Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 02-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Prospect
Default fork seal installation...?

I have sent my fork lowers out to have them powdercoated, and should have them back soon. My question is this... How hard/technical is it to install the new bushings and seals in the lowers? I would like to do it myself, but not if I am going to have to do it more than once or twice (if I screw it up). The cost of a seal install tool is way cheaper than having a stealer do it, but again, only if I get it right the first time. Any sugestions, comments? Also, of those of you that do this yourself, what seal installing tool do you recommend?
Thanks for any responses....
Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

Lots of threads on this. The PVC tool works great. A friend of mine made me one using a stepdown connector the size of the metal ring that goes with the seal its a 2 x 1 1/2 and 1 1/4 piece. We then use about a 18"x 2" piece of pipe as a slide hammer.

'13 Roadglide Ultra
Zipper's A/C, Bassani 2-1, Powervision, Detachable tourpack kit, 12" Windvest, Daymakers, C&C Fastback Seat, 12" Buky Odyssey bars, Biketronics 2180 amp with 7.1s in the fairing and 6.5s in the lowers, Streetglide rear fascia mod, Willy G Skull items
Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Club Member

It's a pretty simple job...especially since you have everything apart for the powdercoating. The fork seal tool is a great investment and leaves very little room for error if you may be doing the job again for your own ride or someone elses bike. But if you are only going to use it just this one time you may want to pass. Like SG_Dave said...the PVC pipe route works very well.

Good luck...

Steve

2009 Red Hot Sunglo FLHX w/CVO | SE 120R 131HP/133TQ (SAE) | SE 58mm TBI w/Hi-Flow Injectors (HPI) & Heavy Breather | Barnett Racing Clutch | SE Comp | TTS | Jackpot XXX Headers / V&H Hi-Flows | Progressive Suspension 940's & Monotubes | Jagg Oil Cooler | Baker F6R / Attitude Adjuster / +1.5 Oil Pan | LED Headlight and AUX Lights | Navigation & iPod Interface | Hawg Wired Amp & Speakers | Reaper Wheels | Wild 1 578 Chubbys
Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 AM
One Of The Regulars

I just did my front forks on a Dyna and used the tubes as a slide hammer to remove the old seals and the old seals to help set the new ones.

00 Dyna Low Rider - 95 muscle motor
13 Road Glide Ultra - barkalounger
Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Road Master

As everyone else said, get a seal driver (or PVC model). Just set the big flat washer first and then the seal. Install the retaining ring and your done.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Prospect

ok. sounds good. I think I'll order up the seal tool, as I'll probably get my gal a chrome set of legs for her scooter too. I can practice on my ride, so she can't b**** me out for experimenting on her ride.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Hang Around

Does anyone have a pic of this home made pvc seal installation tool. I am pullin mine apart tonight and would like to save the money and make my own tool.

thanks in advance
Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Prospect

I'd like to see a picture of this too.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectraHead View Post
Does anyone have a pic of this home made pvc seal installation tool. I am pullin mine apart tonight and would like to save the money and make my own tool.

thanks in advance
Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Road Master

I too would like to see it. Thanks in advance, Mike
1971 Triumh Trident (sold)
2007 H.D. flhp
173rd Abn.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

For the PVC home tool:
Consider taking your new replacement seals to LOWES, HOME DEPOT, ACE or whatever hardware store you have local.
#1 Look at the boxes with the various white plumbing PVC connectors
#2 look for one that just fits the seal..not bigger but just fits it.
#3 If your working on a bike that the tubes are not coming off for installation then the PVC piece must be cut in half vertically.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:02 PM

P