Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heavy Breather noise and PCiii map question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:08 PM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts
Default Heavy Breather noise and PCiii map question

OK, I installed a heavy breather and VH pripe pipe HO. over the weekend.

1st, the heavy breather makes a noise, almost like a whistle, that sounds like a leak, but it seems to be coming from the filter itself. I've stuck my ear as close to the exhaust ports and backing plate as I can, but this noise sounds like its coming from the filter itself. Is that just the normal sucking sound I have heard of?

2nd, I am using the map for VH Pro pipe and SE A/C stock ECU. The bike seems to run good, better than stock, I really notice it when I can cruise at 45 in 5th as smooth as can be, whereas stock it seemed like 50 was the minimum for 5th. The only issues I've noted are popping on decel, but really only hard decel, and sometimes a little cough when I crack the throttle on a downshift, but it doesn't seem to do it if I crack it hard.

I don't really care about top performance, so should I do a dyno tune? Or just run it and inspect the spark plugs every now and then for lean or rich conditions?

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Bearcat1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The sound you hear from the heavy breather is normal. It's just sucking in more air. And when you roll on the throttle you'll more than likely hear it more. It's not called a heavy breather for nothing.

Your decel pop can be taken out if you have access to a laptop and can hook it up to your PC. Normally you have to adjust the numbers in the 0% throttle column. I've seen some have to go up and some go down. Guess it just depends on your setup. I had to bump mine up on my PCV from a value of 10 to 30 (more fuel) to take out the decel pop.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:28 PM
cbrenthus
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,574 Likes on 662 Posts

Just an update, I e-mailed Dyno Jet about the PCiii map, and they called me back today and left a voice mail saying that the restrictor is the heads, and that the heavy breather won't pull any more air than the screaming eagle airfilter. They recommended I use the M807-219 map, which was the one I was originally going to use but ended up using M807-027 instead (I think).

So, I think I'm good, can't wait to try the other map!

Old 04-08-2011, 04:03 PM
trailey97
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know if youve done it yet with your laptop, but call me crazy bc when i did it i felt like a complete geek watchin my rpms and everything on the screen, thought it was kick ***...went on to tryin out a few different maps just for ships n giggles

Old 04-08-2011, 04:17 PM
vnelson79
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like louder pipes are needed to offset the A/C noise....