Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering an Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:51 PM
bob_kikkert
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering an Ultra

What are some of the best trailers for an ultra that can be pulled by a car? Is it preferable to have an open or closed trailer? I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience in this area.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:03 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Most would rather have an enclosed trailer to protect their bike and have extra storage. Kinda like having your garage along on the trip. But they are heavier and create more wind resistance. Takes more HP to pull them. If you are going to pull it with a car, I would look at Aluma Trailers. They are well built and light weight. The model you might want to look at on their website is the MCIF, single bike open trailer. only weigh's about 350 lbs.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:08 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out Kendon trailers also, light, strong, independent axle, and easy to store.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have a picture of my Ultra Classic on my trailer but here's one of my previous bikes on it. This is a 5x10 with a mesh gate. It's really easy to get the bike safely on and off the trailer and it tows really well. You can pick up these kind of trailers all over the place for less than $1,000 new. The nice thing is that the trailer can be used for lots of other stuff as well....hauling mulch, wood, gravel, furniture, lawn mowers.....whatever.

Attached Thumbnails Trailering an Ultra-2417expy_bike_trailer-2.jpg   Trailering an Ultra-2417expy_bike_trailer-3.jpg  
Old 05-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Ricky06Roadking
Cruiser

I love the Kendons. They are well made, light, easy storeable. On the downside they are very pricey. You can buy a very clean used enclosed for the same money.

I had this one made. 4" drop with lube through spindles, 15" tires, 18ga fenders with 1/8" steel floor. I had my ramp made to slide under the frame and over the axle to keep the wind drag to a minimum. I was very pleased with the outcome. Total weight with a FLHRCI is under 2K. I pull with a Suburban and it's like it's back there.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:52 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
Most would rather have an enclosed trailer to protect their bike and have extra storage. Kinda like having your garage along on the trip. But they are heavier and create more wind resistance. Takes more HP to pull them. If you are going to pull it with a car, I would look at Aluma Trailers. They are well built and light weight. The model you might want to look at on their website is the MCIF, single bike open trailer. only weigh's about 350 lbs.
+1

If you are pulling with a car, one of these low weight aluminum trailers is good. The Aluma brand is very good.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:52 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vader on his Trailmaster, Inc. "Lowrider Tilt" trailer. 400 lb dry. 1200 & change with the big boy on board. Lexus doesn't even feel it. One man loading, rock guard, etc. I like it a lot.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:23 PM
babyray
Tourer

Question? if you bought a motorcycle to pull around behind a car why didnt you get a chopper instead of a "touring" bike.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:06 AM
bob_kikkert
Tourer

Question? if you bought a motorcycle to pull around behind a car why didnt you get a chopper instead of a "touring" bike?

Because I do a lot of long distance touring within this part of the country. I now want to tour in places like Arizona, New Mexico and Texas and also ride the coastal highway of California which I'm sure you are familiar with. Also, it would allow me to go from a cooler climate to a warmer one earlier in the year.

I hope this answers your question.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:26 PM
NECaveman
Tourer

I have a 6x12 Haulmark enclosed trailer. I use it to haul my SG, plus anything else I can fit into the trailer. The advantage of a enclosed trailer is the bike is protected from the elements and no one can see what is inside the trailer. The disadvantage is I have to store it in a storage lot because I have no room at home. Also, the enclosed trailer requires more HP to pull versus the open trailer due to more wind resistance and weight of the trailer. The advantage of the open trailer is its lighter and requires less HP to pull and takes up less space. The disadvantage is everyone sees what is loaded on the trailer.

I looked at and considered numerous trailers, open and enclosed, designed specifically for motorcycles, and those that were not. I went with the enclosed because I wanted one trailer to do it all. If you go with an open trailer, I do suggest you get one designed to haul a motorcycle. They are typically light weight, don't require a lot of HP to pull when loaded, and have a low center of gravity. Also, if you go with a fold up trailer you can store it inside the garage or basement. There are a number of fold-up utility trailers that will work. Keep in mind if you go with a utility trailer the center of gravity will be higher versus the bike trailer, such as Kendon or Trailmaster.

My suggestion, Kendon or the Trailmaster or a trailer designed for a bike. The Kendon's are going for something like $2300 new. You might be able to find a used one on ebay or shop around. If you going to do a lot of long haul trailering, try to get a trailer with 15" tires since they ride better and hold up better to pot holes and road debris compared to 12-13" tires. Plus a spare tire.

Caveman...

Last edited by NECaveman; 05-28-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Grammar.

Quick Reply: Trailering an Ultra