Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bought a tank bra, OH NO!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bought a tank bra, OH NO!!!!

I bought a tank bra becuase I did not want to scuff the new paint on my bike. Well I read a great post the other day about what not to buy, and you gussed it what came up on the list over and over again; TANK BRA. What I did not see was an explination as to why the tank bra was so terriable..Can someone tell me why it sucks so bad.

I bought it new on ebay and by the time I get home to I will not be able to return it.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:39 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I bought one for my wifes 883C.I wasnt on there long.Noticed it starting to rub the paint.
Just like bras for cars,dirt /dust will gather between the cover and paint.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I also have a new paint job and noticed some scratches where I wiped away gas that spilled over onto my tanks right side. Some time ago I bought a buffing wheel and some McGuire's buffing/polishing liquid compound and it works great. I attach the wheel to my cordless drill and good to go. Sorry you lost out on the return but having a similar ebay issue myself.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use 3M paint protection film to cover the area the bra will touch. That stuff is tough and no marking on the actual paint job just the film ( Which can be pealed back off ) I do leave my tank bra on year round except when Im washing the trike

Old 05-13-2011, 08:36 AM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran one on my last bike because of the clamshell position due to forwards and drags, and the belt buckle situation. Truth is that it will rub the paint off. I never took it off so it didn't bother me. But if i did take it off i would have a hard time buffing out everything the bra had done. The seam at the top actually rubbed the black to a total white. Wouldn't suggest running one on your bike. May want to look into wrapping your tank instead. Clear film you can't even see.

*Edit* +1 on fltr2008trike... film underneath the bra if you just like the look of the bra as well.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:40 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have never put them on a bike, but I have on a car. Both had front end paint damage so I didn't care. They are tough on the paint underneath, but as had been said, if you never intend on taking it off, they look great.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:20 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on them rubbing through the paint. The film under is a great idea but if your bike sees a lot of sun, the paint under the bra will be noticeably darker than the sun exposed paint over time.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:49 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

I prefer "bra-less" on things that I ride.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:17 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Since ya asked..to me, where its a car or bike, their like nails on a blackboard. They do rub the paint and would never wash me bike with one on as I'm sure fine dirt and grime would get under it and be trapped, messin with the paint. Only wayI would have one is if the paint was so screwed up and I just wanted to hide it.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:23 PM
usmc3468
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
I prefer "bra-less" on things that I ride.

I +1 That...............

Quick Reply: bought a tank bra, OH NO!!!!