Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:21 PM
Sammy1200N
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Question Road King vs Street Glide

I went to the dealership today to ride a RK and Street Glide. I've been riding my husbands RK so I was pretty sure that was the bike I would get. BUT I loved the street glide and totally didn't expect to. I'm really leaning to buy a SG but wanted some input from those of you with experience on both. I know the RK has better suspension but I ride a Nightster so most anything is a major improvement. My husband went back to the dealer to see how the SG fits and he can see it works better for me. Anyway I'd like to hear your comments and thoughts before I drop a bundle on a new bike. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:33 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Both are great bikes so it comes down to what you like.

Similar to you I came from a Dyna so the Street Glides suspension doesn't bother me at all.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Road king will have a little better ride, but you can play with the shock on the glide and make it better. It wont be as plush, but to me the SG is the hands down winner

Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I ride a Rk, but have ridden a SG. Both are great great bikes and have their pros and cons. It will boil down to what you like. Weigh out the good and the bad with both and try to make your decision that way. For me, the King is King. Good luck on your choice and congrats on whichever you choose.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As been previously discussed the SG will have a stiffer ride due to the shorter suspension, but the shorter suspension may fit you better depending on your size.

The other thing to consider is the windshield. The RK has a full windshield, the SG has a short windshield. I didn't like the stock SG windshield when I was test driving them. Its not the end of the world because windshields are easy to change.

Personally, if your husband has a RK, I'd get the SG so you have something different and you could ride what you felt like on any given day.

Good luck.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:29 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck
Both are great bikes so it comes down to what you like.

Similar to you I came from a Dyna so the Street Glides suspension doesn't bother me at all.
Have to agree with this. As bad as some say the Street Glide suspension is, it is a much better ride than the Fat Bob wife and I were riding.

Originally Posted by equandt
The other thing to consider is the windshield. The RK has a full windshield, the SG has a short windshield. I didn't like the stock SG windshield when I was test driving them. Its not the end of the world because windshields are easy to change.
Yep, the first thing most need to do is add a better windscreen/windshield.
I added a Clearview 9.5" with recurve and very happy with it.

Originally Posted by equandt
Personally, if your husband has a RK, I'd get the SG so you have something different and you could ride what you felt like on any given day.
Now, there is a good idea.
Just don't let the hubby take the SG away from you.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:59 PM
rlhdude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually went in to the dealership wanting a SG but walked out with the RKC.
SG was very nice but I did not like the clutter in front of me. I deal with computers and technology all day I didn't want to see more gadgets, just open road and the wind in my hair! Go with your heart and get what feels best to you!!

Old 06-20-2011, 07:08 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 01 Road King and love it and surely the newer frames make them better than mine (I would think). First of all the Road King is the most versatile bike in the HD line. IOW you could add a fairing, permanent or detachable, Tourpak or anything else for that matter if you liked or you could strip it down for the sporty look that I prefer. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I traded a road king for the street glide. I loved my road king, but I love my X even more. The batwing provides more protection than the windshield of the road king. I ride 2 up and have over 12K miles on my 2010 X with stock shocks.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The BIG advantage to the Street Glide is that it has the full touring bike wiring harness.

In other words it has all the plugs to hook up anything and everything an Ultra has.

The Road King has it's own wiring harness and it does not have any of the accessory harnesses.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Road King but if I would have had the money and the knowledge I do now I would have purchased a fairing bike.

And yes it is a Road King.

Quick Reply: Road King vs Street Glide