Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-19-2010, 04:21 AM
bikehe bikehe is offline
Prospect
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 251
Send a message via AIM to bikehe
Default Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 V-Twin, whats the difference?

I know another oil question, but this is new information to me and I was reluctant to submit this but I'm curious and Done a search here and I will be bogged down for the next 12 months reading all the oil threads. Didnt want to start another oil bashing or cheap out on oil, but I use Mobil1 V-Twin in my bike but is there any merit on this guys own research, that the only differnce between Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 V-Twin is the amount of molybdenum content. Sorry if this has been brought up before but I can get the Mobil 1 just around the corner, but the v-twin stuff I have to get sent up from 600 miles away. This guy in the link below reckons the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better choice of the two in his v-twin. He runs it and is happy with it. Mobil website says the Mobil 1 oil is still giving protection at 292F, and the only difference I can find is that Mobil 1 is made up to 15w-50 whereas you can get the V-Twin stuff with a viscosity of 20w-50


http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

"The only laboratory measured difference between Mobil 1 V-Twin blend and the cheaper Mobil 1 car oil is that the car oil has a slightly higher molybdenum content than the bike oil and the bike oil has a higher price tag. There are no wet clutches inside a Harley motor, so if anything the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better (and cheaper) choice of the two.
__________________
2009 FLHTCU. Fuel Moto Package-PCV, TW6-6 cams, Knight prowler diectional lifters, Jackpot 2-1-2 headers. Fatshots, OHLIN shocks

Last edited by bikehe; 11-19-2010 at 06:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 AM
ripper43's Avatar
ripper43 ripper43 is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikehe View Post
I know another oil question, but this is new information to me and I was reluctant to submit this but I'm curious and Done a search here and I will be bogged down for the next 12 months reading all the oil threads. Didnt want to start another oil bashing or cheap out on oil, but I use Mobil1 V-Twin in my bike but is there any merit on this guys own research, that the only differnce between Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 V-Twin is the amount of molybdenum content. Sorry if this has been brought up before but I can get the Mobil 1 just around the corner, but the v-twin stuff I have to get sent up from 600 miles away. This guy in the link below reckons the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better choice of the two in his v-twin. He runs it and is happy with it. Mobil website says the Mobil 1 oil is still giving protection at 292F, and the only difference I can find is that Mobil 1 is only made up to 15w-50 whereas you can get the V-Twin stuff with a viscosity of 20w-50


http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

"The only laboratory measured difference between Mobil 1 V-Twin blend and the cheaper Mobil 1 car oil is that the car oil has a slightly higher molybdenum content than the bike oil and the bike oil has a higher price tag. There are no wet clutches inside a Harley motor, so if anything the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better (and cheaper) choice of the two.

The only laboratory measured difference between Mobil 1 V-Twin blend and the cheaper Mobil 1 car oil is that the car oil has a slightly higher molybdenum content than the bike oil and the bike oil has a higher price tag. There are no wet clutches inside a Harley motor, so if anything the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better (and cheaper) choice of the two. "


That is a good question. I use Mobil 1 V-T oil myself and would like to know also. So I went to their website and asked. I am awaiting the answer.
__________________
2007 FLHT
<a href=http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/ralphpennington/my07andkids03-11019.jpg target=_blank>http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4...ds03-11019.jpg</a>
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2010, 05:50 AM
Notgrownup's Avatar
Notgrownup Notgrownup is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Snow Hill, NC
Posts: 9,623
Default

price....i use the 15W50...got some Valvoline on sale this past week for $4.99/quart.
__________________
BE WHAT YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE....
2007 FLHTC Black Cherry Pearl. Andrews 26H cams, SE slipons, A little worn but still hauling my fat a$$...
2002 FXDP ...*****sold******....Hauls A$$...makes me grin....
I am a post ***** but not a Poser...I'm pretty good at drinking beer....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Iceman24's Avatar
Iceman24 Iceman24 is offline
Extreme HDF Member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Eastern NE
Posts: 13,839
Default

About $5 a quart...
__________________
32-Degrees
+09 FLHX/Street Glide (Back in Black w/loads of $pendy crap)
+03 XL1200S/Gold Key Sporty-S (My Little Pony-Eater)
-05 XL1200C - *SOLD* (2009)
USAF, Retired (MSgt)...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-2010, 05:56 AM
SeaHag's Avatar
SeaHag SeaHag is offline
Road Master
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South-Central Minnesota
Posts: 895
Default

Sounds like youre new source is on the money. I've read more than one article/lab analysis saying pretty much the same thing and have been a happy Mobil 1 15W-50 user for the past 7 years or so. I've torn my motor down twice for performance enhancements and everything looked perfect inside. There have got to be hundreds of thousands of harley riders using the automotive formula based on the many forums I've read on over the past 9 years of harley ownership.
__________________
The only thing better than riding, is riding with friends
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 AM
bikehe bikehe is offline
Prospect
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 251
Send a message via AIM to bikehe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
Sounds like youre new source is on the money. I've read more than one article/lab analysis saying pretty much the same thing and have been a happy Mobil 1 15W-50 user for the past 7 years or so. I've torn my motor down twice for performance enhancements and everything looked perfect inside. There have got to be hundreds of thousands of harley riders using the automotive formula based on the many forums I've read on over the past 9 years of harley ownership.
Seahag its good to hear from someone that has stripped a motor down and given it an inspection. Also the Mobil 1 for cars is highly recommended for vehicles with turbos and superchargers so the oil must be high temp tolerant especially going through the bearings on the turbo. Another thing is that the Mobil 1 car oil has a higher flash point to that of the v-twin stuff, so wouldnt that be better for an air cooled bike. From what I understand the other difference is that it dosnt have the friction modifiers in it for wet clutches which isnt needed on our bikes
__________________
2009 FLHTCU. Fuel Moto Package-PCV, TW6-6 cams, Knight prowler diectional lifters, Jackpot 2-1-2 headers. Fatshots, OHLIN shocks

Last edited by bikehe; 11-19-2010 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-19-2010, 06:54 AM
frenchbiker's Avatar
frenchbiker frenchbiker is offline
Elite HDF Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 3,571
Default

I use Mobil1 15W-50 now after having used Amsoil 20W-50 for 10 years in my bikes. Not only it's much cheaper but my engine is quieter. Matter of fact, I use it also in my primary and I haven't experience any slippage. Good stuff.
__________________
"Frenchbiker"

2009 Vivid Black Ultra Classic FF Edition w/ ABS
SE AC / PC-V / V&H Dresser Duals / CFR slip-ons

"Sex is like bridge, if you have a lousy partner, you better have a good hand."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 AM
wingfoot's Avatar
wingfoot wingfoot is offline
Senior Rider
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Crawford Co, AR
Posts: 361
Default

Mobil 1 V-Twin don't hae friction modifiers added.
Mobil 1 does. The friction modifiers may cause issues with the clutch.
__________________
Rick
2013 with Fullsac X-Pipe, Screaming Eagle Fatshotz, Mach 2 Air Cleaner, Power Vision, Dennis Swan lift kit & Tour Pak lift/relocator, floor board extenders.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Deuce Bigelow's Avatar
Deuce Bigelow Deuce Bigelow is offline
Road Warrior
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Jersey, AC area
Posts: 1,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot View Post
Mobil 1 V-Twin don't hae friction modifiers added.
Mobil 1 does. The friction modifiers may cause issues with the clutch.
and what if you don't use it in the primary???
only in the motor..
__________________
2010 FLTRX

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 AM
masterblaster's Avatar
masterblaster masterblaster is offline
Ultimate HDF Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: South Fla
Posts: 8,771
Default

[This is what I do, Gear oil in tranny and V in the primary

.quote=Deuce Bigelow;7554040]and what if you don't use it in the primary???
only in the motor..[/quote]
__________________
!4 Ultra Limited
13 Triumph Explorer
http://www.thedynodifference.com/
2012 Hyabusa (My Go-fast Fix)

Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 AM
 
 
 
P
Reply

Tags
bad, buy, cheap, harley, jersey, las, mobil, molydenum, motorcycle, oil, passenger, primary, twin, vegas, vtwin


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 AM.


Internet Brands, Inc.



Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1