Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp Dash Gauge: 203*, Digital Oil Temp Dipstick: 257*, Which Do I Believe???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:33 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oil Temp Dash Gauge: 203*, Digital Oil Temp Dipstick: 257*, Which Do I Believe???

I've been using a digital oil temp dipstick on my 2011 103" Street Glide.

On a hot days, dipstick temps will read up to ~278*, and my EITMS kicks in.

Today, I installed a HD dash-mount oil temp gauge.

However, when the dash gauge reads ~230*, the dipstick reads ~257*. There seems to be a 25*-30* discrepancy between the two.

Which reading should I believe?

Is there a way to test each unit, to see which is truly accurate?

I know these digital oil temp dipsticks get a bad rap, but I used this exact one on my Road King last year and never had a problem. Typical Road King temps would read ~230* on the dipstick.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2011, 07:17 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where's your sending unit?The dip stick gauge is pretty accurate when it's working.Those higher temps. are about right if your bikes all stock.ETMS is supposed to kick in @ 270*

Last edited by D2R; 06-02-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:23 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

On the dash gage.....the numbers do not necessarily 'line-up' with the 'hash marks'..
if you know what I mean. Seems, if I recall....the numbers are to the right of the corosponding mark on the gage...
When I had a bike with the dash gage....I figured as long as the needle wasn't
past the halfway mark.....
all was good.
After awhile, I never payed attention to the gage.

chuck

Last edited by themensh; 06-02-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2011, 07:31 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the dipstick is about right. You can always check it in some boiling water. I have seen a few installs of the sending unit for the dash gauge done incorrectly. Either not installed deep enough or the wrong sender was used. Was an adapter used for the sending unit?

Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's just like having 2 clocks... never know what time it really is.

I'd check the dipstick in some boiling water and use another thermometer to verify.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I have both gauges and have experienced the same difference between the two. I believe the reason is that the oil in the pan is actually cooler than the oil at the dip stick.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by D2R
Where's your sending unit?The dip stick gauge is pretty accurate when it's working.Those higher temps. are about right if your bikes all stock.ETMS is supposed to kick in @ 270*
Sending unit for the dash gauge is in the oil pan, right next to the drain plug.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:52 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER
Sounds like the dipstick is about right. You can always check it in some boiling water. I have seen a few installs of the sending unit for the dash gauge done incorrectly. Either not installed deep enough or the wrong sender was used. Was an adapter used for the sending unit?
I used the adapter that came with the HD oil gauge kit, and followed all directions explicitly.

FWIW, the adapter seated very deeply in the oil pan, and the sending unit also seated very deeply in the adapter.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2011, 08:54 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I have both gauges and have experienced the same difference between the two. I believe the reason is that the oil in the pan is actually cooler than the oil at the dip stick.
Hmm..., 30* cooler?

I'm not so sure about there being a temp difference in the two locations.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pan sender for most add on oil temp gauges has a bushing to mostly soak up pan temp because the bushing provides shielding to the probe from oil in motion from the way that I see it. Additionally the pan can be cooler, one it has more exposed air surface area and its at a low point. Heat rises. The dip stick is higher and contained higher in the oil flow so it realisticly can get a stream of higher temp oil straight out of the crank case and give that reading before the oil gets mixed with what is at the bottom of the pan.

As suggested, take a calibration reading with some boiling water to test you stick and you could take a IR Temp reading from the pan to see if it reflects what the pan probe is actually picking up. Then base your oil temps accordingly.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp Dash Gauge: 203*, Digital Oil Temp Dipstick: 257*, Which Do I Believe???