Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 11-19-2010, 04:21 AM
Prospect
Send a message via AIM to bikehe
Default Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 V-Twin, whats the difference?

I know another oil question, but this is new information to me and I was reluctant to submit this but I'm curious and Done a search here and I will be bogged down for the next 12 months reading all the oil threads. Didnt want to start another oil bashing or cheap out on oil, but I use Mobil1 V-Twin in my bike but is there any merit on this guys own research, that the only differnce between Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 V-Twin is the amount of molybdenum content. Sorry if this has been brought up before but I can get the Mobil 1 just around the corner, but the v-twin stuff I have to get sent up from 600 miles away. This guy in the link below reckons the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better choice of the two in his v-twin. He runs it and is happy with it. Mobil website says the Mobil 1 oil is still giving protection at 292F, and the only difference I can find is that Mobil 1 is made up to 15w-50 whereas you can get the V-Twin stuff with a viscosity of 20w-50

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

"The only laboratory measured difference between Mobil 1 V-Twin blend and the cheaper Mobil 1 car oil is that the car oil has a slightly higher molybdenum content than the bike oil and the bike oil has a higher price tag. There are no wet clutches inside a Harley motor, so if anything the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better (and cheaper) choice of the two.

Last edited by bikehe; 11-19-2010 at 06:18 AM..
Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikehe View Post
I know another oil question, but this is new information to me and I was reluctant to submit this but I'm curious and Done a search here and I will be bogged down for the next 12 months reading all the oil threads. Didnt want to start another oil bashing or cheap out on oil, but I use Mobil1 V-Twin in my bike but is there any merit on this guys own research, that the only differnce between Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 V-Twin is the amount of molybdenum content. Sorry if this has been brought up before but I can get the Mobil 1 just around the corner, but the v-twin stuff I have to get sent up from 600 miles away. This guy in the link below reckons the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better choice of the two in his v-twin. He runs it and is happy with it. Mobil website says the Mobil 1 oil is still giving protection at 292F, and the only difference I can find is that Mobil 1 is only made up to 15w-50 whereas you can get the V-Twin stuff with a viscosity of 20w-50

http://www.dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.ENGINE.HTML

"The only laboratory measured difference between Mobil 1 V-Twin blend and the cheaper Mobil 1 car oil is that the car oil has a slightly higher molybdenum content than the bike oil and the bike oil has a higher price tag. There are no wet clutches inside a Harley motor, so if anything the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better (and cheaper) choice of the two.

The only laboratory measured difference between Mobil 1 V-Twin blend and the cheaper Mobil 1 car oil is that the car oil has a slightly higher molybdenum content than the bike oil and the bike oil has a higher price tag. There are no wet clutches inside a Harley motor, so if anything the higher molybdenum content in the Mobil 1 car oil is going to be the better (and cheaper) choice of the two. "

That is a good question. I use Mobil 1 V-T oil myself and would like to know also. So I went to their website and asked. I am awaiting the answer.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:50 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

price....i use the 15W50...got some Valvoline on sale this past week for $4.99/quart.
I am a post ***** but not a Poser...I'm pretty good at drinking beer....
Old 11-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Extreme HDF Member

About $5 a quart...
-05 XL1200C - *SOLD* (2009)
USAF, Retired (MSgt)...
Old 11-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Road Master

Sounds like youre new source is on the money. I've read more than one article/lab analysis saying pretty much the same thing and have been a happy Mobil 1 15W-50 user for the past 7 years or so. I've torn my motor down twice for performance enhancements and everything looked perfect inside. There have got to be hundreds of thousands of harley riders using the automotive formula based on the many forums I've read on over the past 9 years of harley ownership.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 AM
Prospect
Send a message via AIM to bikehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
Sounds like youre new source is on the money. I've read more than one article/lab analysis saying pretty much the same thing and have been a happy Mobil 1 15W-50 user for the past 7 years or so. I've torn my motor down twice for performance enhancements and everything looked perfect inside. There have got to be hundreds of thousands of harley riders using the automotive formula based on the many forums I've read on over the past 9 years of harley ownership.
Seahag its good to hear from someone that has stripped a motor down and given it an inspection. Also the Mobil 1 for cars is highly recommended for vehicles with turbos and superchargers so the oil must be high temp tolerant especially going through the bearings on the turbo. Another thing is that the Mobil 1 car oil has a higher flash point to that of the v-twin stuff, so wouldnt that be better for an air cooled bike. From what I understand the other difference is that it dosnt have the friction modifiers in it for wet clutches which isnt needed on our bikes

Last edited by bikehe; 11-19-2010 at 06:51 AM..
Old 11-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Elite HDF Member

I use Mobil1 15W-50 now after having used Amsoil 20W-50 for 10 years in my bikes. Not only it's much cheaper but my engine is quieter. Matter of fact, I use it also in my primary and I haven't experience any slippage. Good stuff.

2009 Vivid Black Ultra Classic FF Edition w/ ABS
SE AC / PC-V / V&H Dresser Duals / CFR slip-ons

"Sex is like bridge, if you have a lousy partner, you better have a good hand."
Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Senior Rider

Mobil 1 V-Twin don't hae friction modifiers added.
Mobil 1 does. The friction modifiers may cause issues with the clutch.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot View Post
Mobil 1 V-Twin don't hae friction modifiers added.
Mobil 1 does. The friction modifiers may cause issues with the clutch.
and what if you don't use it in the primary???
only in the motor..

Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

[This is what I do, Gear oil in tranny and V in the primary

.quote=Deuce Bigelow;7554040]and what if you don't use it in the primary???
only in the motor..[/quote]
2012 Hyabusa (My Go-fast Fix)

Old 11-19-2010, 08:10 AM

P

Tags
bad, buy, cheap, harley, jersey, las, mobil, molydenum, motorcycle, oil, passenger, primary, twin, vegas, vtwin