Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackpot Mufflers Quiet Baffle Silence Insert

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackpot Mufflers Quiet Baffle Silence Insert

Hello all,

Installed a set of Jackpot Dyno Tuned pipes w/ end caps. Love the deep tone. I got the quiet baffle as well, for me, it's almost too quiet with the silent insert in, but too loud w/o it. Also a lot more decel pops w/o the insert in place.

Has anyone modify or drill out the insert to make it "in-between"? The search results in most folks leave out the insert, some even drill out the quiet baffle, but not the insert. What's the best way to modify the insert?

I might be one of the very few who feel even with the quiet baffle, is just a shade too loud.....

Old 05-20-2011, 10:26 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
Hello all,

Installed a set of Jackpot Dyno Tuned pipes w/ end caps. Love the deep tone. I got the quiet baffle as well, for me, it's almost too quiet with the silent insert in, but too loud w/o it. Also a lot more decel pops w/o the insert in place.

Has anyone modify or drill out the insert to make it "in-between"? The search results in most folks leave out the insert, some even drill out the quiet baffle, but not the insert. What's the best way to modify the insert?

I might be one of the very few who feel even with the quiet baffle, is just a shade too loud.....
I agree with you, but since I've done a cam upgrade my noise issues are greater. The upgrade increased my noise level considerably and that prompted buying the Quiet Baffle, which helped but in some cases is still a bit throaty for my taste. The Silent Insert quietened it down too much and the performance hit was far greater than I was willing to accept, so it stays in the parts bin in my garage.

I too have wondered if you could open the insert a bit, like maybe re-shaping it from an oval to a round shape. That would help, but I still think it would be too great of a performance hit. The Quiet Baffle affects performance over the standard baffle, but not much, and mostly above 4500 rpm where I don't go often. I'm not willing to take a performance hit that I can feel, so I'll probably just endure the irritation I experience only a minority of the time, which is mostly only on the highway on grades or against a stiff headwind as the pipe give a hammering effect which grates on my nerves. This is not the fault of the mufflers, but mostly a side-effect of the cam change.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:20 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

I was thinking maybe drilling a 1/4" hole in the insert and see what happens. Maybe another one on the other end of the insert. Figure this way, the exhaust at least don't have to make a U-turn passing through the small flat insert.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:20 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Where would you drill the hole?

Old 05-20-2011, 04:12 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

I was thinking on the outlet end on next to the hole in the center. If that's not enough, then the inlet side 180 degree offset.

Just talked to Keith @ FuelMoto, he said they haven't try to modify the insert. He suggested maybe break the weld where the inlet/outlet joint together, so the exhaust just have to pass through a flattened inlet, then straight out.

I also ordered another insert ($15-$20), so if I mess up, I've got another one to experiment with

Old 05-20-2011, 05:13 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
I was thinking on the outlet end on next to the hole in the center. If that's not enough, then the inlet side 180 degree offset.

Just talked to Keith @ FuelMoto, he said they haven't try to modify the insert. He suggested maybe break the weld where the inlet/outlet joint together, so the exhaust just have to pass through a flattened inlet, then straight out.

I also ordered another insert ($15-$20), so if I mess up, I've got another one to experiment with

I'm in same boat. Just went from Dyne tuned to their 4". I have 255 cams in mine and even with the baffle it's too loud for me. Please post if you find success with the insert.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by bobros
I'm in same boat. Just went from Dyne tuned to their 4". I have 255 cams in mine and even with the baffle it's too loud for me. Please post if you find success with the insert.
Are the 4" louder than the 3½" Jackpots? Do you have the Quiet Baffle in the 4" now?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:49 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Default re

I also found the insert to be way too restrictive.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:01 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Bores last night. Went ahead and drill two 1/4" holes on the outlet side of the insert, either side of the mounting flange. Looks like this:

Will test it out this afternoon and post back result.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:37 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Are the 4" louder than the 3½" Jackpots? Do you have the Quiet Baffle in the 4" now?
I had the 3 1/2" Jackpots on my SG and have the 4" on the RK now. To me the sound is deeper on the 4" mufflers, while the 3 1/2" seem to be a higher pitch tone. But then with my hearing I may be all wet. At cruising speed (55-75)there is no droning or "hammering effect" but, I am not running any cam or plan to.

Quick Reply: Jackpot Mufflers Quiet Baffle Silence Insert