Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Bagger???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Hollywud
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Bagger???

I bought a wrecked '01 Ultra Classic. The swingarm is bent, fender is mangled, wheel is bent. My question is, since I have to buy these things anyway, what size tire / wheel can I go with to make it lower and wider without a whole lot of modification. I already found a set of extended bags and lowered fender cover pretty cheap. I really don't want to buy one of these $2000 wide tire "kits" though, we're on a buget here!

Old 11-19-2010, 01:25 PM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

First off let me say welcome aboard...Great forum here and a wealth of knowledge...These members can address any problems or concerns you will encounter along the way and make it right...

I'm going to offer this...
If you are a good mechanic and have some tools and mechanical knowledge along with common sense then consider this...
I have read where a fat tire will fit under a 08 rear fender with a stock 08 swing arm...I have also seen in pics only that the pivot point of a stock swing arm vs a 09 are the same...

Why not marry a 09 swing arm up to your 01 and make the 09 fender and parts work for you...
You can get a hold of most of the trike conversion shops and buy the take offs for a reasonable amount and make it work...
take plenty of pics and post them for the rest of us and if you get to a hiccup along the way we are here to help you...
paul

Last edited by TexasBowhunter; 11-19-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Hollywud
Novice

Thanks Paul,
I'm not scared to try anything. I'll look into using that 09 swingarm / fender. You also mentioned 08. Do you know what year that design started? Also, what about the belt pully. Is 09 a narrower belt / pully?

Old 11-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Jeff595
Advanced

Hey welcome aboard, just a couple suggestions I have recently learned building my own "Custom Moneypit". I ordered the "cheap" extended bags and stretched fender cover off ebay, and really got what I paid for! The fender was no where close to fitting correctly, the bags are almost 1/2 difference in length, and the lids that came with the set aren't even worth the $$ they spent in fiberglass to make them. Unless you are skilled with fiberglass, I would suggest spending a little more and buying a quality fender and set of bags, the extra money is well worth the time wasted trying to deal with poor quality parts. Good luck, and can't wait to see the finished product!

Old 11-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Hollywud
Novice

I did get the cheap ebay bags and fender. Haven't got to fitting them yet. Hope your wrong, but I'll deal with that later. Thanks for the input though. I'll start postin pics as soon as the forum lets me.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Jeff595
Advanced

If they were from that xhunter05 then I'd check right away before your 7 day return period runs out. The problem I ran into 1st was that the fender did not fit over the frame rails that hold the fender. The sides of the fender were tapered in so bad that the fiberglass wanted to crack when we tried to stretch it over. Hopefully you have better luck than I did!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Hollywud
Novice

Same guy. My bike is in a million pieces now, so can't try it. Oh well

Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The 09 swingarm might not fit without some modifications. Not to say it won't, and in fact I'd be interested if anyone has tried this mod. You'd still need to find a wider fender, and you can get them from the aftermarket. Klock Werks, Fat Baggers, Arlen Ness, etc. Forum member Timberland has modified a 09-newer fender to fit inside the frame rails of the earlier bikes, but that involves some sheetmetal fab skills.

Option 2, and one that will bolt right up is from the 07-08 CVO Road King. If you use a swingarm, fender, belt and pulleys from the FLHRSE3, you can run a 180 tire on a 18x5.5 wheel.

Last edited by Mike; 11-19-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Hollywud
Novice

Looking for Road King CVO parts now. Not having much luck

Old 11-20-2010, 12:40 AM
TexasBowhunter
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Option 2, and one that will bolt right up is from the 07-08 CVO Road King. If you use a swingarm, fender, belt and pulleys from the FLHRSE3, you can run a 180 tire on a 18x5.5 wheel.
Why the 07-08 CVO Road King only? I would have expected all the 07-08 swing arms and such to be all the same on all the touring chassis...
paul

Quick Reply: Custom Bagger???