Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing or Sharknose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Batwing or Sharknose?

Looking at buying a new touring bike... but don't want any of the head shaking buffeting I experienced when test riding the Street Glide even with a taller screen....

Is the Shark nose frame mounted fairing of the Road Glides better or worse regarding the buffeting problem.

Thanks for any advice from those that have ridden / owned both. For those that don't know what "buffeting" actually is, don't bother posting.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Depending on your measurements (height, inseam, etc.) both bikes are going to have some turbulent airflow from riding. Don't know too many riders who haven't added w/s, air dampner(s), lowers & other items to clean-up the dirty air while riding.

I'd say you're going to need add-on's either way to pick the bike that fits your taste...can't go wrong w/either. BTW, I choose FLHX (bias)...

Old 02-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone recently mentioned a 7" Windsplitter screen, said that it worked well for him. I'm fairly sure that's what I'll be getting once I pick up my SG this week.. Hopefully that will work out well. Along with lower deflectors, should make things nice and peaceful.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,553 Likes on 3,058 Posts

If you'd said Electra Glide vs Road Glide rather than Bat Wing vs Sharknose, I would have perhaps believed that you didn't already know the answer!

Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,562 Likes on 10,095 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholehog
Looking at buying a new touring bike... but don't want any of the head shaking buffeting I experienced when test riding the Street Glide even with a taller screen....

Is the Shark nose frame mounted fairing of the Road Glides better or worse regarding the buffeting problem.

Thanks for any advice from those that have ridden / owned both. For those that don't know what "buffeting" actually is, don't bother posting.
Any chance you can get a test ride on a R/G ?? That would be most helpful.
I have absolutely no buffeting or turbulence on my R/G....where as my wife
gets some setting behind me.
I have an after market 10" w/s from 'bikersdelight' on ebay....@ $60 and love it.

I have ridden but never owned a batwing.....so my opinion could be lopsided

Old 02-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned both.....The RG is far superior (IMHO) as far as buffeting. But my main reason for going to the dark side is that you just don't see as many on the road.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depending on your height both are going to have buffeting with the stock windshields...
having said that, you should buy the one you like best and make it fit you.
I'm 5' 7" with a 30" inseam, I'm using a 12" klockwerks windshield on my 2010 FLTRX, I also have the 2010 CVO Street Glide seat on it that lowered me about an inch over the stock seat and I don't feel any noticeable buffeting..
I chose the Road Glide because I don't like the cramped feeling I got while sitting behind a batwing... but that's me.

Last edited by Deuce Bigelow; 02-05-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,553 Likes on 3,058 Posts

I really think the difference is less than it sounds. '98 Ultra, 65,000 miles and currently '00 S/E Road Glide 83,000 miles.
The buffeting is a bit less on the RG but was never a concern with the Ultra. Just didn't happen that often. What was a bigger issue for me was the weather protection: better on the Ultra, ( closer to the fairing.) The Road Glide offers way more "cabin space," you're a whole lot farther away from the console and windshield. It's a good big/taller man's bike. I'm 6'3" with longer arms and prefer the Road Glide overall.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:42 AM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a SG that is in storage that I've only test ridden but am getting set to roll up my sleves in the Spring to tackle the buffeting issue.

I'm leaning toward the V-Stream from National cycle. It's a polycarbonite (Lexan) shield (see the video on their site for the benefits of polycarbonite) and they show a diagram of the aerodynamic effect the shape of their shield has. I couldn't find the diagram on their website for some reason, but here it is from an ebay ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Natio...Q5fAccessories

I know it's just a duagram and not wind tunnel results, but it's the closest thing I've seen grom any of the vendors depicting the airflow. I wish they had a similar shape with a flip on the top. I'm also considering the Long Ride Shield

I would suggest you search the forum for "buffeting". You'll find far more info on the subject that way.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 AM
dparker747
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to ask, you are not ready for the shark nose

Quick Reply: Batwing or Sharknose?