Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 PM
capstone
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control not working

I took off my carb on my 2001 road king recently and now my cruise doesn't work. My bike has a switch on the left fork lock cover with a red led for cruise and a switch on the right for the passing lamps with a green led. I followed the steps in my 2001 service manual (the lash procedure in my manual is for an ultra not a RK with optional cruise) for the cable lash and its not working. I hold the resume switch, turn on the left side cruise switch, turn on the ignition, start the engine; the manual says the green cruise lamp C on the tach will illumnate and then go off. I have no tach, the grren light for my passing lamps comes on and blicks but never goes off. when I enable the resume switch again to pull in the cable it does not move. What should I look for?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Check the cable to the cruse servo is connected. Member Desoto just posted some thing about this....

Trucky911

Old 02-27-2011, 07:45 PM
TheStinger
Cruiser

One..I assume you re connected the cabe to the throttle lever? Second try disconnecting one of the two wires on the roll of switch under the tank by the right side neck (on your throttle cable). The cruse module "may" see contunity through the switch and not alow the system to enguage. I had that poblem on my 02 while back for no reason the CC stopped working and it ended up needeing a new cable because the switch was "on" all the time.
Hope you find it!
-S

Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 AM
capstone
Advanced

I need a little more help or at least verification I’m on the right track troubleshooting this.

I checked and the cable is connected to the servo, which I assume is the cruise control module under the left side panel. The cable coming from the module is routed correctly and attached to the carb correctly with a slight bit of slack. My front and rear brake lights work. Now I’m trying to check the roll-off switch. Can someone tell me if this photo is the roll-off switch? Its right where the throttle cables come down from the bars and under the tank. I pulled the boot off and there were 2 connections, a purple wire and orange wire on the white connectors.

I found some instructions about measuring the voltage at the roll-off switch and it reference pin G which I’m not sure which that is. I did disconnect the orange wire from the switch and measured the voltage from the orange wire to the purple wire that was still connected to the switch. I got 12v with the throttle open or closed and if I read the other posts right I should only get 12v with the throttle closed. Did I test this correctly?

Also someone said I could disconnect one of the wires from the roll-off switch and test the cruise and that would tell me if it was the switch. If I do this, should I still be able to perform the lash initialization or do I need to take the bike for a spin and test the cruise? Disconnecting one of the wires did not allow me to perform the lash adjust.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

I can't tell if that is the roll off switch or not, but since your problem started after you removed the carb, I would recheck your connections there.

Secondly, you mention that the spot indicator comes on and blinks. I question whether you have the cruise connected to the correct plug for power. The reason that I question this is that I had my fairing off, and when reconnecting the plugs, I accidentally crossed the tach and cruise plugs (same configuration plugs). When I switched them back all was fine.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 AM
capstone
Advanced

Can someone answer the questions about the roll-off switch. I'm thinking this is where my problem is. Thanks

Last edited by capstone; 03-02-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 AM
capstone
Advanced

Anyone?

Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The photo you have is the roll off switch, I have my manual in front of me,I am having issues with my cruise also , I will see if I can figure out how to test.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:59 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

back under the left side panel you need to unplug the main plug ,put ohm meter on the orange, and purple wire in the plug, it must read infinity, with the cable at slack,when you tighten the idle cable it should read continuity.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
PappyUSMC
Tourer

Had a similar problem.

The issue was my brake sensor on the rear brake.

One way to know for sure.. is to check your brake lights... use the brakes alot... then see if one of the brakes stays on when not pressed. If so.. that will mess up everything that goes with the brake system.. ie.. cruise.

Quick Reply: cruise control not working