Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputtering and Hesitation on Acceleration....bad gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:59 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Sputtering and Hesitation on Acceleration....bad gas?

Rode about 80 miles Saturday, then yesterday I hop on and my bike rides like ****

I give it gas and it shakes and sputters, but not consistently. Just feels like not enough gas is getting to the system. I've had this happen before and just chalked it up to bad gas, but this is ridiculous - been doing it for 2 days now. Took it out today and thought I wasn't gonna make it home. I figured something was floating around and clogging it up or something

So I bought some seafoam, siphoned out what gas I had in there, put in some new gas, and went for about a 30 mile ride. It did it less but still did it some, but like i said, it hasn't been consistent anyway. I reckon I need to run that whole tank out with the additive, but metro ATL afternoon traffic made it hard to put too many joyride miles on today

tried to get some video, but it came out crappy and you can't hear the issue.

Any thoughts? bad gas, clogged fuel injector? It's a 2012 with just under 11K miles on it. plugs seem to be good

might have to take it in if this doesn't resolve itself with the seafoam...going on a 1400 mile trip this weekend and don't feel like pushing my bike for much of it

Old 05-12-2014, 08:08 PM
06Sporty75
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe plug wires? it's under warranty, can you take it in? doubt their can be that much bad gas out there. I run 89 the other day, was probably really 88 when mixed with the 87, it ran not quite as good but no sputtering, but I will always run 93 from now on..

Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain

I'm in the extended warranty....maybe that'll cover this issue, dunno

would bad plug wires be an issue overnight? and intermittently? It'll do this for a few miles and then ride normal for a few

I noticed it particularly if I was turning at a light in second gear

Old 05-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm new to Harley's, but have ridden bikes for over 30 years.
On newer fuel injected Asian V twins if the battery has bad connections it will act as you described.
Asian bikes will crank and start fine, but a slight drop in battery voltage will cause problems.
Check battery connections along with fuel trouble shooting.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:51 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Filter?

Old 05-20-2014, 02:25 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain

Well after running about 4 tanks out and a couple different fuel system cleaners, I took off for a trip this weekend, thinking it wasn't that bad any more and then about an hour from the house, it got so bad that I stopped at the nearest dealership. Couldn't take it any more. Turns out it had an an air intake leak to the rear cylinder. A stupid little rubber gasket and I was on the road for 1300 miles with no hiccups

The following 2 users liked this post by HedleyLamarr:
Marsikus (09-04-2022), WKE002 (09-07-2022)
Old 04-12-2021, 10:25 AM
Inkerz
Stage II
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yes

Originally Posted by HedleyLamarr
I'm in the extended warranty....maybe that'll cover this issue, dunno

would bad plug wires be an issue overnight? and intermittently? It'll do this for a few miles and then ride normal for a few

I noticed it particularly if I was turning at a light in second gear
Definitely yes I had the most annoying sputter choking and even backfire. I had changed plugs and new wires, air filter short of messing with the carb too much, I adjusted idle and fuel air mix all this helped but still the problem would arise,. Well guess what, I switched out one of the wires mind you they were brand new. Low and behold if that did not fix it problem solved the clue to me was only the rear plug was turning black sooty right after every ride so yeah it wasn't firing right grounding out thru the wire is suspect. Lesson learned never trust brand new products they may be new but not always reliable or with out defect. I am so happy now I can ride my Dyna with out embarrassment and grief. I know this is an old post but it may help someone down the road.

The following 2 users liked this post by Inkerz:
Hdrich! (10-15-2021), Johne1988 (10-08-2023)
Old 04-12-2021, 12:55 PM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 106 Posts

Sounds like a possible fuel issue. Fuel filter or fuel pump?

Had same symptoms on my kids Street 500. Ruled out plugs and wires. Did the seafoam as well. In the end found out there was a fuel pump recall on it. It was replaced and so far so good.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:25 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

You think he hasn't changed them since 2014?

Old 04-13-2021, 09:10 AM
Inkerz
Stage II
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FUJILICIOUS
Sounds like a possible fuel issue. Fuel filter or fuel pump?

Had same symptoms on my kids Street 500. Ruled out plugs and wires. Did the seafoam as well. In the end found out there was a fuel pump recall on it. It was replaced and so far so good.
I thought it might be fuel related and thought maybe the petcock filter, its a carbureted engine so no pump besides the pump on the carb itself. No it was a bad rear plug wire and it was new . The bike runs great now but thanks for your thoughts and advise. Ride on

Quick Reply: Sputtering and Hesitation on Acceleration....bad gas?