which were made for the earlier frames due to the exposed bracket.

Last edited by Egldr05; 03-16-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: How to adapt stock 09 exhaust to an 08 Electra Glide