Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stumbling and sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 PM
RedHeartbeat
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding home Tuesday night and mine started sputtering, running rough and had a loss of power. It was over 100 degrees out and I had a full tank of gas, I had just filled up. I had felt this feeling before when I had a bad fuel pump on my truck so my first guess was fuel system related. I watched a youtube video on how to pull the pump assembly out and started my diagnostics on the fuel system. I didn't have a fitting to test fuel pressure before tearing into the pump assembly so I went at diagnosing the issue old-school. Once the pump assembly was out and on my bench I started looking at the multiple parts assembled before me and noticed that the fuel pressure regulator had seperated slightly from the plastic housing it fits into. I checked my mileage on the bike to be over 36,000 and since I bought it at 17,000 miles I knew the fuel filter had never been changed. My assumption was that the filter had so much resistance that it found the weakest point, the tabs that hold the plastic housing into the fuel pump assembly, and broke one of them with the energy from the pressurized fuel. A trip to the American Eagle HD today fixed me up with all the parts I needed to put it back together, a fuel filter, a pressure regulator housing, a new gasket for the top of the tank and 10 new screws to hold the pump assembly to the tank so there would not be any leaks. The fuel filter came with a new hose to go between the regulator and the pump, two new hose clamps and the whole purpose of the kit, the filter. 30 minutes of work and I am back in business and the bike runs better than it has in a long time. I am thinking I was losing pressure for a while since I had some audible pinging. My ride tonight produced no knock/ping sounds so the engine must be happy again. BTW, I simply used side cutting dyke pliers to crimp the hose clamps back onto the fuel pump fittings, just exercise caution and don't crimp the clamps with the force of a pitbull.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:40 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you all for this thread and the posts. I have been fighting this problem intermittenly for months! Have had it back to the dealer, he said it was normal! I know that when I pull away from a redlight & a car behind me has to slam on his brakes because my bike fell on its face that is not NORMAL! This only happens from time to time but when it does happen it continues for a few days it seems. When it is happening I can tell my bike is running lean because I hear pinging under load. That is not normal for my bike. I believe this thread has put me on the right track to figuring out my problem. Thanks again to ALL!

Old 05-11-2013, 05:43 AM
Gearnut
Stage I

Hey there,

I am having a similar issue. How did you eventually fair out? Did you permanently find the problem?

Old 05-14-2013, 01:52 PM
eberg
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribe

Old 09-13-2016, 08:00 PM
JJay
6th Gear
Default Rear cylinder only...

Howdy y'all? I have been reading all of the responses and they are all very excellent suggestions. I wanted some of those excellent suggestions that may be a bit more applicable to my situation.

I have a 2003 Road King Police. When running, it seems fine, a touch sluggish at times, but for the most part, it runs near perfect, if noisy (engine noise not exhaust). However, when idling, my front cylinder runs perfect and thee rear seems to be fighting.

I I have true duels, since I put them on, two years ago, I have noticed the exhaust sounded funny; I recently noticed the compression difference out of the exhaust. I know I need to adjust my tune, I am running a bit lean, but it seems as though my rear cylinder is not firing most of the time.

I think my coil is bad. I have done the tried and true remove the spark plug and crank it, test. Negative on spark for the rear.

I have been trying to find an OEM or a Screaming Eagle replacement coil, but I have been unsuccessful without going into the dealer.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Old 09-14-2016, 11:49 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

You resurrected a 6 year old thread to ask a question about your coil? You should go over to the engine technical forum and ask there, you will likely get more responses. As far as a coil is concerned you can buy them from several online HD dealers such as Boardtracker.com

I just purchased a new coil, S/E plug wires and Crank sensor from them at about 20% off MSRP, I believe.

Checkout ronniespartsfinder.com for the correct P/N's for your ride.