Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat and Circuit breaker on 2000 FLHTCUI

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 AM
sinisterbluehd
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat and Circuit breaker on 2000 FLHTCUI

I have a 2000 FLHTCUI. I replaced the 40 amp circuit breaker last summer due to sudden power losses.(Very Dangerous) I found out from HD that this was a defective part that was recalled in 2004 due to deaths caused from power losses. None of the dealers would install it for me since I purchased my bike privately, however they did sell me the New 50 amp circuit breaker which I installed in less than an hour. I had lost three PCIII's by then. Every time the circuit breaker popped open, it ruined my PCIII. PC replaced them each time. Well, since last summer I've had no issues with the Circuit breaker until last weekend. I had my 8 year old on the back for an evening cruise. We had to stop in traffic and wait for about 5 minutes twice due to the recent tornado damage clean up. As we accelerated off, bang the bike dies. I know from other times what it is. I disconnect the PCIII from the ECU, and off we go. How can I keep the heat of the manifold from causing this problem?heat and Circuit breaker on 2000 FLHTCUI-my-bike.jpg

Old 06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a parade fan installed wired back wards. I use the switched acc connection to power a relay which sends power from the B+ connector to the fan. When I hit stop and go, I throw the switch. Why did I wire it backwards? I wanted the air to blow from right to left instead of left to right. I think it's pointless to blow hot air into your inlet. I have a stage one, and also found the bike to run cooler if I take the egg shaped air intake cover off. same issue...with the cover on...during stop and go...you are sucking hot air into your intake.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,551 Likes on 3,058 Posts

My 2000 FLTRSEI ( 90,000 miles,) has the fairing and lowers and I just rode home tonight in 96 degree weather. Bought my bike used and the dealer did the 50 amp recall before I picked the bike up. Recall goes with the vehicle, not the previous owner / owners. Your Dealer sounds like he didn't want to deal with HD's very cheap labor re-imbusement to do the work. Nevertheless, it's never popped.

'When the breaker pops, the ECM / PC obviously shut down. There's no surge at that moment. It seems that there was too much going on right before the breaker popped. ( What popped the breaker broke the PC.) You are somehow over loading the system.

Did the Power Commander folks tell you that the circuit breaker was somehow blowing the PC?

I'm missing something...

Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 PM
sinisterbluehd
Novice

Hey Stig. No it hasn't shown any signs of overloading. Let me back up a little so you can get a better picture, after the second time my bike just stopped it blew the PCIII and the Stator. I replaced the Stator and the PCIII myself and it ran good for a bit and blew a third PCIII. I talked to HD and they explained to me about the recall 0113. A HD mechanic explained it to me that due to the heat from the header the spring inside of the circuit breaker gets weaker and weaker. Also he said each time it popped it may open and close a couple of times before it stayed open. Which explained why it would quit, come back on, then quit.He said it could cause a surge in my system, blowing the PCIII. After I replaced it with the 50 amp it has ran flawless for a year. Then all of a sudden I get in stop and go traffic and out it goes again. I believe it is heat issue on my Circuit Breaker. If it was overloading I would 've noticed it sooner do you think? Looking forward to your reply, Thanks man.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill have to check to see if I have the 50 amp on my 99 or not. How much was the breaker? Im assuming Hundred Dollars.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 235 Likes on 144 Posts

Subscribed

Old 06-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Quickie
Cruiser

I have a 2001 Ultra. Was this an issue for this year of bikes?

Old 06-09-2011, 10:46 PM
T3BEAR
Novice

I had a 2000 road glide with the same problem. Moved it behind the right side cover and that solved the problem. No wire splicing on mine, rerouted the wires and zip tied everything. Hope it helps.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok, go to an auto parts store, get some big beefy ring terminals , replace the ring terminals with the big fat ones.
Hogdoc told me to do this on mine, has worked flawless since.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same issues with my '03 FLHTI after seven years. Service manager explained the circuit breaker is heat sensitive , a fuse is not. Two options. 1-Relocate circuit breaker to a side panel away from rear cylinder heat. 2-Replace with a Maxifuse like the current baggers use.

Quick Reply: heat and Circuit breaker on 2000 FLHTCUI