Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V & H pro pipe chrome Vs Jackpots?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:39 AM
gregsdart
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V & H pro pipe chrome Vs Jackpots?

On my 2011 limited I have Jackpot 3 1/2 inch mufflers with standard baffles. A touch too loud. I am looking for a sound level and power (low speed torque 1800 to 3800 rpm) comparison to the Vance and Hines Pro Pipe Chrome ,hopefully with thier quiet baffle. Anyone have a direct comparison or comments on the sound level of the V&H vs to the Jackpots, or input on the pro pipe chrome concerning both sound level and low speed/mid range performance. I run 255 cams, AC and TTS. Thanks, Greg

Old 11-25-2010, 08:44 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 bikes with the Pro pipe on them I like the sound .It can be loud to some the more motor you have the louder it will be. They really do make good power.1 bike has a mild cam and the other has a good build on it . I can hear the diffrence so all depends on your build.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:46 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Did V&H actually release their quiet baffle for that pipe yet? I waited for like 6 months and finally gave up and cancelled my order.

Love my Pro Pipe Chrome BTW... It is no where as loud as a D&D fatcat but still loud enough to kinda make you want a quiet baffle on the Highway. Well...after 4-5 hours anyway.

lp

Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you still have the Cat in the Head Pipe? I had the same mufflers on my 08 UC and they were a tad loud for me. I took them off when I traded for the 2010 RK. Put the same mufflers on the RK , with the cat, they are much quieter.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:55 AM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey- I have had both, along with Monster Ovals and the Powerdual headpipe along the way, and swapped out back to the stock head pipe as well over the course of the last 8 months or so... I just removed the V&H 2-1 pipe and went back to the Jackpots/stock head pipe. I have the 103 with 255 cams. My experience on the dyno was the 2-1 made about 2-3 HP more at top end rpm range 4500-5800 over the Jackpots and stock headpipe, and only 1 more TQ. HOWEVER, I strongly believe the difference is due to the AFR table values I had with the 2-1 pipe, which were more aggressive (in the 13.6 to 13.2 range) and the VE tables calibrated. I re-entered the same AFR table back into the ECM program and re-tuned the VE tables now with the stock headpipe and Jackpots, and the bike feels stronger at low/mid end than it did with the 2-1. I personally feel the 2-1 pipe would support a different cam set better if the camset was for a higher rpm range. The 255's make torque down low and the asymmetrical baffle set up in the JDT compliment the 255's better. The throttle response is just better IMO. If I had TW6-6 or TW555s, then the 2-1 pipe may be a better match.

The Jackpots and stock 09 headpipe (no cats) has a quieter sound level than the 2-1 pipe. The 2-1 pipe has a deeper bass sound due to the huge outlet. I personally like the Jackpots, as the overall sound level was lower, making my ride more enjoyable.

Jamie had advised me of this, but I have a hard head and had to find out myself, but he was right. For the money difference, it wasn't worth the minimal difference, which I feel is now gone since I re-mapped the AFR table to a more aggressive set up that matched the set up for the 2-1 pipe. I haven't had a chance to do a dyno WOT pull to verify, but the butt dyno indicates I shouldn't waste the money.

just my two cents...

Old 11-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Did V&H actually release their quiet baffle for that pipe yet? I waited for like 6 months and finally gave up and cancelled my order.

Love my Pro Pipe Chrome BTW... It is no where as loud as a D&D fatcat but still loud enough to kinda make you want a quiet baffle on the Highway. Well...after 4-5 hours anyway.

lp
I've been thinking about the Pro pipe for my RK. I want to get rid of the Cat, But don't want to spend a ton doing it. I like the looks of a single exhaust. I can buy the Pro pipe for a little more than what a good Header Pipe cost alone. I agree with you, The D&D Fatcat is too loud!!! I've had several Dealers recommend the Pro Pipe with the quiet baffle.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:02 AM
gregsdart
Cruiser
Default cat cams

I still have the cat, but the 255 cams added enough to the sound level to push us towards something quieter. I guess one question I have to get answered is if I do get it quiet enough, will it take away the gains gotten from the Pro Pipe in the low /mid range. I wouldn't be too concerned if I gain say three to five foot lbs of torque down low but tapers off above say 3500 to 4000 rpm.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:16 AM
gregsdart
Cruiser

RK09 looks like I was typing same time you were. Sure does sound like I should just get the quiet Jackpot baffles, and call it a day. A tune to sharpen it up. Do you have cats in the stock head pipe?

Last edited by gregsdart; 11-25-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:31 AM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gregsdart
On my 2011 limited I have Jackpot 3 1/2 inch mufflers with standard baffles. A touch too loud. I am looking for a sound level and power (low speed torque 1800 to 3800 rpm) comparison to the Vance and Hines Pro Pipe Chrome ,hopefully with thier quiet baffle. Anyone have a direct comparison or comments on the sound level of the V&H vs to the Jackpots, or input on the pro pipe chrome concerning both sound level and low speed/mid range performance. I run 255 cams, AC and TTS. Thanks, Greg
Question,, Do you have the Cat in the head pipe,, if so the Pro Pipe will be LOUDER than the set up you have now..

I had the same JackPots on my 09 non-cat Street Glide and agree with you a little to loud. Sold the Street Glide and bought a 09 Root Beer Ultra (non-cat head pipe) installed a set of SE Fatshotz's ,, I love these pipes ,, Not as loud as the JackPots but they have a low deep sound & made the Ultra run better than the Street Glide

Both Bikes were set up the same , Pipes , Stock Air Cleaner with a Boyesen X Wing (and yes the X-Wing does work),, This set up will change soon, I live 41 miles from www.flyingwperformance.com I plan to have SE 255 Cams SE A/C, TTS & Dyno Tune. That will be it, HELL if I wanted a Rocket I would not have bought an Ultra ,,, To me its touring not raceing,,

Old 11-29-2010, 03:46 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by gregsdart
Your 255 cams are making a big difference and if you currently have Jackpot mufflers on the stock catalyst head pipe switching to the V&H Pro Pipe Chrome will be a WAY louder setup, even with their quiet baffle. On a catalyst equipped bike (with stock cams) the Jackpots are only 2 dB louder than the stock mufflers at 2800 RPM, the only other mufflers that will likely be noticably quieter with your setup would be some of the choices from Screamin Eagle as they are EPA compliant or going back to the stock mufflers. You could also go to the quiet baffle with your Jackpot's and this would soften the sound very noticably as well.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Last edited by fuelmoto; 11-29-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: V & H pro pipe chrome Vs Jackpots?