Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odyssey Battery Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:11 AM
swervin irv
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deka has made HD batteries since 1999.use a battery tender and you will a long term battery...............

Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad I looked at this thread as last year I bought an Odyssey and have been keeping it on the battery tender Jr. Guess I better disconnect it...

The specs are the reason I bought it.

PC 925LMJ Specs:
  • 925 cranking amps for 5 seconds
  • 870 cranking amps for 10 seconds
  • 765 cranking amps for 20 seconds
  • Short circuit current over 2400A
  • 28 amp hours
  • 50 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
  • Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
  • Measurements (for Harley mounts):
  • Length 6 5/8"
  • Width 4 15/16"
  • Height 7"
  • Weighs 25.5 lbs

• Rugged Drycell sealed design
  • Military grade
  • Vibration resistant
  • 60% more starting power
  • Deep discharge reserve power
  • 2 year storage life
  • 8-12 year design life
  • Can be mounted in any orientation

Last edited by strtarrow; 02-20-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 AM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the battery rep where i get my batteries from told me NOT to leave a battery tender on for extended periods of time. He said use a cheap light timer to plug the tender into. Let it come on for 1 or 2 hours a day during the winter months or whenever your bike sits. Tried it this winter and the battery is fully charged.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:28 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Like mkguitar, I've never had good luck with Odyssey batteries in either my cars or race car. I just pay the tab to the HD guy and get the HD battery. They last at least 4 years, and usually longer, although I can tell when they're getting close to the end on cranking. They "drag" or hesitate when they're getting weak.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:59 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to www.bikebatts.com they have some cheaper alternatives than HD and they also have 2 year warranties. I put one of their Quadflex batteries in my 99 RK ...they have the 2 year warranty.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:16 PM
buick455gs
Cruiser

I just replaced my HD battery this weekend as the HD battery died. I always had the bike pluged in to a battery tender until this winter as I am storing it in a tariler and just did not get around to plugging it in. It did sound like it was going last fall though so I am not surprised it just gave out and charging it did not work. It was 5 years old so I got the life I expected out of it. I replaced it with a new HD battery and with a 10% off discount it cost be $145 out the door.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

I changed my HD battery after 5 years, just because I was afraid of it failing. I put the old one in my riding mower and it has worked great for two summers with no tender at all. I rarely use my tender. If I don't ride for a couple of weeks I will plug it in and wait a few minutes until the green light comes on and then unplug it.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 AM
rbrapp1
Intermediate
Default AGM Batteries

I agree about not spending a whole lot of money. I use AGM batteries in all my bikes and am very satisfied. Just be careful who you buy it from. I bought one from Bikebatts.com and it failed at about 18 months. When I tried to get it exchanged he tried to sell me a higher price battery. I questioned the warranty and prorated amount and he got mad at me and said any further correspondences will be by email and hung up on me. I did not demand anything and he did not offer a reduction in shipping and did not question my using a battery tender. This is an email from the owner, "First, you did not follow recommended charging instruction. This most likely resulted in premature failure of the battery. None the less I said we would cover the battery under the warranty policy. In addition, I agreed to waive the requirement for you to return the battery. Third, I gave you a reduced rate for warranty shipping. Next, you wanted me to give you 50% credit for a product you did not purchase. Further, you stated the 50% credit for the product you did purchase was not enough. Then you accused me of being unreasonable. Think about what transpired through this conversation. Your dogmatic, unreasonable, insulting attitude left no room for further discussion. Thus, the end to the call.
I treat reasonable people in a reasonable way.
I hope someone else enjoys your business.
Tim

I took my business elsewhere.
Russ

Try Royal Battery Co., they have a two year warranty.
www.RoyalBattery.com

Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
had one, it failed while under warranty- went out like someone threw a switch- dead!

had to buy a walmart battery to get home.

new odyssey goes in ( free replacement) last a few months and dies

the walmart battery goes back in...( I still had it in the garage)

was able to convince the store to give me store credit rather than a 3rd odyssey that might die.

battery store guy says that odyssey doesn't like trickle charger...maybe that's why the second one died ( first one they think failed internally due to vibration).

I have been using H-D to good result. next one will likely be the deka

mike
My Odyssey lasted just long enough to get out of the warranty period. I had bought and used their approved charger (still works years later!). The Odyssey hurled the bike into life when new and was very impressive for a while, but then started to fade. I won't buy another. I know other Harley owners who love them, but I don't share the same enthusiasm.

Last edited by grbrown; 02-25-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 AM
BigD64
Tourer

I use Odyssey Batteries in my Waverunners and have never had any real issues. I did have a cracked post on one which Odyssey replaced free of charge. I have been using them about 5 years and as long as i charge them before storing for the winter they are ok. Being Drycells they retain 80% of a charge up to 2 years if stored properly.

Quick Reply: Odyssey Battery Worth it?