Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review of my upgraded audio system on 2011 FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:24 PM
kicker0927
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded audio system on 2011 FLHX

Okay, so I FINALLY had my audio finished on my 2011 Street Glide. For anyone looking at upgrading their audio system, this may help a little. I had everything professionally installed by a very reputable audio store. I went through 4 different systems till I got the sound I was looking for. I do a lot of highway riding so I needed something that would withstand very high volume and produce the clear sound I wanted.
I should mention, for anyone looking into upgrading their system that your local Harley dealership will NOT be complimentary of the work. Harley does not like aftermarket and makes no money by you allowing others to do the work, obviously. Aftermarket radio decks and speakers are going to blow away any Hogtunes, Hawg Wired, Biketronics, J&M, etc on the market and cost half as much. However, you will have to splice into your stock harness and you will also have excess wire under your fairing as some aftermarket companies will void warranties by shortening wires. It's not a big deal. It does not void any warranties, except if you ever blow a fuse (rare) Harley will not replace it, but the warranty through your installer will. It also will not effect any other warranties through Harley as this is in violation of the law due to the stereo being installed by a business who is certified in installing aftermarket parts.
That being said, lets get into the meat and potatoes! I installed:
-Fusion 150w amp $150
-Kenwood Excelon oversized 6.5" speakers (required the
brackets to fit larger speakers in the fairing) $120
-Alpine IDA-X100M deck -AWESOME AWESOME deck!!!! $400
-Alpine Sirius radio tuner $100
-PAC audio kit to retain handlebar controls $100
-Hogtunes Tweeter Pod $140
-J&M Fairing Speaker Mat $30
-Install Approx. $100
-Total Approx. $1140

FAQ:
-Yes, the Hogtunes tweeters are an absolute necessity, but not that great in sound quality. I did not replace them because they were new, but I will eventually switch them out for better quality tweeters. I recommend trying to find a Hogtunes Tweeter Pod that has had the tweeters removed and putting your own in. However, the Tweeter Pod is a must and looks fantastic.
-Another must is the $4.80 XM antenna mounting bracket that you can buy from Harley. I have never lost reception with it mounted under my fairing.
-No, the J&M fairing mat does not effect XM reception at all.
-Yes, the J&M fairing mat does make the sound of the speakers much better by retaining mid to low sounds that you normally would lose into the fairing.
-Yes, Biketronics makes a kit to retain handlebar controls for $250. The PAC audio kit is $90, but you lose AVC. I personally don't find the AVC to be worth the extra $160 so I did not opt for the Biketronics kit.
-If installed by a professional audio store, you should be offered a lifetime warranty on all parts and installation.
-Yes, the oversized 6.5" speakers make a world of difference from the stock 5.25". Def a must-have upgrade!!!
-Memphis Audio also makes a great speaker with very bright, crisp sound. If you are not going with the tweeter pod you may want to look into Memphis. If you decide to get the tweeter pod then you want something with a little more low-mid sound since the tweeters will be making up for the highs.

So, I hope that this was helpful to someone out there. This was my first motorcycle audio upgrade experience and like I said I went through 4 different systems to find the one I liked. If you have any questions or if I missed anything let me know. Ride safe!!!

Attached Thumbnails Review of my upgraded audio system on 2011 FLHX-lima-20110723-00129.jpg   Review of my upgraded audio system on 2011 FLHX-lima-20110723-00132.jpg  

Last edited by kicker0927; 07-23-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Sweet! How about a sound clip?

Originally Posted by kicker0927
Okay, so I FINALLY had my audio finished on my 2011 Street Glide. For anyone looking at upgrading their audio system, this may help a little. I had everything professionally installed by a very reputable audio store. I went through 4 different systems till I got the sound I was looking for. I do a lot of highway riding so I needed something that would withstand very high volume and produce the clear sound I wanted.
I should mention, for anyone looking into upgrading their system that your local Harley dealership will NOT be complimentary of the work. Harley does not like aftermarket and makes no money by you allowing others to do the work, obviously. Aftermarket radio decks and speakers are going to blow away any Hogtunes, Hawg Wired, Biketronics, J&M, etc on the market and cost half as much. However, you will have to splice into your stock harness and you will also have excess wire under your fairing as some aftermarket companies will void warranties by shortening wires. It's not a big deal. It does not void any warranties, except if you ever blow a fuse (rare) Harley will not replace it, but the warranty through your installer will. It also will not effect any other warranties through Harley as this is in violation of the law due to the stereo being installed by a business who is certified in installing aftermarket parts.
That being said, lets get into the meat and potatoes! I installed:
-Fusion 150w amp $150
-Kenwood Excelon oversized 6.5" speakers (required the
brackets to fit larger speakers in the fairing) $120
-Alpine IDA-X100M deck -AWESOME AWESOME deck!!!! $400
-Alpine Sirius radio tuner $100
-PAC audio kit to retain handlebar controls $100
-Hogtunes Tweeter Pod $140
-J&M Fairing Speaker Mat $30
-Install Approx. $100
-Total Approx. $1140

FAQ:
-Yes, the Hogtunes tweeters are an absolute necessity, but not that great in sound quality. I did not replace them because they were new, but I will eventually switch them out for better quality tweeters. I recommend trying to find a Hogtunes Tweeter Pod that has had the tweeters removed and putting your own in. However, the Tweeter Pod is a must and looks fantastic.
-Another must is the $4.80 XM antenna mounting bracket that you can buy from Harley. I have never lost reception with it mounted under my fairing.
-No, the J&M fairing mat does not effect XM reception at all.
-Yes, the J&M fairing mat does make the sound of the speakers much better by retaining mid to low sounds that you normally would lose into the fairing.
-Yes, Biketronics makes a kit to retain handlebar controls for $250. The PAC audio kit is $90, but you lose AVC. I personally don't find the AVC to be worth the extra $160 so I did not opt for the Biketronics kit.
-If installed by a professional audio store, you should be offered a lifetime warranty on all parts and installation.
-Yes, the oversized 6.5" speakers make a world of difference from the stock 5.25". Def a must-have upgrade!!!
-Memphis Audio also makes a great speaker with very bright, crisp sound. If you are not going with the tweeter pod you may want to look into Memphis. If you decide to get the tweeter pod then you want something with a little more low-mid sound since the tweeters will be making up for the highs.

So, I hope that this was helpful to someone out there. This was my first motorcycle audio upgrade experience and like I said I went through 4 different systems to find the one I liked. If you have any questions or if I missed anything let me know. Ride safe!!!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:16 PM
kicker0927
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Sweet! How about a sound clip?
Wouldn't let me upload file. Really didn't do it any justice anyways. I only had my blackberry to record it with and it was too loud for my blackberry to handle ...I turned volume up about 3/4 of the way. The audio is set to where I can max the volume out and still not harm the speakers. Its crystal clear till just about at full volume, then begins to get slightly distorted. I am usually borderline def after getting off the bike after riding on interstate! Kind of feels like when you just walk out of a heavy rock concert....

Old 07-23-2011, 05:03 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are using an aftermarket amp, I can highly recommend the Memphis Car Audio 6 1/2" marine speakers. They are crisp and clean and will handle any of the motorcycle amps out there.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:16 PM
kicker0927
6th Gear

Originally Posted by vickers1
If you are using an aftermarket amp, I can highly recommend the Memphis Car Audio 6 1/2" marine speakers. They are crisp and clean and will handle any of the motorcycle amps out there.
You are absolutely right Vick. I had the 6.5 Memphis on my bike, but when I got the tweeter pods I had to find a speaker with more lows in it. I do love the Memphis line though!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 146 Posts

Good deal on the system. Nice.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:52 PM
AbnMP13
Tourer

Where do you mount/keep your iPhone?

Does it charge your phone too?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

What were the other four systems you tried previously?

Carl

Old 07-24-2011, 08:51 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
What were the other four systems you tried previously?

Carl
Really good question !! By your 4th system,............you should have something that BLOWS mine away !!

That's why you are always better to go overboard the first time. Saves $$$ in the long run.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:56 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nice and interesting, thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Review of my upgraded audio system on 2011 FLHX