Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG vs SG vs RK Wind Buffeting, NOT Just from over windshield. Best air bubble?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:53 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RG vs SG vs RK Wind Buffeting, NOT Just from over windshield. Best air bubble?

Hey All,

I'm curious.. I know there have been plenty of wind buffeting posts out there..

I have a SG.. Don't like the wind buffeting.. Don't really like the big as*s windshield that is necessary to provide a "bubble" of protection... Yea Yea.. "ride in a cage if you don't like wind.. " I've heard it, and I don't like wind buffeting.. I don't even like it on my forehead where it seems to hit me, even with higher windshields, or the top of my head.. I want a clean bubble.. I have the freedom wings, and fork baffles...

For some reason, I'd rather have a big shield on a RG than on a SG.. The SG with a big screen kinda feels like a bad *** dude, with a bowtie..

That being said.. I'm thinking about a second bike.. Either a RK or RG.. Any thoughts on wind buffeting between the 3 bikes from those that have ridden them?

I also am concerned about the way the wind comes from underneath my fairing and smacks me with dirty air. Didn't have that on my RK, or at least I didn't notice it until I became buffeting paranoid lately.

So my thoughts are.. Would the RG fairing reduce the buffeting in all directions, or be worse, or similar to the SG.. Because if that's the case, I'd do the RK.. If you think it is better by far, then I may go RG..

What are your thoughts for the cleanest bubble of air? I'm thinking potentially RK because the shield is close to you, but at the same time, not as wide as the others, creating less of a nuisance..

Last edited by jeffreyjames; 05-08-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:16 PM
allofus81
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride a Road Glide Custom and have road all of the models you talk about and the buffering on the Street Glide is BY FAR the WORST! With a medium short windshield of course. I HATE the wind on the Street Glide. The Street Glide I speak of has the fork baffle with the next step up windshield from stock. I get MORE wind on my Road Glide with a 8 inch windvest windshield but the wind is nice and doesnt beat me up like the Street Glide. Ride a Road Glide and make your desicion from there.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

I'm getting slight buffeting with my RK even with the fork lowers...a lot of different factors has to do with it hence why some people feel it more than others....helmet styles, posture, crosswinds etc...

I'm replacing the oem shield with probably an LRS 19" shield with the flip...lot of good reviews so I'm gonna try one out soon

Old 05-08-2011, 08:20 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain

I have heard that "clean air" is possible on the road glide.. I haven't heard this possibility with the SG. Kinda no air, or dirty air.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain

I had a slightly higher than stock clearview on my last rk, and didn't notice any buffeting.. Port dawg.. Where are you getting the buffeting?

Old 05-08-2011, 08:33 PM
jperez434
Cruiser

I'm going through the same experience, Jeffrey. I've got some chrome fork lowers coming in in a few weeks from some guy I found on ebay. www.street-glide.com. I'll let you know how they work out for me. I'm 71.5" tall, have a tallboy seat on my FLHX and started out with a Klockwerks 8.5. It was fine under 55 mph, but at highway speeds it was a no-go. I bought a 12" light tint windshield and it does better but I still get some tapping on the top of my DOT half helmet. I next bought the wind deflectors that attach to the lower part of the batwing fairing and it helped out a ton. Next I bought the baffle that goes in between the forks and just removed it. It felt like it made it worse.

I totally agree with you about the bad a$$ with a bowtie. Thinking about trying out a 10 or 10.5 inch recurve shield just to help with the aesthetics.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:34 PM
rags-46
Advanced

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
I'm getting slight buffeting with my RK even with the fork lowers...a lot of different factors has to do with it hence why some people feel it more than others....helmet styles, posture, crosswinds etc...

I'm replacing the oem shield with probably an LRS 19" shield with the flip...lot of good reviews so I'm gonna try one out soon
cut the top mount off the fork deflectors raise it flush with top of fork tubes drill new holes, it cuts alot of the wind from below= less buffeting

Old 05-08-2011, 08:37 PM
jperez434
Cruiser

A buddy just picked up a Klockwerks for his Heritage at their vendor trailer at Thunder Beach. They installed the shield for free, swapping out all the hardware and re-installing it on the bike and even mailed his old shield back to his house for free. Klockwerks also does demo rides. Hit up a Harley Dealer parts department to contact Klockwerks and they'll ship out demo shields you can try out. Good luck on the buffeting quest...we all need it.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:39 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I added the fairing deflectors and they seemed to help with the under the fairing air. I tried an 8" windshield(LongRides) and there's less dirty air but I didn't like the height of it. I was still looking over it but it was too high for me. I've demoed Road Kings with the windshield on and there's definitely less wind as far as I could tell but that was with the tall shield(looking through it). On my Heritage I cut the windshield down about 4" so I was looking over it and it would have been slightly higher than the SG 4" windshield. It also has less turbulence than the stock SG setup. I tend to slouch a bit so that helps on the SG as it drops me down a bit but I still get air. For the options you listed I think the RK is the best option. I find the WS is better for buffeting and you can cut it down to your liking. Can't offer anything on the RG, never been on one.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm 6'2, have a Klockweks 8.5" screen and air deflectors, and could smoke a cigarete behind my fairing if I wanted.

~Joe

Quick Reply: RG vs SG vs RK Wind Buffeting, NOT Just from over windshield. Best air bubble?