Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arc amp & hertz speaker install

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 12:14 PM
joe mayo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arc amp & hertz speaker install

Just started the install on my 09 ultra. Its seems the bottom speaker bracket does not line up because of the magnet size of the speaker. what needs to done to make them fit.
Also, if the amp mounts on top of the HK unit, where does the small (3X5) box currently on top get mounted?
Didn't buy thru Firecap like I did a few years ago. These were bought individually on line and now I'm embarrassed to ask him for advise. Hindsight is easy.
Any imput and/or pix would be appreciated.

Thanx

Last edited by joe mayo; 02-20-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:39 PM
joe mayo
Cruiser

anyone????

Old 02-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

The metal box on top of the HK radio is the CB module. You won't be able to put the outer fairing back on the bike if the amp isn't mounted directly on top of the radio. Said another way, you'll need to move the CB module, then install the amp on top of the radio.

The CB module will fit under the radio and you can use 3M VHB (very high bond) double-sided tape to secure it; it's a very tight fit. It may also be possible to mount the CB module on top of the amp with it rotated 90 degrees (i.e. sideways). I haven't tried this sideways mounting; mine is under the radio.

Can't help with the Hertz speakers/bracket issue. What Hertz speakers are you using; what speaker adapters are you using?

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 02-20-2011, 01:48 PM
joe mayo
Cruiser

using the Hertz HCX 165's and the rings from vinyl renassaince

Old 02-20-2011, 01:57 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since the bracket is now traveling a shorter distance,.............a little 'maipulating' ( bending ), might be in order. Loosen all the screws as far as possible.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go here http://www.jmcorp.com/, you should be able to find the bracket that they include with their amplifiers that allows you to move your c.b. module underneath the stereo head unit. The ARC amp is virtually identicle to the J & M, as a matter of fact , think ARC makes it for J & M and just re-badges it as a J & M. This way you'll know that the bracket will fit your ARC amp. As someone stated above, the amp has to go on top of the head unit. Hope this helps. Sorry, I can't answer your question about your speaker fitment.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:53 PM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe that John @ J & M has stated that they won't sell the bracket separate....

Old 02-20-2011, 03:01 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be right. Makes me wish I hadn't thrown mine away when I installed my amp on my SG, I could have done someone a favor here and given it to them!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:08 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed 6.5" Titan speakers on my '08 EG.Had to reshape the horiz. fairing brackets and make some nylon spacers to clear the speaker magnets.I installed the newer brackets as the earlier ones,don't know if that's the ones stock on your '09 had a tendency to break.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 PM
joe mayo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by D2R
Installed 6.5" Titan speakers on my '08 EG.Had to reshape the horiz. fairing brackets and make some nylon spacers to clear the speaker magnets.I installed the newer brackets as the earlier ones,don't know if that's the ones stock on your '09 had a tendency to break.
when you say newer brackets, are you talking about the ones you reshaped or new brackets altogether? are you saying the stock brackets have a tendency to break?

Quick Reply: Arc amp & hertz speaker install