Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odyssey Battery Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:12 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Back in late 2002 I bought an Odyssey PC680 and used it for a while on a smaller bike, then pulled the battery when I sold the bike. Its CCA isn't high enough to start the SG or my ZTR mower so I can't use it now, but I keep it around in hopes of finding some use for it in the future. It still holds a charge well and I put it on the Battery Tender every month or so. I would buy another for the bike, but when I need a battery there is usually no warning time to order one, so when my SG's original battery died last year I just bought an HD AGM.

Old 02-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all the complaints about giving HD any money, their batteries seem to hold up the best. Though many contend that Deka is the source that makes Harley's battery line, a friend in the battery business says the OEM battery and the Deka are different? His comment: Strongly recommend the H-D battery (no bias as a dealer). They truly are the best and most trouble free, with MUCH better storage maintenance. The added cranking amps of the Odyssey seem to only last a short time (I.E., a few quick engine turns then draining quickly to a no turn/crank state). Deka batteries are really the same as H-D AGM, just rated differently and do not have the heavy lugs and internal bridges of H-D batteries.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:05 PM
carden260
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
had one, it failed while under warranty- went out like someone threw a switch- dead!

had to buy a walmart battery to get home.

new odyssey goes in ( free replacement) last a few months and dies

the walmart battery goes back in...( I still had it in the garage)

was able to convince the store to give me store credit rather than a 3rd odyssey that might die.

battery store guy says that odyssey doesn't like trickle charger...maybe that's why the second one died ( first one they think failed internally due to vibrationn

I have been using H-D to good result. next one will likely be the deka

mike
The odyssey battery is a great battery but temperamental a tender will Kill them. They are designed to be charged differently goto there website it will tell you all about them I used to run them in my race car and had to watch how I charged them or I would kill them.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:26 PM
HDPursuit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all, I would have sold off my 'Dirty Girl' if it wasn't for this place!!

Deka 110.00 + Tender 50.00 = HD Battery w/o tender
HD Bat 160 + Tender 50.00 = Odessey w/o Tender (70.00 & up)

" Deka batteries are really the same as H-D AGM, just rated differently and do not have the heavy lugs and internal bridges of H-D batteries. "

So there is a difference between the Deka and an HD Bat.
Is there that big of a difference in cranking specs?

I remeber when throwing down 39.00 for a Honda Battery and bitchin. The good ole days. had that Honda 17 years!!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:51 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

i got flamed awhile back for saying that although deka makes hd batteries they make them to hd specs for hd, deka labeled batteries are a little different,not sayin if one is better just different.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:17 PM
HDPursuit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a very PC answer, almost flameproof

At this point I don't think Odessey is gonna get the bucks, Bat + Tender seems the way to go, If HD has a Bat that's worth the extra 50, so be it. I can beleive that the HD made by Deka may be made to higher specs. At this point I'm gonna go down to my Indie and get setup.

Flame the Flamers

Old 02-19-2011, 08:36 PM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run Shorai Lithium - weighs only 2 lbs!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:40 PM
buckmc
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a number of batteries,in the harley's that I have rode,and the best I've had has been a Interstate.If you have trouble they just give you another,they will even put it in for you>.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 131tman
I run Shorai Lithium - weighs only 2 lbs!

I was wondering if anyone tried one on a Harley yet.
I think these are the next generation batteries, building on the new Automotive technology from electric vehicles.
They are substantially lighter and can hold a charge when not in use.
No first hand experience with them though.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
If you read the Odessey website about theyre batteries, you will see they say not to use a standard trickle charger to maintain the battery. You need to use one of Odesseys chargers.
I have PC925 and have had no issues using the charger they recomend
You are correct and they cost more than a normal charger.

Quick Reply: Odyssey Battery Worth it?