Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the midst of doing the same thing for my '07 Ultra

I emailed Daniel Stern Lighting to get the straight skinny from an industry expert, and here was his response to me -- I'll be ordering a new lamp in the immediate future.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My E-mail to DSL

I am looking to upgrade the OEM lighting on my 2007 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic.

Currently the system is an H4 halogen with a single headlamp lens - hi-lo beam

Nighttime riding is pitiful at best, but the addition of the 55w bulbs from a friend of mine in the passing lamps helped tremendously.
(I believe they are Piaa H3's-but not sure -it's been over a year since I put them in)

I do a lot more night riding than the average guy and generally rack up well into 10k and as much as 15k per year on my bike. I will be making another cross country trip this year as well.

I am not inclined to spend the multiple hundreds of dollars on an HID system for Harley Davidson, especially when I don't see the WOW factor from users on BBS forums that an investment of that type should indicate.

I am inclined however, to spend smart money. A wise investment for the long term, and bulletproof performance.

Upon the urging of a few guys that I trust who are smart and experienced in the motorcycle touring world, I am interested in the Cibie headlamps and new bulb for my bike. - Perhaps even changing the passing lamps again as well.

I am told that if nothing else, simply changing out the OEM lamp housing and still using the OEM bulb will make a huge difference, and adding the good bulb will make an unbelievable change.

FWIW, I run with passing lamps on all the time as Atlanta traffic dictates that one should be as conspicuous as possible...and still I go to too many funerals, but this is a different tale. It would be correct to say that I need a long life bulb.

As an aside, I'd like to know your thoughts on amber passing lamps. I tend to think that as a daytime option the oddness of it might make the bike more conspicuous, but having not driven with amber lamps at night since I was a youngster in upstate NY, and then only in a car - I cannot say how they might help or hinder.

What say you - ??

DSL's Answer to me ---Apparently from the man himself - I'm already impressed.

Daniel Stern at your service.

The main problem you're up against is the optics in the stock headlamp.
They're focused to give a pretty wide spread of light, but there's not
enough seeing distance ahead. Put in a Cibie lens-reflector unit ($74.95)
and an Osram 70/65w bulb ($22, maybe get a spare), aim the lamp carefully
and correctly per http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html ,
and you'll find you're much better able to see at night. If you want to
upgrade the 'passing lamps', be advised they will never provide much of
any light useful for seeing -- they're too small. However, they can be put
to good use as conspicuity lights to help other road users see you in time
to avoid doing something dumb in front of you. The original units create a
beam only 11 degrees wide. You can replace these beam units with selective
yellow wide-beam units (40 degrees wide) so that people pulling out from
side streets or adjacent lanes will be more likely to notice your presence
and position before doing so. I no longer stock the #4415A passing lamp upgrade beam units, but you ought to be able to find them quite easily, either locally or online, with a search on *4415A sealed beam *. Insist on a good brand (GE or Wagner), and see to it the ones you get are *yellow*, not the bizarre dark brown colour some of the lenses have been coming through with.

There are other sources for the Cibie headlamp I recommend, but I do believe I have the best price and I try hard to have the best service.

Proof of pudding, see https://www.hdforums.com/m_3263504/tm.htm

"HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps (any kit, any headlamp, any vehicle) do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html . (emphasis and color added by Cujo)

Have a helper hold the bike upright while you aim the new headlamp per the "VOL" instructions and the passing lamps per the "VOR" instructions at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html and your nighttime seeing will be a great deal safer and easier.

Piaa H3

PIAA's entire line of bulbs, lamps, wipers, and everything else they sell
is of mediocre quality, performance, and durability. The "improvement" is largely illusory; you can do vastly better for much less money.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

So with all of that, from a noted and bona-fide industry lighting expert-- I think my choice is clear...

Hope this helps you too.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 AM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I've tried about everything to upgrade my headlight short of the new LEDs. I think the Osram 80/100 was very good but no one will ride in front of me at night now. I tried an HID and I thought it was very bright but I didn't think it projected down the road far enough. Once in a while a car would flash me but pretty much they are the low riding cars. After careful review of available information including great comparisons between Truck Lite and HD LED headlights, I ordered the Truck lite phase 6 from Eastern Performance for $269 including shipping. Got the white LED trim bezel too for another $69 but I'm not sure if I'll like it or not. I had my mind made up on buying the Cibie lamp and putting in an Osram bulb but when I didn't get a reply from Daniel Stern's website to put an order in, I reconsidered everything and thought that all I was doing was continuing to work with old technology. So I get the new LED headlight today and maybe put it in tonight. I'll try to put some nighttime pics on this site in the near future.
Eastern Performace, btw, is an excellent vendor. I've use the company many many times with no problems if anyone out there hasn't heard of it.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a specific silverside bulb I need to get? It's a 2010 street glide

Old 03-18-2011, 12:40 PM
dcurrie
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear the good reports on the HD LEDs. I just purchased the headlight and auxilary lights yesterday. I'm looking forward to a lot safer night time riding.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:27 AM
jussunduuri
Advanced

Originally Posted by Iceman24
80/100 Osram bulb from GermanAutoParts.com - very bright & under $20/shipped.

Go to http://www.germanautoparts.com/Hardware/Bulbs/H4 & it's the 4th one down.
any heat issue?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mixter
Is there a specific silverside bulb I need to get? It's a 2010 street glide
I think if you stay in the midrange as far as light temp goes you'll be good -
That is to say, stay away from the super high blue color projector style lights, unless your lens is made for them. They look cool, but the usable light isn't really there.

Thats the impression I got from reading up on it anyway..

Old 03-19-2011, 09:32 PM
black ice ultra
2nd Gear

I have HID lights, Headlamp and spots. WOW what a difference they make. It's like riding in the daylight. Checkout- Hemrickperformance.com

Old 03-19-2011, 09:57 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

Have you tried the HD dual bulb 55/65 headlight? It has a dedicated wide low beam and a dedicated far reaching high beam. On brights, both bulbs stay lit giving you wide and far visibility. It is an aluminum housing unit made by JWSpeaker who I believe is an industry leader in lighting. I have had the LED, stock and this dual bulb. I like it. Retail is $149.95. I sold my stock H4 for $50 so it was a $100 upgrade well worth the admission price. I will include the beam chart.

Attached Thumbnails Headlight Upgrade?-67700032-dual-bulb-halogen-headlight.jpg  
Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 AM
banginTwins
Cruiser

Hey joflewbyu....do you know what bulbs are in that dual bulb headlight housing? Like are they H11, H1's, H4's?? Would be a huge help if you know exactly what bulbs are that housing AND in the HD Passing LIghts too....anyone know?
Thanks
Bangin

Old 04-12-2011, 05:17 PM
duglaura&flhti
Road Warrior

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by banginTwins
Hey joflewbyu....do you know what bulbs are in that dual bulb headlight housing? Like are they H11, H1's, H4's?? Would be a huge help if you know exactly what bulbs are that housing AND in the HD Passing LIghts too....anyone know?
Thanks
Bangin
Scew the Light, thats a nice Buttock on your avatar.....Im so Mezmerized....I could only dream what the headlights look on the front on those schweet buttocks....Thanks Bangin....D

Quick Reply: Headlight Upgrade?