Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

P

Old 11-18-2006, 01:46 PM
Hang Around
Default RE: Possible cam chain tensioner noise

Be glad to. At first I thought it may have been the primary chain as I had just completed installing a new stator. I had long been planning on installng an automatic tensioner for the primary . After installation of the auto tensioner, the noise was still there and more isolated to the right side. As I said it sounded like some of the older cars that the timimg was off and upon acceleration or after you turned them off they would spark knock. Another description would be a loose chain sound or a bolt with a washer that isn't tight that has that metallic rattling sound. That's about it, that's the best I can do. I guess I was fortunate, happened at 85000 mile and change. Everything I have read says this is a common problem and usually one should start checking the tensioners at 30000. I hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Hang Around

Freeway, almost forgot to mention that the noise was more noticeable between 2500 to 3300 RPM ranges in 3rd and 4th gears. Seems like the more load on the engine at higher RPM’s the more noise. Once again, I hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:42 AM
Hang Around

Thanks for the reply Jmehaff. Mine is more of a sharp knocking noise that I think is coming from the primary -- I say "think" because I could be so fixated on the comp nut possibility that I could be fooling myself. I'm going to pull the primary cover tomorrow, put that shim on, and torque it down myself. If that fixes it, great. If not -- well, I'll be looking at those cam chain tensioners either way because I'm at 27,000 miles now and it's getting to be time.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Road Captain

AHay Freeway try the stethascope handle thing I mentioned to locate where the noise is before you tear anything apart. You will be amazed at how well youcan hear and locate knocks pings ticks whirls ect..
Old 11-20-2006, 02:33 AM

P