Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....

Good morning, Riders.

A few weeks back I had to replace the kick stand spring on my scoot.

While at a local shop; I had a new spring installed.

Since having the new spring installed; each time I park on the slightest of slopes, my bike wants to roll - either forward or backward depending on the grade.

This got me to thinking as to how the "kickstand" actually prevents the bike from rolling?

And what could the mechanic have done, (wrong spring used, spring installed backwards), to prevent the kickstand from engaging properly?

Your opinions and comments are welcomed.

Ride In Peace

Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I think, if you look at the way the jiffy stand is designed you will see how it works. It doesn't engage until the weight of the bike is applied and a slight roll forward or back is normal. Once it is locked it is not going any place. Harley has the best designed stand out there.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by hojones
I think, if you look at the way the jiffy stand is designed you will see how it works. It doesn't engage until the weight of the bike is applied and a slight roll forward or back is normal. Once it is locked it is not going any place. Harley has the best designed stand out there.
I had to park downhill the other day. The kickstand held well, despite my cynicism. Anyone know how much of a grade you can be downhill and still use the jiffy stand?

Last edited by Ron750; 05-27-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They all roll a bit if on a sloping surface, but it's normal don't trip over it.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 AM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its unique with harleys, its a option that is included with the price..

Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Don't know how much angle/grade it would take to hold bike/jiffy-stand, but I'm sure a person can decide this, based on common sense. Also, if bike's at high parked angle, keep it in gear to prevent rolling/tipping...JMO.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t059736
Good morning, Riders.

A few weeks back I had to replace the kick stand spring on my scoot.

While at a local shop; I had a new spring installed.

Since having the new spring installed; each time I park on the slightest of slopes, my bike wants to roll - either forward or backward depending on the grade.

This got me to thinking as to how the "kickstand" actually prevents the bike from rolling?

And what could the mechanic have done, (wrong spring used, spring installed backwards), to prevent the kickstand from engaging properly?

Your opinions and comments are welcomed.

Ride In Peace
To fit the spring you need to pull the kickstand off. If the mechy didnt put the tabbed washer back on (pretty hard to leave it off) or if it was put on wrong then the bike could roll a bit more than normal.

How the kickstand works is there is a tabbed washer on the top of the kickstand which locks into the u shaped mount for the kickstand. You can see the tab in this pic attached. The spring holds the kickstand in the down position and the tab is not engaged. When the weight of the bike goes onto the kickstand the tab locks in and the kickstand cant fold up.

Attached Thumbnails Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....-p105078_large-harley_davidson_soft_tail-kick_stand_view.jpg  
Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 307 Likes on 117 Posts

My first Harley freaked me out when I parked it and it began to roll forward. I was standing inside the storefront looking through the glass and would not have been able to prevent it from falling over. That's when I got down and really examined how Harley makes a Jiffy Stand. It's a helluva design really, and unless the mechanism actually breaks, your bike will NOT fall over. Once you put the weight of your scoot on the stand the top of the stsand engages a T shaped, or fork shaped mechanism. Once engaged, it's locked in place and can't be moved until the weight of the bike is lifted from it. Once this occurs, the spring releases it and you can close the stand and ride off. It takes some getting used to for the first time Harley owner but once you feel comfortable with it you won't worry about it again.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bottom of the kickstand is smooth chrome so its going to slide a bit on many surfaces.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great explanations; KingKingKing and Navy Mustang.

Neither this scoot nor any of my previous scoots "rolled" the way this one does now.

At least now, I have something to check.

Thanks again.

Ride In Peace

Quick Reply: Bike rolling with jiffy (kick) stand engaged.....