Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED headlight aiming

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default LED headlight aiming

I received my headlight a week ago and damm if I didnt lose the aiming instructions, went to install it tonite and the low beam works great but the hi beam goes to oblivion. I tried it on the garage door and it's about 28 inches on low and 36 on hi. Looked on harley and JW speaker but no aiming instructions. Anybody got the info on lo-hi measurment ?

Old 01-29-2011, 03:34 AM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Per service manual:
25 feet from wall, with bike laden, measure height of high beam bulb.
With bike laden, high beam should hit wall at 2 inches below measured height of high beam bulb.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:56 AM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Perfict, thanks.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:46 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you get your headlight adjusted? I just did mine last night, it is a much different proceedure for an LED then what the service manual describes but I assume you have it done by now. I also have LED passing lights, wow, on low beam there is so much light that I can't believe that the oncoming cars are not blinking at me to go from high to low beam. However, when going to high beam the passing lights turn off and you lose the surround, wide angle light, I'm thinking about re-wiring so that they stay on with high beam.

Originally Posted by av ultra
I received my headlight a week ago and damm if I didnt lose the aiming instructions, went to install it tonite and the low beam works great but the hi beam goes to oblivion. I tried it on the garage door and it's about 28 inches on low and 36 on hi. Looked on harley and JW speaker but no aiming instructions. Anybody got the info on lo-hi measurment ?

Last edited by geargrinder; 01-30-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Mntsnow
Road Master

rewiring the passing lamps was one of the best things I did on my ride....Also did my wife's heritage and makes it much better all the way around.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:36 PM
hdramon07
Cruiser

Originally Posted by geargrinder
Did you get your headlight adjusted? I just did mine last night, it is a much different proceedure for an LED then what the service manual describes but I assume you have it done by now. I also have LED passing lights, wow, on low beam there is so much light that I can't believe that the oncoming cars are not blinking at me to go from high to low beam. However, when going to high beam the passing lights turn off and you lose the surround, wide angle light, I'm thinking about re-wiring so that they stay on with high beam.
Just wondering....did you have to re-align the passing lights also, or were they in alignment from the stock lights?

FYI-the passing light re-wire mod is pretty easy to do.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not check or re-align the passing lamps, we are away from home snowbirding in TX so finding a good place to do them is difficult, will wait till we get home. Aligning them looks much more difficult then the headlamp. I was surprised how close the headlamp's alignment was after bolting it in, hopeing that the driving lights are close also.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 PM
hdramon07
Cruiser

Originally Posted by geargrinder
I did not check or re-align the passing lamps, we are away from home snowbirding in TX so finding a good place to do them is difficult, will wait till we get home. Aligning them looks much more difficult then the headlamp. I was surprised how close the headlamp's alignment was after bolting it in, hopeing that the driving lights are close also.
Thanks for the info.

I am doing the same mod to my bike, & I was hoping also that both the headlight & passing lights would be close. I know it takes a special socket to loosen the passing lamps.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:40 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anybody feel like the high beam has a hard 'line' that doesnt allow the light to travel upwards?

its hard to explain, but i wasnt too impressed with the LED light. maybe its an installer error (which i have been known to do) but i tried adjusting it and i just cant seem to see a 500 dollar benefit...

suggestions?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It has a hardline.

I think it is by design, but I havent had a chance to ride it yet (raining) so I will find out tomorrow. The aiming directions even show the hard lines that the light puts out. It is straight across for the high and has a step up like this: _/ on the lows.

Last edited by Stang951; 01-30-2011 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: LED headlight aiming