Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nolan N-com Stereo Bluetooth Helmet Systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Hunter2010
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nolan N-com Stereo Bluetooth Helmet Systems

Happy Holidays to Everyone. I own a 2010 harley cvo ultra classic.
Does anyone have experience using the Nolan N-com Stereo bluetooth system. They claim you can receive bluetooth calls & navigation prompts through the Bluetooth Stereo garmin like the 660/665 and still have the capability of listening to all the audio sources of the wired harmon Kardon Radio through the headset. Sounds really neat if it works. One of my concerns was if you are listening to the radio and receive a call will the garmin bluetooth cut out the HK radio siginal to take the call and then bring it back when the call is over. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:19 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a while since I looked at the Nolan solution. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your interpretation, but if we are saying...

The same pair of speaker in the helmet can be connected via bluetooth to your phone etc AND via the HD wired 7 pin connector to the HK headset

I would find this VERY hard to believe. For a start the 2 systems are independant so there is no way you could get one to mute the other

Old 12-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Hunter2010
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
It is a while since I looked at the Nolan solution. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your interpretation, but if we are saying...

The same pair of speaker in the helmet can be connected via bluetooth to your phone etc AND via the HD wired 7 pin connector to the HK headset

I would find this VERY hard to believe. For a start the 2 systems are independant so there is no way you could get one to mute the other
Check out the Nolan Website. I know it sounds crazy but they say the bluetooth headset works in conjunction with the wired cord. They sell the cord which plugs in from the helmet to the console.
http://cimaint.ipower.com/home.php?cat=103

Old 12-21-2010, 05:29 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hunter2010
Check out the Nolan Website. I know it sounds crazy but they say the bluetooth headset works in conjunction with the wired cord. They sell the cord which plugs in from the helmet to the console.
http://cimaint.ipower.com/home.php?cat=103
Looks interesting, although the web info is not 100% clear or detailed, which in my experience normally means you end up with something that doesn't do quite what is says on the can.

Nolan N has been around for a while now and it is very reputable, so I am sure this is good kit.

I always like to look at these things from a first principles perspective and that normally helps you cut through the fluff.

Almost all Bluetooth devices can only pair with 1 other device at a time. Let's assume that this primary pairing is with your phone, although it is common to connect the phone to a SatNav and then pair the Satnav to your bluetooth headset. In Nolan speak this would be the Bluetooth E-Box. The satnav then regulates the muting / sound switching between phone and GPS instructions. In fact a lot of SatNav's also have memory slots and MP3 player functionality so it will also regulate sound sources between phone, MP3 (if it is in the SatNav) and GPS instructions.

From the website it appears as though the Bluetooth E-Box also has a 3.5mm connector port in it. From the photo of the HD wire harness it is a 4 port 3.5mm connector (3 little black rings) which indicates that it will carry left, right speaker info as well as a mic. These are connected to the relevant pins in the HD connector.

Nothing particularely WOW there. If...these connectors were simply hardwired then there is no way any mute type interaction could take place between the 2 systems - basically because you have used all for "poles" in the 3.5mm connector for speakers and mic so there is no way you could transmit any further data signal down that line.

What Nolan have done here though, is put a "black box" in that cable. There is, probably, some kind of wireless interaction between the Bluetooth E-Box and this box which regulates the volume / sound through the speaker channels being transmitted down the hard wire.

I am guessing, therefore, that something close to your understanding could therefore be achieved, but I am sure the devil lies in the detail and I would be asking for a full demo of all functionality before investing. I have so many "awesome" devices now sitting in boxes in my study because it didn't quite deliver on my perceived expectation.

I guess the key concerns I would have with this system would be 2 fold:

1. Which is the "master" and which is the slave source, and how do they decide to mute?

2. What batteries are fitted in the "black box" in the wiring harness?

Certainly worth investigating though

Old 12-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain
Received 152 Likes on 79 Posts

I have the Nolan Ncom Bluethooth system for my wife and I on our 2010 Ltd. I just purchased the 7 pin HD connectors so we both could also listen to the CB and hear the stereo if we choose to. My bike is in winter storage, so I can't confirm, but my understanding is the hard wired device (via cable) will be heard in the background of what you are hearing via bluetooth.
The Nolan website has a good FAC database

http://www.verganiegasco.com/n-com/s...g=en&brandid=1

Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Hunter2010
2nd Gear

Nolan told me the navigation system 99 percent of the time is the master and will mute the n com. Don't know about the batteries. Thanks guys for the feedback. Hopefully more riders will chime in and we can all learn a little bit more about this topic. If you find out anything else about this system please post it on this thread. I will do the same.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:45 AM
wild_man
Stage III

FWIW,
I know this is an older thread by I have been using the N-com setup for about a month now and yes, the Bluetooth will work with the system plugged in. It doesn't mute for the GPS feature from my phone but when I get a phone call it will mute the radio and then allow me to answer a call. If I am listening to the radio and the GPS feature from my phone tells me directions I have to have the Headset Volume louder than the radio volume to hear it.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 PM
fragmentum
Advanced

My wife and I plan to outfit our new Nolan N-90 helmets with the N-Com system with E-Box bluetooth this summer. I would like to run a less expensive Nuvi Garman GPS rather than the more expensive Garmin ZUMO systems. It's the ECONOMY...
I would like the Nuvi GPS (ie: 2460LMT or 2595LMT) to bluetooth connect with my N-Com E-Box system. I had a converstaion with a rep from Nolan on the subject after discovering the ZUMO models listed as compatible with the N-comm systems are all outdated models. He suspected that the Nuvi systems for cars would not pair up with the N-comm system because the bluetooth protocols are different.
Has anyone had the opportunity to try to connect via bluetooth the N-comm bluetooth and any of the Garmin Nuvi bluetooth GPS systems?

Old 11-22-2011, 07:32 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

u can still get some older zummos factory refubed from garmin saw a zummo220 for around 200$.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:34 AM
fragmentum
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
u can still get some older zummos factory refubed from garmin saw a zummo220 for around 200$.
Don't see these at this price at Garmin, even rebuilt ZUMO 220's are $450 so no real bargains there (their outlet store).

Quick Reply: Nolan N-com Stereo Bluetooth Helmet Systems